Sad story but real eye-opener on overweight towing

jbeletti

Hi all,

I was trolling the 5th wheel forum on rv.net and came across a post that had this link to another forum. The article at the link was about a couple who were towing with an overloaded flatbed trailer of quad runners (I think). Speed and overweight were contributors to terrible accident that included a fatality, large civil suit settlement and maybe jail time. It's worth reading and heeding. I know I am at my max GCWR so I need to be especially careful, especially on my towing speed.

Be safe out there.

(posting in Landmark forum too)

Jim

Trap

I know this is pretty old Jim But it sure makes for some interesting reading. I personally think we are going to see more of this happen, until they start clamping down on people running overweight. With the power of these trucks its just to easy to tow more than what the truck was designed for. We hear so much about people adding after market goodies to their trucks to improve towing performance. These trucks make it feel like there's no problem until we get into trouble and it's too late. Vehicle weight ratings are based on way more aspects than power.

Trap

kognito

Trap said:
I know this is pretty old Jim But it sure makes for some interesting reading. I personally think we are going to see more of this happen, until they start clamping down on people running overweight. With the power of these trucks its just to easy to tow more than what the truck was designed for. We hear so much about people adding after market goodies to their trucks to improve towing performance. These trucks make it feel like there's no problem until we get into trouble and it's too late. Vehicle weight ratings are based on way more aspects than power.

Trap

yeah, but you seldom hear of some one modifying the brakes. I think that is where the problems start. My new F350 with 4.30 gears can pull 18,500. But when I'm loaded, it still doesn't stop quick

Trap

That 's a real good point kognito and your right in all the reading in these forums on these trucks I've never heard of anyone talk about putting on larger brakes. There may be some but I haven't heard it yet.

Trap

Just to let you all know that this story has been floating around for a long time. It changes a little every time. It is not true and never happened so take it as it is, a story and CAMP ON!

rock

The story is probably a hoax but it is a just a matter of time before it becomes a reality. I have a friend in central Indiana that owns a large trucking firm that was sued and lost because one of his trucks was over weight and ran into someone and they got hurt. It was not all the trucks fault. The trucking firms lawyer argued the truck was not over GVW as stated by the manufacturer but was over Indiana's weights which are calculated based on their bridge law. Indiana, and some other states for that matter, set weights according to how the load will be distributed on their bridges. That is the reason you see so many stretched out tractor trailers. He was not over GVW and still lost the case for being over weight and unable to stop correctly. I personally have to much to loose to take my chance on an overloaded rig. I don't fault others for doing it.