Need to remove Dimplex fireplace.

Ornofrk

The fireplace in my 2011 Big Horn 3670 quits throwing heat after about 5 minutes of operation. After I turn it off (which resets the overheat temperature cutoff switch), it runs for another 5 minutes and cuts off. I contacted Dimplex and they advised me to clean out the vents. Dust and fibers from the carpet can cause the unit to overheat. I tried that and it did not work. The cutoff switch is obviously bad. Dimplex said that you can't just replace the cutoff switch. You have to replace the entire heater assemply. They will send me one for $147. I need to know how to remove the fireplace from the wall. The fireplace is surrounded by molding. I can't see any nails or screws holding it on. Is the molding glued on or is it nailed? Before I attemp to pry it off, I need to know if I can pry it loose (without cracking the molding or ripping up the wall). Once I get the molding off, it looks like there are only four screws holding the fireplace to the RV. Has anyone else tried to remove their fireplace from a 2011 Big Horn in order to work on it?

Jerry Orndorff
2011 Big Horn 3670

Rickhansen

Our '09 3670 has screws holding the front fascia trim in place. They are under wooden buttons that are glued into countersunk holes. They can be pried out with a straight slot screwdriver or gently twisted out with a pair of pliers.

Westwind

Is it possible to find a fireplace to take the place of the Dimplex, there are so many different types of electric fireplaces you might be able to find something to take it's place that costs less or look on Amazon or Ebay.

Rickt

How did you clean out the vents? I had the same problem last winter in Texas. What I did was setup my air compressor when I got home and blew air through the vents for about ten minutes total. It has worked good ever since. I had tried to clean it with a cloth but you can't get far enough inside the vents to do any good. I suspect if you blow the unit out once every couple of years you should not have any problems.

Dave49

The fireplace in my 2011 Big Horn 3670 quits throwing heat after about 5 minutes of operation. After I turn it off (which resets the overheat temperature cutoff switch), it runs for another 5 minutes and cuts off. I contacted Dimplex and they advised me to clean out the vents. Dust and fibers from the carpet can cause the unit to overheat. I tried that and it did not work. The cutoff switch is obviously bad. Dimplex said that you can't just replace the cutoff switch. You have to replace the entire heater assemply. They will send me one for $147. I need to know how to remove the fireplace from the wall. The fireplace is surrounded by molding. I can't see any nails or screws holding it on. Is the molding glued on or is it nailed? Before I attemp to pry it off, I need to know if I can pry it loose (without cracking the molding or ripping up the wall). Once I get the molding off, it looks like there are only four screws holding the fireplace to the RV. Has anyone else tried to remove their fireplace from a 2011 Big Horn in order to work on it?

Jerry Orndorff
2011 Big Horn 3670
I'm not really sure how you cleaned the vents without taking the fireplace out. That is to get it completely cleaned. I see where Rickt blew it out with compressor and can see how that worked. But these things acquire so much dust inside that the unit has to be taken out to get the job properly done. On my unit I simply pried the wood trim off with a still putty knife and took the 4 screw out to take it out after unplugging the unit. My heating element has been replaced twice now, they are not very dependable.

Gaffer

The molding on my Dimplex was stapled on. It came off easily but be careful, it is foam not wood. Then just 4 screws and unplug it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I used a casing pry bar to remove the facia on my 2011 BH. Along with a chunk of cardboard.
As mentioned, the trim is not wood.
Don't forget to wash the glass when you have it apart.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• DSC01512.jpg rs.jpg
    DSC01512.jpg rs.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 106

wdk450

I wonder if we could rig a fine metal screen "filter" in the inlet airflow path that could be cleaned? Something like a dryer lint filter.

Bobby A

Well, my Dimplex has finally started to act up after close to 5 years of full time in our RV, so its gotten a lot of use in our 2010 Bighorn. I'm sure someone can share with me the dimentions of these fireplaces so I can get a replacement ?? Any suggestions on where to shop for one ?? Thank you,

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The Dimplex we purchased was the DF2608. It fit perfectly in our cabinet after removing the doors. It is self-trimming, so no mantle is needed.
any6y6aq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk