Bubble in the tire already....

Porkchop

Hi everyone! I haven't been on a while and I apologize. But I know you all give great advice.

We purchased our Heartland Cyclone 3010 back in May 2012... We just noticed a little bubble on the side wall so I know it's going to be time to change. Since I've NEVER had any experience with a RV before I was hoping you could help me through the process.

1) Change all 4 tires correct? How soon should I change it (we are done for the season) and it's difficult for us to get to the RV sometimes. If I need to change it immenently, I will do so.
2) What size wheel do I have and what size tires. Someone suggested these: 17.5" and Goodyear G114'
3) I am in NJ (RV is down near Deptford) and any one in NJ have suggestions on where to go?
4) Should I consider buying it online and bringing the RV to have the tires changed or just go to Camping World or any other RV dealer?
5) How long should tires really last?

Sorry about all the newbie questions and thank you! We had a wonderful season in the RV again!

Irene

hoefler

Do not tow the trailer until the bad tire is replaced. It is already coming apart, you do not need the thing to disintegrate on the road and trashing your rig.

jbeletti

Consider contacting Tredit Tire and Wheel (800-537-2925) as there may be some remaining warranty on the tires and they may be able to steer you to a warranty dealer nearby - even if you don't want the same brand tire again. It's a place to start anyway.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If you go with the 17.5s you will also have to buy new wheels. Not sure what psi rating your current wheels are - it should be stamped inside the wheel on the back side. If they are 110psi, and you want to stay with the 16" tire, I would recommend the Goodyear G614. The best price can often be found online at either SimpleTire.com or Tiresandwheels.com. They ship them to your home. If you have the level up system, it's easy to take the current wheels off, take them to a tire shop, and have the new tires put on. A Merchant's Tire and Auto in our area charged me $10 to swap a tire.

whp4262

Hi porkchop. The outer layer of rubber on your tire sidewall does not have any real structural strength. It's kind of like a coat of paint that makes the tire look better and protects structural part of the tire, the belts that make up the tire carcass. Once this inner structure has been compromised it can allow air to pass through and collect under this outer layer of rubber causing a bubble. Once this bubble pops which it will in a short time, you will experience a blow out. Same thing if the bubble is in the tread area. You need to change out any tire that has developed a bubble before you tow again. If you live in NJ you are probably pretty close to the end of the season. If the other tires look ok put the spare on and new tires at the beginning of the next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porkchop

I'm guessing there are some benefits to going to a larger tire,so I need to check a few things. Like - if I'm changing the tires how much more would it be to buy new wheels - and is there a preference of name brand etc? But first I have to be sure that it can be done.

I'll call the company and see what they say Jim. Thanks for the suggestion!

I don't have a level up system and sometimes wish I did.

Bigburd

17.5" G114's are not any bigger overall, almost same size a stock junk. Only the rim size changes. These tires are more of a truck tire. Just put 2600 miles on mine to the Keys and back. I believe around $2600.00 for four, mounted on aluminum rims and balanced.

TXTiger

If you want to stay with the same rims but get a better tire look at the Mitchelin XPS Ribs. They will fit on your 16 inch rims and only require 80 psi. Also, tires while in storage if uncovered will degrade from the sun and elements. Even if covered they will get a low spot where they sit on the ground unless you roll them occasionally. I recommend that you store your RV with the old tires and get new ones before you head out in the spring.

porthole

Retired
Irene, You really have to know what rating your wheels have before you go too far.
UN-scientific quick method is to count the spokes. Almost all of the 5 spoke wheels are only rated to 80 PSI, the 8 spokes to 110 psi.

When I replaced mine I wanted the better and higher pressure Goodyear G614's. Those tires required new wheels as mine were only 80 psi rated.
But, at the time it was less expensive to buy four 17.5" wheels and Goodyear G114's then it was to get the G-614's and new wheels.

Personally, I believe the 17.5" and the 114's are a much better option for 2 axle toy haulers.

I would wait until the spring unless pricing is much better now.

And I would highly recommend Scott at Trailer Tire and wheels. Best pricing shipping and service, hands down.

Contact Tredit as Jim suggests. I did that and for me it was not cost effective. Was not worth the trouble and effort to ship back a bad tire. Which I believe in the end is the desired result.

I do not understand why known bad tires can't just have a picture submitted, by a tire dealer, and go from there.

wdk450

Porthole and All:
When I had a cracked wheel, I sent Tredit pictures, and then they shipped out a new wheel with UPS prepaid return shipping. Shipping didn't cost me anything.

Last edited:

brianharrison

We purchased our Heartland Cyclone 3010 back in May 2012... We just noticed a little bubble on the side wall....
Irene

Irene, what does the bubble look like? - Like a soap bubble with thin skin, that you could pop with a needle, or a dimple-ish indentation that you can feel when you run your hand over the sidewall? Two different scenarios, IMHO.

As mentioned, pictures from a couple of different angles, with a ruler in one of the pictures to gauge size, - will help the tire company diagnose remotely, via email.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Porkchop

I'll take pictures the next time we go down there and post them here.

Porthole, thanks for the local suggestion. I'll wait til the spring to order the tires since we are done with the RV for the season. It's already been winterized!

Thanks!
Irene

Irene, what does the bubble look like? - Like a soap bubble with thin skin, that you could pop with a needle, or a dimple-ish indentation that you can feel when you run your hand over the sidewall? Two different scenarios, IMHO.

As mentioned, pictures from a couple of different angles, with a ruler in one of the pictures to gauge size, - will help the tire company diagnose remotely, via email.

Hope this helps,
Brian

olcoon

One thing about it is, your camping season is over until spring. So no matter what you do & what you decide, there is no hurry, you can spread the replacement purchase out over several months & it won't hurt as bad as if you did it all at once!