Fireplace sound

Mizmary

While we wait for suburban to ship the control board for our furnace, we have been using our fireplace a bit more.

We noticed after a few nights of use that it started to make a realistic "fire crackle" sound. It was very disturbing so we did a bit of investigation. We pulled off the bottom panel, and if you look up behind, there is a piece of foil that rotates to make the pretty light show. That piece was rattling a bit as it rotated.

No electrical shorts or anything. We had a good chuckle (after RamDually got past the burns on his hand from accidentally touching the hot incandescent bulbs under there).

I wonder if we could save power by removing the light bulbs and running the fireplace without the light show? We use it primarily for emergency or electrical heat .... Hmmmm....

Garypowell

Not sure of your heater model but our 2013 has buttons on it to turn the lights off. And the remote can turn the off lights too.

Mizmary

When we shut the lights off the heater goes off with it.

They dim, but that's it. Maybe I need to do more research. We don't use the fireplace often. I do love telling people that we have one in our camper. They look at me like I'm nuts. 😜

Garypowell

We have 5 buttons on our front.

1. Off on
2. Press for heat no heat but lights
3 flange off on
4 raise temp
5 lower temp

ours has a thermoset function

and then there is the remote too

wdk450

I use my fireplace for mood most every night. I use it for overnight heating when it is chilly. I like the idea of "fireplace sound". I am going to see if I can get a MP3 file of fireplace sounds I can play back on an mp3 player in repeating mode. Maybe i can even find some "fireplace smell" room spray. I saw electric fireplaces on QVC that had a "smell" pad in the heated air stream, but they had fragrances like vanilla or potporii.

Kbvols

Bill
your post made me chuckle. We have a cabin that only has a wood stove for heat. We have plenty of "fireplace smell" and I can't say I like it that much. Now if I can just figure out how to bottle that smell I could be rich. Of course I would send you a complimentary sample.

I use my fireplace for mood most every night. I use it for overnight heating when it is chilly. I like the idea of "fireplace sound". I am going to see if I can get a MP3 file of fireplace sounds I can play back on an mp3 player in repeating mode. Maybe i can even find some "fireplace smell" room spray. I saw electric fireplaces on QVC that had a "smell" pad in the heated air stream, but they had fragrances like vanilla or potporii.

Manzan

wd450, both the sound and smell are available. I think Balsam incense is the best for the fireplace aroma. The sound comes in a variety of formats and lengths. I had did some research on them a week ago to go with my gas log in the sticks and bricks.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

dalspot

We replaced the incandescent bulbs with the candelabra type CFL bulbs in ours because I didn't like how hot they got. Much better on the heat, tho I'm not sure the flame is the same. We can't turn our lights off either and just have the heater going, even tho the manual says you can!

Mizmary

We replaced the incandescent bulbs with the candelabra type CFL bulbs in ours because I didn't like how hot they got. Much better on the heat, tho I'm not sure the flame is the same. We can't turn our lights off either and just have the heater going, even tho the manual says you can!

Good idea. They use less power which is my main concern. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't - or hasn't figured out how to - turn the fireplace off and keep the heater on. Oh well. 😝

It might be time to find some fireplace scent for the holidays!! :)

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our fireplace is set up the same way, lights on by themselves, or lights and heat. Can't have heat with no lights. Trace

Theresau

We have electric fireplaces at home. I'm allergic to wood burning. We always remove one of the light bulbs. Like it better. They have controls to dim but like this.