Two Questions from Potential Big Country Buyer

GaryB

Hi: It's been awhile since I posted but my search for my first RV has come back around to Heartland. I'm considering a Big Country since my part-time weekend-style camping (except 1-2 longer trips each year) will not warrant a more expensive unit. Also, I want to make sure I like the RV lifestyle. So my two questions are:

1) Last year, there was much talk about Big Horn problems with bowing water tanks and insufficient A/C duct air flow ("tent-in-vent" fix???). The Big Country was just becoming available this time last year when I stopped frequenting this forum. Have these two problems been resolved, or are new owners still experiencing them?

2) What are the major structural/construction/quality differences between the Sundance, Big Country and Big Horn? I'm referring to things such as roof/wall material, insulation, furniture/appliance/fixture/tire quality, etc.? I can determine the differences in standard features/options from the website, but I am referring to the other things I mentioned above.

(Edited to add third question)...

3) Does Heartland introduce "mid year" model changes? In other words, if I buy a 2008, will it be sure to have all the 2008 changes included? I found the build configuration for a particular model year can vary with some other manufacturers based upon when in the model year (early, middle, late) the unit was built.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!
Gary

Last edited:

boatdoc

We're shopping for a Bighorn right now and from what I have found for your question #3 is Heartland makes changes not to the floorplan but to the way the coach is built and extra's added. I believe they call it "running changes". On the Bighorn it is difficult to keep up with them and NO WAY sales people do. I'll ask a question about a certain coach, if I'm looking on the net, and 99% of the time they say "when did that change" or "you can't get that". So make sure you know exactly what the caoch has before you strike a deal and have them email you lots of pics if "net shopping".

todalake

Look at yesterday's thread of BigHorn vs BigCountry. I didn't see a lot of structure differences other than what I noted.

big tom

o8 bighorn

I picked up a 2008 Bighorn in Elkhart on 7/08/07. No problems with the A/c vents, we were in 97 degree weather. One a/c kept things cool, even in the bedroom. Water tank had a few problems. The vents had to be re-routed,one kinked and one dipped low and held water. Also the fill tube dipped and had to be re-routed. I had an ind. shop do the fixes,they also shimmed one side of the tank so it would drain more thoroughly. Heartland authorized and paid for all.