How long did it take the new smell to wear off in your Big Country?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have chemical sensitivities so I am wondering how long the new smell lingers?

Thanks for your input!

Helps to leave it open as much as possible especially when it is hot outside. We have been in ours since may and when I am away for a few days and I come home it still smells "new" to me but has never been overpowering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

It is faster if you can set up a breeze by opening a couple of windows and leaving your exhaust fans on when practical . . . pulls in fresh air and exhausts the standing air and odors inside the trailer. We use the fantastic fan in the living are, a Vortex fan I installed in the bathroom and the kitchen exhaust fan.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have been fulltiming in our Bighorn for almost three years.
The "new" smell is only obvious when the trailer had been closed up for a few days in warmer weather. However, it is not a bad smell, or overpowering. It is more like a faint smell of new wood. I have some allergies and it doesn't bother me at all. Trace

whp4262

My Cyclone is a 2009 and it still has a new wood smell if its been closed up for a little while. I'll take the new wood smell any day over the smell of mildew like we sometimes had in our class A.

Theresau

I too have chemical sensitivities so I understand what you are looking for here - it's not just the smell but the chemical feel as well.

We experienced this with both the TT and 2010 BH. But we didn't with the 2014 BC and we ordered all 3 so there wasn't anymore time lapse among the 3 coaches. We didn't even note a smell when we saw it at the factory right after it came off the line. We were very surprised about this. All we could assume is that they have improved their process. We especially never smelled or felt glue at all as we had with the other 2 coaches.

We did open it up just in case and ran the fans and I ran my small air cleaner but I didn't feel any issue at all - I did with the older coaches.

Hope this helps.
I have chemical sensitivities so I am wondering how long the new smell lingers?

Thanks for your input!

dave10a

The new smell can come from many sources like the styrene in fiberglass, new wood and the stain/used, but he worst of all is potentially the carpeting. I don't know what Heartland is using, but some carpets are dangerous so be ware. http://www.examiner.com/article/carpeting-the-good-the-bad-the-unhealthy

I ventilated my trailer as much as possible to reduce the odors because our cat's health could be compromised because of her close proximity to the carpeting while snooping like cats do.

The new smell can come from many sources like the styrene in fiberglass, new wood and the stain/used, but he worst of all is potentially the carpeting. I don't know what Heartland is using, but some carpets are dangerous so be ware. http://www.examiner.com/article/carpeting-the-good-the-bad-the-unhealthy

I ventilated my trailer as much as possible to reduce the odors because our cat's health could be compromised because of her close proximity to the carpeting while snooping like cats do.

Thanks for the link. There are some RV makers that claim to be "green." They say that they have low or no VOCs in their units. I wonder where Heartland falls in that category? I guess one could always replace the carpeting with natural wool, according to the article.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We've had our Trail Runner for almost 14 months now and it still has that 'new car' smell.

I'm in no hurry for it to go away.

Now that I think about it . . . my car is almost two years old and it still has that 'new trailer' smell! :p

Theresau

IMG_20130517_173756_360.jpgIMG_20130517_173814_719.jpgThe OP PM'd me for pictures of our 2014 BC which are attached. Note: the new 2014 BC's have different furniture and I requested the sofa was built without the brown piping.

Edit note: I deleted the 3rd picture because I realized it showed our garage contents - since these threads are public, didn't want this shown.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Wow . . .

Those pictures make us look like 'trailer trash' in our new 2013 Heartland Trail Runner . . . :rolleyes:

By the way, just thought I'd mention that I was born and raised in southern Michigan (Jackson - where the prison is).

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our rig is 5 years old and sometimes it has that kielbasa and sauerkraut aftermath fragrance, maybe with a touch of broccoli. On those days, campfires are forbidden by the Fire Marshal.:)