New 08 Landmark Augusta Owner w/ Questions!

linuxkidd

Hi All,
Thanks for all your help in my previous thread ( Pre-owner questions ).

Thanks to Brent Hoffman at RVPriceBusters.com for a GREAT deal and for coming out in what turned out to be one heck of a snow storm to finish things up at the Springfield, OH lot.

Since we don't have a 5er Hauler at the moment, we paid for it to be delivered down to Lexington where we are staying till our House sells in Virginia. The Delivery driver was top knotch... Good thing his F-350 was 4wd cause he needed it in the snow that hit. I on the other hand drive an '06 Dodge Charger SRT. Lemme just say that 420 ft-lbs of torque in a rear wheel drive car does not make for an easy drive in the snow and ice. I ended up having to catch up with the Landmark once we got into Kentucky and the roads cleared up.

We've now stayed in it for 2 nights and have even had a chance to let company test out the inflatable sofa-bed. Absolutely loving the Landmark! We've had a few things that I needed to take care of, but I expected little things here and there. Just glad I'm a jack of all trades.

Here's to many years of fun and happiness in the Landmark!

LK

**Edit: I started out asking questions.. But got a call from the dealer mid typing and forgot to change the Subject before submitting... Thanks!

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Congratulations on your new Landmark. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours. It sure helps to be a JOAT, especially when you're pulling an eight ton house over some of our "highways". Stay close to the forum and if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. There are a lot of very knowledgeable folk here. Be safe, stay warm and have a wonderful Christmas in your new home.

John

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
linuxkidd,
Congratualtions on your new rig. I am very envious. My family and I have toured your rig prior to you purchasing it. We really love that layout. We hope to order ours early next year. I also hope that the people at Best Buy were helpful and curtious. We purchased our Bighorn from them (2) years ago and have been very happy with the unit and the dealership. I look forward to all of your postings here about your new rig.

Again, congratualtions and happy camping,

Mark

linuxkidd

Thanks for the warm welcome...

mrcomer: Very cool that you've actually seen my new home!

We first saw a Landmark Grand Canyon about 2 months ago while staying at the Kentucky Horse Park Campground. That's when I fell in love! At first, I didn't like any of the new floor plans as well as I did the Grand Canyon, but I came around on the Augusta. Really, the biggest difference is the fully separate bathroom. Works well for us since I'm usually up and gone to work several hours before the Mrs wants to be up.. :)

So... speaking of questions... here's one for ya..

The first day or so.. it seemed like the Landmark was stable as any house. Someone moving in one end didn't cause any movement on the other. A few loads of laundry and a couple of house guests later.. And now just walking around causes movement in the other end of the rig. I've added a bit more pressure with my rear stabilizers, but that doesn't seem to be helping. Is this normal? I'd really love to have it as rock solid as it was on day 1.

Thanks again!
LK

jbeletti

LK,

Congrats on your Augusta - an awesome unit.

Yes, unless you're sitting on concrete, expect some further settling of the stabilizers into the soil as all that weight continues to compact the gravel/soil.

A couple of ideas:

1. Rotochoks or similar between wheel chocks to really lock the wheels

2. King Pin stabilizer - some people like them. I hate to lug it around but I many feel it does help stabilize the trailer.

Jim

linuxkidd

Very cool Jim...

Didn't know that the king pin stabilizer even existed. According to the link you posted, it says you can run the washer/dryer with almost no movement in the coach.. That would be GREAT! (i.e. The wife would love me for it! )

I'm wondering how the Rotochocks you posted compare to THESE. My only concern with this type of setup is how much pressure is put against the hub/axle assembly. Or would I have to be Hercules before I'd need to worry about that?

Thanks!
LK

jpmorgan37

LK;
We use a bi-pod king pin stabilizer. If you have a Trail-Aire hitch, they don't really help a lot because of the air bag. I put a lot of pressure on my rear jacks and on the bi-pod. That takes care of most of the movement from walking around and Brandy (our 70# Golden). The washer still shakes when its in the spin cycle. If you are going to be stationary for a long time, block the frame to take the weight off of the suspension. The tires and springs allow for movement. Getting the weight off of them will make the coach stable.

John

John

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
linuxkidd,
Like Jim said, there will be settling so you will need to check things regularly. We use the BAL scissor style wheel chocks and also the BAL deluxe kingpin tripod. With two kids and a Golden Retriever in the rig these things really help stabilize the coach.

Later,

Mark

linuxkidd

Cool,
Thanks for the info guys.. Will definitely put that on the Santa list.. :) Right now, even when the Dachshund comes run'n, it feels like a heard of elephants.. And we are definitely gonna be stationary for a while...

LK

bowtorc

We just added the JT strong arm stabilizers and consider them a marked improvement over the tripod which we have been using for years. A little mor expensive but well worth the money and you dont have to load them up and store for travel. They are attached to the unit.

Roger

linuxkidd

Hey bowtorc,
Thanks for that suggestion.. I found them at this link. So, I'd need 2 sets of those to be 100% right? One of "Fifth Wheel Telescopic Jack Stabilizer", and I guess one of the Scissor Jack style for the rear.. Even though they're not really what I would call scissor jacks, the application looks about the same.

This sound about right??

Also, how would those compare to these BAL Lock arm stabilizer bars? The BAL versions look more cost effective, just wondering how BAL products compare.

Thanks again!
LK

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We have the JT stabilizers and the Rotochoks, two of the better investments we made both are keepers. Just get out the credit card its Xmas.:D ...Ken

On edit: JT stabilizers....you only need one set, it has both front an rear in box.

linuxkidd

katkens said:
On edit: JT stabilizers....you only need one set, it has both front an rear in box.

Was just coming back to say that.. I found a better description on another site that gave more specifics..

Thanks!
LK

theharveys

linuxkidd,
Congratulations on your new Landmark. We have a Landmark Augusta on order and can hardly wait to get it.
I found that telescopic jacks like these here (http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=18023&src=SRQB) add a lot of stabilization to the trailer if you place then under the frame, about a foot behind the rear axle and snug them up tight.
I had a dealer of some other brand tell me that he always mounted electric jacks on the frames of his personel trailers about one foot behind the rear wheel. I decided to try the telescopic jacks and am very happy with the additional stabilization at a very reasonable cost.
Merry Christmas and enjoy your new Landmark. :D