ATF: Road Warrior - pin box flexing

ray587

I just noticed that when I hook up my 381ck to my truck and raise the landing gear that my pin box is flexing about 1/2 inch. Is this normal?

danemayer

Hi ray587,

Could be a problem with the frame. You'll need to take pictures that clearly show the flex. Set the camera on a tripod or other fixed object and take pictures with gear down and with gear up. When you have the pics, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. If you email the pics while on the phone, you can discuss what you're seeing.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'm curious as to where you took the 1/2" measurement? The average flexing from the pin plate to the landing gear leg is more like an inch. If the pin plate itself is tilting 1/2" then I may be concerned. (check the torque on the pin box bolts)

ray587

The pin box itself is tight but it seems the whole front frame the pin box is attached to is recessing up into the trailer about 1/2 inch and there is a grinding noise behind the front cap when I raise the landing gear. The outside walls are also pulling up at the molding around the bottom about 1/4 inch. That really concernes me because the last 5th wheel I owned buckeled the walls so much they delaminated so bad about 6 ft of the fiberglass blew off. It's not too bad right now but I'm afraid over time will it get worse.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you taken pictures and made that call to Heartland yet?
Don't delay.

Peace
Dave

taken

I asked this same question a while back although mine only goes up about 1/4 inch. I got varying opinions here so I contacted Heartland who told me it is 100% normal. They all do it but depending on how high up your pinbox is mounted, you might not notice it. I never noticed it on mine until I raised my pinbox up to the top mounting holes. Bottom line is that if the frame didn't flex a tiny bit with thousands of pounds added to it, it would snap.