TPMS over winter

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Everything is winterized for the next 5 months or so. Was wandering if I should remove the TST 507 system over this period. Tires will be covered but they will be in sub freezing temps plus sitting in snow for long periods. I would imagine that they would be fine, just looking for opinions. Also, what is the expected battery life? I have used the system for 1 season now. I would think it would be soon time to change them out. Thanks

Jamie

jnbhobe

Jamie take the sensors of that will save on the batteries

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

Jamie I have over 3 years on mine and I replaced 3 batteries out of the 8

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Jaime - you do have the sensors with the replaceable batteries right, the 507?

Truck - they stay on all year
Trailer - I take them off when I winterize, no particular reason.

Batteries, change every spring.
Call TST, they will send you at no charge all the o-rings plus a few spare. Batteries I usually just look for the best evil-bay deal. Have goten tehm as cheap as $9.95 for 10 delivered. This past spring I got them for $15.99 delivered.

Current search, just double check your battery number

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ERGIZER+3V+LITHIUM+CR1632+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Jaime - you do have the sensors with the replaceable batteries right, the 507?

Truck - they stay on all year
Trailer - I take them off when I winterize, no particular reason.

Batteries, change every spring.
Call TST, they will send you at no charge all the o-rings plus a few spare. Batteries I usually just look for the best evil-bay deal. Have goten tehm as cheap as $9.95 for 10 delivered. This past spring I got them for $15.99 delivered.

Current search, just double check your battery number

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ERGIZER+3V+LITHIUM+CR1632+&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Yep, I have the 507 system. For that price, I will also replace them every spring, just to be sure. Thanks

porthole

Retired
The 507 has a recommended yearly battery replacement anyway Jamie.
The O-ring self destructs when you take the cap off, so order replacements first.
The O-ring looks like it will not fit, but it will stretch far enough to seat in the groove.

A cheap set of HF dental picks will make the job a bit easier.

TXTiger

I have had my TPMS since I purchased my rig May 2012. I leave the sensors on all year but I don't have snow or extreme cold at my storage here in Calif. I ordered the o-rings to change the batteries at the beginning of last season but never changed them. The original batteries are still working. Will change them as a precaution this next spring. Don't want to be on the road and have them go dead.

dave10a

Low temperature for nicad and lithium batteries is not a problem. Temperatures at -40deg F show no detrimental effects.