Wanted: Gravity Feed Auxiliary In-Bed Diesel Fuel Tank

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am looking for a 30-40 gallon in-bed gravity feed diesel tank. I prefer aluminum, but will consider others.
Please PM me with what you have. Thanks, Trace

davebennington

We have a 60 gallon RDS tank. Works well I think they make a smaller version. I did not go with the gravity feed, I put a 12 volt switch and a pump in the line.

dave

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I am looking for a 30-40 gallon in-bed gravity feed diesel tank. I prefer aluminum, but will consider others.
Please PM me with what you have. Thanks, Trace

Trace,
I have the model you show in the attachment. I love it. Gravity feed, 37 gallon capacity. Works great. Perfect for the amount of traveling we do.

Jamie

Rrloren

I also have the one in your pic, it's 37 gal and gravity fed. I haven't found it to be a problem to open the valve when I want to dump fuel into the OEM tank. Be aware they don't hold the rated capacity, the most I get in mine is 34 gal. but usually I put in 33 gal.

porthole

Retired
I am planning on a 45 gallon version of a tank that looks just like the above pictured tank, from Tractor Supply

jnbhobe

I actually had Jamies tank but I wanted a bigger one. I pumped out of the 37gal and did gravity too. I went to a 60 gal tool box and I gravity feed it, I also use a solenoid on the outlet hooked to an upfitter switch. That works perfect.

TandT

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking at the 37 gallon RDS tank from Northern Tool for quite awhile. The price of $429 isn't bad, but they charge $150 to ship it, which makes the price seem not nearly as good.
I could pick it up in a store and save shipping, but Northern Tool stores only come as far West as Texas or Kansas. Right now I'm in California so my fuel cost would exceed $150.
I keep combing Craigslist hoping to find some thing decent. Everything is either junk, or people are asking new prices here for anything halfway decent..

I was hoping maybe someone here would have, or know of someone willing to sell a tank similar to the one mentioned above. Thanks, Trace

JWalker

I ordered the gravity feed kit from amazon, but it actually was shipped from Northern Tool. Pretty simple to install. I did add an inline filter between tanks. The overflow valve does work. I read complaints from people who had problems with fuel overflowing out the filler cap. I followed the directions and have had no problems.

TandT

Sumo,
Thanks, I forgot about KSL. I'll start watching it again. Trace

Wmnmy

I actually had Jamies tank but I wanted a bigger one. I pumped out of the 37gal and did gravity too. I went to a 60 gal tool box and I gravity feed it, I also use a solenoid on the outlet hooked to an upfitter switch. That works perfect.

jnbhobe I have a 2011 F250 lariat and I want to put a 60 gal tank in mine did it void your warranty ...

Mizmary

How necessary is the gravity feed part? We got a nice transfer flow in Visalia CA. It's called the fuel box by xlystra. It comes in the aluminum diamond plate and has a toolbox on top. Did you happen to see it in the truck when we were in Temecula? The place in Visalia worked with our schedule and got it done quickly.

He has put one in both trucks he's owned. It has worked for our needs. And the toolbox has sure come in handy. I don't remember what we paid for everything, though.

😊

jnbhobe

jnbhobe I have a 2011 F250 lariat and I want to put a 60 gal tank in mine did it void your warranty ...

My 60gal is an RDS combo box, its mounted under my hard cover and I use the gravity feed that Jamie mentioned. My dealer says it makes no difference on warranty. The solenoid I use came from http://www.stcvalve.com/ and hooked to the #4 upfitter switch. On a side note the gravity fill does not interfere with the fuel computer, it measures gallons used and the fuel gauge shows whats in the main tank

mobilcastle

I did the same-mine is a gravity 60 gal tank and it works great. No electric or pumps to install. Works like a champ. It is funny driving down the road after hundreds of miles and the tank still says full. Get ready to get your wallet out when you fill it.:cool:
I ordered the gravity feed kit from amazon, but it actually was shipped from Northern Tool. Pretty simple to install. I did add an inline filter between tanks. The overflow valve does work. I read complaints from people who had problems with fuel overflowing out the filler cap. I followed the directions and have had no problems.

Bob Vaughn

If the aux tank valve is always open and you open your main fuel tank fill camp will fuel come out of the fill neck?

JWalker

If the aux tank valve is always open and you open your main fuel tank fill camp will fuel come out of the fill neck?

No, it should not overflow. The overflow valve shut off the flow if fuel when it reaches that level in the filler neck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bob, ya know I have never tried it to see if that happens, but it might. If we take a long drive, I fill the main tank and then fill the aux tank. I have the same truck as you and the only thing that has happened 2 times, is the fuel gage went to empty cause I left the aux tank valve open. I guess the truck does not like the fact that we have driven 300 mi. without using any fuel according to the putor. As soon as The aux tank was empty the guage started working properly. To me it was a non-issue.

caissiel

I have a 22 gal. tank that I had made 20 years ago and now on 3rd truck.
I use a solenoid valve with a bypass manual. Usualy open the valve when main tank is half and shut when 3/4. Was told Fords will show a code after a while with gauge not moving. Never happened here.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

jimtoo

The is a auto backup valve the restricts flow when the main tank gets full. In my 04 if I drive with the valve open and keep main tank full after about 150--200 miles it will turn Service Engine light on because it sees that I am going someplace and not using any fuel. After turning off aux tank and using a little fuel light will go off. So I usually get main down to about 1/2 and turn on valve and let stay till I stop for the day or run out in the aux.

Jim M