Help required on. rear end axle ratio choice

TacoTom

Hello everyone
I am sorta new to the group, and it looks like I am ready to pull the trigger on a new truck and trailer, the combo in the crosshairs are a 2013 Ram 3500 Larimie Longhorn DRW crewcab long box with the 6.7-liter I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel coupled with the Aisin HD 6 speed Trans, I will be "tuggin" on the cyclone 3800 toy hauler that has a GVW of 1800K, I going to try and squeeze in a Can Am Spyder and Can Am 650 XT Quad in the garage portion of the Toyhauler.

I will be primarly be pulling in western Canada, throughout Alberta and British Columbia which is quite mountainous, so my question is, what rear axle gear ratio should I go with to get the blend of decent fuel mileage and good pulling?
I appreciate your feedback
Tom
PS I can't believe the difference in price for the Cyclone 3800 in the USA-$59,000 in Canada$97,000 same options, sorry Canada might have support the US economy this time, even with the currency exchange it $25 to 28K difference. I am missing something here?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We pull an 18000lb Cyclone with a '12 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW with the Tow package (4.10 rear end). We're getting consistent 9.8mpg while towing and 16-17 on the hwy when not towing.
The big thing is to make sure you aren't exceeding any of the limits placed on the truck. Here's the link to the Ram Towing guide on their website. It will tell you the minimum axle ratio required for the way you'll use the truck.

wehavefun

You will save big on tge truck also if you purchase state side! However you will not get warranty on the truck in Canada. It is Dodge's way of protecting the dealerships, but you will save $20k on the truck also, can't believe you will ever have $20k in warranty work unless you get a huge lemon.

To me buying both, I would gamble! Your talking 40 - 50 k !

It is very easy process to cross vehicles as long as you are doing it yourself! Find a USA resident to purchase and re sell it to you. A fully loaded 3500 Laramie is 55 - 57k

Good luck!

To answer your question about ratio, I have a 2012 with 4:10's a good friend of mine as a 2012 with 3:73's both are identical other than ratios and color, we both pull similar 40 ft bunkhouses from Heartland, we didn't see any differences in mileage on a 600 mile trip together!

danemayer

PS I can't believe the difference in price for the Cyclone 3800 in the USA-$59,000 in Canada$97,000 same options, sorry Canada might have support the US economy this time, even with the currency exchange it $25 to 28K difference. I am missing something here?
I'm not sure, but I think I recall a thread discussing customs/duties being a significant amount when transferring title from U.S. to Canada.

wehavefun

You pay the same taxes or duties that you will if a Canadian buys from a Canadian dealer, just on a lower amount, it also depends on the vehicle, say a VW or BMW they are very close in price like 3,000 differences so it may not be worth the hassle, but for 40 -50 grand you bet your ... I would find a Stateside friend in a hurry! Just sayin.... I am not trying to avoid taxes I pay my fair share and then some, this is keeping money your giving to brokers and dealers, your not getting away wiyh anything or doing anything illegal.

hoefler

I have owned an 08 Quad cab long bed with the 3.73 axles and 2010 Crew cab long bed with 4.10 axles. I prefer the 4.10's, while there is no real measurable difference in mileage, it does tow better, especially in the mountains, maintains speed better without shifting as much. My 2014 will have the 4.10's

57chevyconvt

I have the 3.73 axle ration and brother-in-law with identical truck with 4.10 axle ratio. I much prefer the 4.10 rear end to keep the RPM's at the peak rpm/torque range for the desired road speed. His truck get better fuel mileage than mine because he is not lugging the engine, also the EGT runs cooler at the peak rpm/torque range of about 2000 rpm.

DW_Gray

Generally, I'd recommend nothing less than 3.73. Considering the mountainous terrain, you may be better off with the 4:10. On the other hand, with the recent more powerful engine and transmission from Ram, there may not be that much difference in capability and any fuel savings. I haven't seen any test results on it.

CrazyCooter

Any of the available ratios will pull 18,000 and be within Dodge's ratings. Like suggested above, I would lean to the 3.73's in hilly country and 4.10's if you plan to pull up to that 28,500 rating or install larger tires.

For me, it would come down to how often do you plan to pull vs. run unloaded?

TacoTom

Awesome! Glad I asked the group, you guys are a wealth of info!! I am going to take the advice and steer towards the 4.11's as I will be in travelling in mountainous terrain, such as the Coquihalla highway, http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/coquihalla/ . This is where a popular TV show is filmed http://www.discovery.ca/showpage.aspx?sid=45238 . I think with the 6 speed Aisin it should be a good combo. As far as buying the truck from the USA, that wont be necessary as I found out since I work for the railway (35 yrs) I receive a discount of $25.00 over dealer cost here in Canada, so the cross-border savings would be minimal. However the trailer is a different story, as even with the currency exchange it is $25 to 28K difference, and that would buy me a whole lota other stuff needed...lol

Sajo

Well, just to add my two cents worth, we tow a 3650 Big Country Gold Edition. Tow unit is a 2012 Ram 3500 Dually, 6.7 cummins, 4x4, crew cab with the 4:10 rear. Here in the south (Al) seldom do I use tow mode unless in town and need the exhaust brake. We did go to Oklahoma last spring and used tow mode when in the steeper hills. The 5er weights 12,500 dry and I avg. 10.6 mpg but only run 62mph, even on interstates. Love my Dodge.....

sajo

mobilcastle

I think your idea is right way to go. Good luck with the new combo!!
Awesome! Glad I asked the group, you guys are a wealth of info!! I am going to take the advice and steer towards the 4.11's as I will be in travelling in mountainous terrain, such as the Coquihalla highway, http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/coquihalla/ . This is where a popular TV show is filmed http://www.discovery.ca/showpage.aspx?sid=45238 . I think with the 6 speed Aisin it should be a good combo. As far as buying the truck from the USA, that wont be necessary as I found out since I work for the railway (35 yrs) I receive a discount of $25.00 over dealer cost here in Canada, so the cross-border savings would be minimal. However the trailer is a different story, as even with the currency exchange it is $25 to 28K difference, and that would buy me a whole lota other stuff needed...lol