New addition!

ChopperBill

Well got Renee a combination Xmas and 50th birthday present. New miniature Australian Shepard puppy is now part of the family. Been fighting the doggy thing for 8 years. Gave in! Now I find out I am the primary care giver that I am retired. Nick sure is a cutie though. I may get attached! Not so sure Jake and Dixie, the cats, share the same sentiment however.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chopper, you will make a great new dad. The cats? They will get over it,LOL:) Merry Christmas and a great New Year. Bob and Pat :D :D

Sundance_kid

DSCF0022.JPGTrust me it won't take long and nick will whip you into shape!!! Have to run our Koby (Yorkie) around as his feet won't touch the ground.......

ChopperBill

I officially retired 10/7 and officially un-retired 12/16! Taking care of the puppy is wearing me out! Thinking about going back to work full time again to get some rest! Jake and Dixie ain't so happy yet either. Nick is happier than a pig in poop! Speaking of poop any tips on potty training?

jpmorgan37

Take him outside every two hours and when he goes, praise him and be very happy. Don't make the mistake of sticking his nose in it if he goes inside, just act very sad, don't punish, shame him and very soon, he'll get the idea. That always worked for me.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
jpmorgan37 said:
Take him outside every two hours and when he goes, praise him and be very happy. Don't make the mistake of sticking his nose in it if he goes inside, just act very sad, don't punish, shame him and very soon, he'll get the idea. That always worked for me.

We have a new 10 week old female and hasn't pooped inside since we got her. The peeing is harder to break because its hard for the young ones to hold it for any great length of time. Don't fill there water dish cause there going to try and drink it all because its there. When I let her out of her crate in the morning she dribbles all the way out the door ,then squats and gets rid of what little if any that's left. It does get better and Johns words of wisdom are true and praise goes a long way in accomplishing the task at hand. Try feeding last meal at bedtime, very little water and small contained bedding area to begin with cause they really don't like to poop or pee where they sleep......Ken

nhunter

We used to take away our labs water at 7-8pm. And right out the door in the morning. And ditto on John's comments, I doubt it would have worked on any of us!:eek:

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
The best results that I have had house training a puppy is to keep it inside a small box or crate when it the house. The puppy will not soil its bed if he is taken out at appropriate times. Bring it out of its bed (box or crate) whenever you want to play with it and can keep an eye on it. Whenever you take it out of its crate, immediately take it out for its dirty job and take it outside before retuning it to its bed. He gets the idea very quickly.
Good Luck,

ChopperBill

Really didn't want to do the crate deal but have been reading its the thing to do. He is following me around all day and just when I look the other way he takes a pee and I have been taking him out every hour or so. He has only been around here 3 days but is getting better. I suppose I took a long time to house break and I still have a little accident now and then. :eek: :eek:

jpmorgan37

Tell him "be a good dog" when you that him out and if he is, Get all excited and say "Good Dog, Good Dog" with lots of enthusiasm (cause you don't have to clean it up). Pretty soon, it will associate the Good Dog idea.

And who said this was a "strictly" an RV forum.

Cheryl

I got a new puppy 2 1/2 weeks ago. I have had a lot of success with her using training pads. I don't want to take her outside in the cold due to her size (1lb 6oz at 2 months). She sleeps in bed with us and hasn't had an accident there. As soon as we get up in the morning, I would put her on the pad and block her in, with lots of praise when she peed. Now, she goes there on her own all the time. I have to crate her when I have to go to work. But she does fine in it.

493401791209_0_ALB.jpg

truknutt

Committed Member
A Yorkie and a standard poodle? Sorry, my twisted mind just kicked in!

I thought she was a Labradoodle until I compared her to the water bottle.

Again, a cutie but I'd be afraid I'd crush her.

Dave

sidney dreyfus

doggie campers

I'm sure everyone will agree that man's best friend loves to camp. All that walking around the CG, meeting all those nice people who stop and give attention. Hanging out on the couch or on one of the recliners taking a short snooze. Well you know. Just like us. Just say camping, and they get all excited and are ready to go. Good luck and many fine years with your new buddy.

I may not know a lot of things in life but training dogs I know. Advice from above is good. CRATE crate crate. It's their home as the 5er is yours. Makes them feel secure and they normally will not go in it. Water - take it away around 7pm - no food after 5pm. No people food - EVER. Little breeds are tougher to housetrain then larger breeds. Keep at it - out every 2 hours, after each meal, the second they wake up. Sit, down, stay, come - start on them NOW. Ten minute training sessions - 4x day. Start and end each session with play. Teach in-between. Tooth brushing, and toenail cutting - every week (I do Sundays to keep it easy) If you can't do it now you don't stand a chance when they are grown. Daily brushing - ditto, if not now, you won't be able to later. This helps a groomer or a vet a lot. Hope this helps. Enjoy the little guy. My 82 yr old dad is about 3 months ahead of you with a Morkie. Having a tough time cause he loves the little guy and doesn't listen to his daughter. One more note - little dogs act like little dogs because people do not train them the way they do large breeds. Pint in size is still a dog!

Cheryl

She is Yorkie/toy poodle Her parents weigh 4 lbs. each. I have to crate her since I still have to work. She goes into it fine, no fussing or crying. I bought one that has a divider that you can move as the pup grows. She'll probably never need it fully opened, but it's the smallest one I could find. I have a portable kennel (small sized) that she fits in, but prefer to give her a little more room with the crate. I have been brushing her daily, with the curly poodle fur, she needs it. Her nails are light colored so it's easier to trim them, you can see the "quick". My vet disagrees on the pet food. He says to leave it out all the time. If they have a ready supply, they will not overeat. He does agree about the people food - none what-so-ever. I experimented with giving food at certain times and leaving it out. When I didn't leave it out, she would eat until her belly was bloated. Now that it is out all the time, she doesn't.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We agree totally on the crate...best way to go for training and it makes them feel safe and secure. They will retreat to the crate on their own, it's their spot for "kenneling", which is a natural instinct for a k-9. That is why they circle before laying down and quite often will lay against something, i.e, a corner of the room, sofa, even against a warm human body. The crate gives that secure feeling to lay against...it's their protection.

As others said, they won't go to bathroom where they sleep, and no water late in the evening. They can hold it quite awhile, and will. Took less than two weeks to train Katie with a crate, and she was only 10 weeks old when we got her. Hasn't had a "mistake" since and she's almost three.

Attachments

• 100_1132.jpg
    100_1132.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 10