Anyone living fulltime in a Big Country?

Anyone living fulltime in a Big Country? We are considering buying a Big Country for full time living, but have been told that they may not endure the rigors. Would love to hear about your experiences in this regard.

Thanks for your help!

danemayer

Hi janegowest,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get answers from friendly and helpful people. I'm sure there are many full timers in Big Country units who will jump in shortly to share their experience.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes - we have been living in our BC 3650 for over a year because of work. Haven't had any problems and our 2012 coach is rated for four season camping.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Anyone living fulltime in a Big Country? We are considering buying a Big Country for full time living, but have been told that they may not endure the rigors. Would love to hear about your experiences in this regard.

Thanks for your help!

Yep we are as well. Been in it since may and nothing unusual as far as issues living in it. Do you have any specific questions. Btw ours is a '14 3450 TS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VKTalley

Thanks for your help!

We live in our Big Country full time and have had no major issues. Ours is an early 2013 3690SL that we have be in since September, 2012 and pulled it cross country this past summer. Check out our blog for more details and ask away if you have any more questions. Everyone here on the forum are willing to help.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We are "part time" full timers.......been in ours since June 26th while we build our new home. Expect to be enjoying the BC for another 3-5 months. Ours is loaded up with pretty much everything, except the bike lock!:rolleyes: Not cold enough yet to see how the Yeti option works out, but the heat pump has been terrific in auto mode......"auto" hot or cold!!

caissiel

We have been FT in our 3500RL since summer 2009. 25000 miles and it looks as good as new in and out.
Best investment has been solar panels.
G rating tires still going strong.
Would not have anything else. Love our model much more then newer ones. Will have for a long time.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

We have been fulltiming in our Big Country 3650RL since August 30th. I was told the same thing by a few folks. I think it is a matter of what your budget can tolerate. We looked at several other brands including Mobile Suites but it was much more than we could afford. Do your research and keep asking questions.

Theresau

The Big Country has the same construction as the BH and LM. LM has a bit more insulation and built in AC's. All three are built on the same line. Not sure where you heard that they won't endure the rigor. Based on the responses here and other threads there are many that FT in one of these 3 coaches.

We won't be FT'ing all year but we will be while in Florida during the winter. We are very happy with our layout, etc. - like other BC layouts it's very residental. We don't foresee any problem with living in the coach FT in the winter.

Thanks for your help!

Always told that we need to go with Nuwa, Excel, Mobile Suites, etc. They do have great insulation and TONS of storage.

Does everyone find that there is sufficient storage? Have the cabinets, etc. held together well?

We were considering MS but the heavier weight requiring a bigger truck is not attractive. However, I have been told repeatedly that the heavier the better in terms of longevity. Also, that BC is the barely passable for fulltiming so that is why I am asking.

GOTTOYS

Big Country, Big Horn and Landmark all come off the same assembly line. All three have a warranty that will cover them for full-time use unlike many of their competitors...Don

Theresau

Have you looked at a BC? Heartland's have a great deal of storage.........

Always told that we need to go with Nuwa, Excel, Mobile Suites, etc. They do have great insulation and TONS of storage.

Does everyone find that there is sufficient storage? Have the cabinets, etc. held together well?

We were considering MS but the heavier weight requiring a bigger truck is not attractive. However, I have been told repeatedly that the heavier the better in terms of longevity. Also, that BC is the barely passable for fulltiming so that is why I am asking.

caissiel

Check the units on the road, at rest areas and see the units that are towed all over.
Most of the so called FTs expert choice of units are parked in campgrounds. All the ones I have seen. And its possibly the last unit before stopping traveling.
I cannot afford to tow heavier then our BC. So its right for us.
There is a MS next to my site here and looks like mine with drop frame and radius front cap. But I am on the road and they are seasonal.
Your choice.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

How do you all deal with there being no pantry? Where do you store your pantry goods and large cooking pots, crock pots, etc., since the BC has tons of drawers but not much bottom cabinet space?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
As far as longevity....we fulltimed in our Bighorn for six years, which is very comparable to the BC, and it was like new when we traded it for our Landmark. Everything held up beautifully, cabinets, hinges, frame, slides....everything. The dealership thought it was a 2012 when it was actually a 2008. Regardless of others opinions, the very heavy high-end units you listed are NOT required for fulltiming. Heartland makes some very well built, fulltime rated 5ers that can be towed with a normal 1 ton dually...

kowAlski631

How do you all deal with there being no pantry? Where do you store your pantry goods and large cooking pots, crock pots, etc., since the BC has tons of drawers but not much bottom cabinet space?

We have a 2013 BH 3670. We have our pots & pans as well as our plates, bowls, etc in the drawers. We have organized our pantry goods in the upper cabinets in baskets. The small appliances not used daily are tucked away in the bottom cabinets.

It's an arrangement that works for us. You just have to play around with everything & come up with something that works for you. I will say that baskets are my best friends in that I can group like objects together & be able to pull one basket.

Martha

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

Check out the 3450 TS. It has a "hall" closet that can be used as a pantry just to the right if the refer. Plus one cabinet has pull out drawers that we use for can goods and boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

You have to find the floorplan that best meets your needs. We love our BH