Cable TV and coax outlets in UDC, bedroom, and living room problems

Rudy415

Hi all:
I got my Road Warrior 415 and am working on getting the TV's up to speed. Last week I had the cable TV tech to do an install. We both worked on it. This is my second rig, and I am having the typical problem of what are the coax outlet's in the UDC exactly going to? I've read the other threads, and might have some warranty work. I was able to get good cable signal on the main TV in the living room. I also get good aerial reception on all 3 TV's, and know how to auto program the TV's. In the bed room, I can't get a cable signal. the tech confirmed no signal on his tester. I tested all three coax connections in the UDC, and don't know the rhyme or reason on what these all do and where they go? I still never got cable signal, and the booster was off. The cable guy said there may be some kind of a switch in there I don't know about. Whatever it is, it all appears crazy. Insight is appreciated into how the wired these plugs up. Thank you! Rudy

danemayer

Hi Rudy,

The antenna coax and the incoming cable coax come together at the signal booster. The output of the signal booster goes through various splitters and barrel connectors to reach all locations. So if the antenna TV is working (with booster ON) at all locations, and the cable works at the TV located by the signal booster (with booster OFF), cable should also work at other locations because the downstream wiring is shared with the antenna.

In your case, one long shot possible cause of a localized failure would be a bad connection where there's a loose crimp. It might be that there's enough signal getting through from the boosted antenna signal, but not the cable signal.

On some rigs, the bedroom connections for satellite and cable/antenna are on a wallplate in the closet. Then there's an additional wallplate with one coax wire that goes to a wallplate near the bedroom TV. In the closet, that wire may be jumpered to the satellite connector in the closet. To use cable or antenna, you would have to move the jumper.

There should be one cable connection in the UDC with a couple of satellite connections. Sounds like maybe your satellite connectors aren't labeled.

Rudy415

Thank you Dan. It has to be some localized failure in the locations in bedroom. How does the satellite hookup work? Does it go through bed room too? Thanks. Tray

danemayer

Rudy,

I'm not sure what the satellite config is on a RW 415. On our Landmark, there are 4 satellite connectors in the UDC. There's a pair for the living room and a pair for the bedroom. The reason they're paired is to use pre-wiring in the roof for a rooftop dish. If the rooftop dish is installed, you'd jumper across each pair to feed the rooftop signal to the living room and bedroom. I've attached a diagram of our Rushmore UDC connectors.

If your rig has 2 satellite connectors in the UDC, you probably don't have rooftop prewiring. One connector goes to the living room and the other to the bedroom. As mentioned earlier, on some rigs, the bedroom satellite connection, along with antenna/cable connection, are in the closet and need to be jumpered to the other connector that goes to the TV location. In other rigs, both types of connections are on a wallplate near the TV.

If you have the cable signal plugged into a satellite input, and the living room TV satellite connection is combined with the antenna on the way to the TV, that also might explain why there's cable at the living room TV but no cable signal at the bedroom cable connector. I wouldn't rule this out because sometimes the "professionals" guess their way through RV installations and do strange things.

Attachments

• Rushmore UDC COAX Wiring.pdf
    10.9 KB · Views: 130

Rudy415

Dan
thank you so much. Your forum is so great. You hit it in the head- no telling what the installers did. I have enough info here to run with. Rudy

pegmikef

Hey Dan, On my UDC, the living room is the third from the left. I don't use a bedroom TV so I don't know about that one. I wonder if they changed it for the 2014s.

Rudy415

Got if figured out based on all the help from the forum! here it is for the next guy:
Road Warrior 2014 cable and satellite coax hookups:
UDC - 3 connections- Far Left is cable TV and goes to the bedroom and main TV. That connection goes through the booster. In order for the Cable and Antenna to work, it is the same connection. Via the TV, switch between Cable and Air. You must auto program the TV in both modes - Air and Cable.
Then keep the booster off for Cable. Once you figure out bedroom, go to the main TV and they should all work. It was majic to my eyes when I had this doped out and both TV's worked.

the far right connection in UDC is definitely only for satellite in the living room main TV That explains why I could never get a signal in bedroom through this port.

Middle coax connection in UDC- I dont have the satellite, but I'm willing to guess - and based on the other posts - it goes for a second satellite system through the roof, or to the to some other TV, probably the bed room. I will cross that bridge later/

Thank you all!

frumbawa

Middle coax connection in UDC- I dont have the satellite, but I'm willing to guess - and based on the other posts - it goes for a second satellite system through the roof, or to the to some other TV, probably the bed room. I will cross that bridge later
On my Cyclone, the middle connection in the UDC feeds the basement connector on the door side of the rig. I was told by Heartland and have personally confirmed since, there is no satellite connection in the bedroom.

Frank

Rudy415

Thank you Frank. I haven't gotten there yet and that makes perfect sense. I have 2 connections in the basement on the door side ? Any idea?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
It may not tell you EVERYTHING you want to know but there is probably a drawing with labels of all UDC connections on the inside of the Slam Latch door at the UDC.
The booster switch on our Cyclone is behind the bedroom TV (the TV must be taken down to access it) The plate has 2 connections...one for Cable/Air and the other labeled Sat. The SAT connection is hooked to nothing behind the plate.

frumbawa

Thank you Frank. I haven't gotten there yet and that makes perfect sense. I have 2 connections in the basement on the door side ? Any idea?
One is satellite, the other is cable/OTA. I can't remember which is which off hand.

Frank