REPLACED: Commode leaking

I have a dometic commode and its leaking half way up where the top section meets middle section. It appears its a two piece toilet. Can these be tightened. I have attached pic if it helps. uploadfromtaptalk1383963138421.jpg
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Re: Commode leaking help

Here is a link to the Dometic Toilet manuals in the "Tools" area of the forum. CLICK HERE
At the top of the Forum there are several tabs, Browse through the tools for everything you could imagine in the way helpful information.

Garypowell

In general tightening the hose clamp might help but sometimes it does not and the leak gets worse. It might be best to buy a replacement rubber seal then take it apart, clean everything and put the new seal in.

It it is fairly easy fix if you can be on your knees for a while.

But remember my first comment.....tighter is not always better!

Ray LeTourneau

In general tightening the hose clamp might help but sometimes it does not and the leak gets worse. It might be best to buy a replacement rubber seal then take it apart, clean everything and put the new seal in.

It it is fairly easy fix if you can be on your knees for a while.

But remember my first comment.....tighter is not always better!
Gary, is there a clamp on the 310? I browsed the owners manual and didn't see where the upper and lower sections come apart. I've had our 210 apart and there is a clamp but not sure about the 310.

Garypowell

Ray, every toilet I have had used a large hose clamp in the middle. So I jumped to that conclusion. My apologies to the OP for that mistake......thanks for catching it!

This problem is not from clamp. Its leaking from the middle of toilet where top cermaic section meets bottom. Middle of picture

Ray LeTourneau

Make sure it's not coming from the vacuum breaker at the upper rear of the toilet. Water could migrate to cause you to think otherwise.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Vacuum breaker is dry it around crease. If I run my hand around the crease or a towel. Water comes out heavy. Apparently this section is factory sealed and I guess this is problem. I know Dometic has a 2year and a 10year warranty. Its a 2011 fifth wheel bought in 2012.

To clarify. Vacuum breaker is dry. Crease in picture is only place its coming from.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders

Vacuum breaker is dry it around crease. If I run my hand around the crease or a towel. Water comes out heavy. Apparently this section is factory sealed and I guess this is problem. I know Dometic has a 2year and a 10year warranty. Its a 2011 fifth wheel bought in 2012.

From the Dometic 310 Manual: "Factory-sealed bowl-to-base assembly – Unlike other Dometic footpedal toilets, the bowl and base of
310 and 320 series toilets should
not be separated for any reason"

This is from page 2 of the manual: http://www.dometic.com/ca179a93-1151-40c1-9a82-15731f3ee1ba.fodoc

You may want to check and make sure that the seal between the bowl and vacuum breaker is not leaking and running down the back of the bowl to the joint.

I have tried and its completly dry, unless its inside the bowl where I can't see. Its definitely frustrating. I don't really want to buy a new one.

Ray LeTourneau

Have you called Dometic? They may help. Can't hurt to try.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yea going to tomorrow. They were closed sunday and today.

Update. I called Dometic and they overnighted me a new 310 toilet.
Awesome customer service

donr827

Since you will be putting in a new toilet it will be a good time to put in a in line water shut off valve for the toilet.
Don

Yep did this a while back when I was having a different leak with it. Defiantly nice to be able to shut off water directly to toilet and not entire fiftb wheel.

wdk450

Since you will be putting in a new toilet it will be a good time to put in a in line water shut off valve for the toilet.
Don

I just did this. Home Depot stocks the 1/2 inch PEX shutoff valve by SharkBite (which requires no crimping) for about $12. I got it for easier toilet cleaning.