Upgraded running gear

stsmark

Just saw your creating another "big twin" as I call them, 35' + unit on 2 axles. Why cant the Cyclones have an 8K / shocks and Goodyear G614 running gear package option like Landmark and Bighorn? I feel that counting on pin weight to make the numbers work concept lends cheapness to an otherwise fine product.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
According to a HL rep....you can get G614s on a CY and probably upgrade the axles. Call HL and ask. Never take salesmans word for anything....most of the time they dont have a clue.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Goodyear G614's are available to add to the unit. However we do not do shocks or 8,000 lbs axles.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I feel that counting on pin weight to make the numbers work concept lends cheapness to an otherwise fine product.
I'm kinda thinking you have to count pin weight. After all, there will be in the neighborhood of 2,500 to 3,000 pounds there.

Peace
Dave

CrazyCooter

I'm a big fan of building things with reserve in mind. I also understand that it would limit the number of buyers by possibly making the unit too heavy for the 2500 owner and cost more than brand "Y". Either way it's a lost sale and a loss in profits.

We love the Cyclone now that the bugs have been worked out, but next time I'm going to be looking someplace other than the cookie cutter offerings coming out of Indiana cause these units aren't built to be used as much as we use ours and last. I just hope I'm in a position to pay the price when it comes time:eek:

stsmark

Tony,
Your work is what got me thinking about this. How many folks have complained about braking power with the big units? How about trim falling off due to ride quality?
35 years in aviation I totally understand Wt & Balance scenarios, it just strikes me funny that a premium product like a Cyclone gets avg running gear when the other premium products which probably spend most of the time at a lower percentage of gross wt and more in balance have better components available.

CrazyCooter

Tony,
Your work is what got me thinking about this. How many folks have complained about braking power with the big units? How about trim falling off due to ride quality?
35 years in aviation I totally understand Wt & Balance scenarios, it just strikes me funny that a premium product like a Cyclone gets avg running gear when the other premium products which probably spend most of the time at a lower percentage of gross wt and more in balance have better components available.

If the correct brake and wire size is installed from the the time of manufacture, I think the stopping issue would be resolved. Even send out the 6K axles with 7K brakes because the difference is pretty big between the two. I agree that they went as far as the EZ-Flex, but stopped half way by not installing the shocks.

The CY3110 still sticks out in my mind...... I really like the layout, BUT.......If a consumer added every option on the list, would there even be enough payload left after water and fuel to put something in the garage? I also see the specs either left out or changing monthly on the website....why is this? I feel like printing those specs out every time I visit in case they are needed for some reason someday......

I still feel Heartland builds the best unit in this price category, but with a few tweaks and not much $$$ it could be much better.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We just placed our order yesterday for a new Cyclone 4000. We ordered it with 7000# axles and Goodyear G614 tires.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

gpshemi

I'm a big fan of building things with reserve in mind.

As an engineer speaking, keep in mind there's an engineered safty factor in nearly everything. Just because axles are rated at 7000lbs doesn't mean they fail at 7001lbs. There is a reserve.

Noelle

Howdy!

We just placed our order yesterday for a new Cyclone 4000. We ordered it with 7000# axles and Goodyear G614 tires.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

What was the MSRP cost of those two upgrades. Tires are listed on the sheet but no price and the 7000# axles are not even listed.

What other UNLISTED options would you recommend?

On a triple trailer the 7000 pound axle upgrade is just over $200.00. The goodyear tires are a little over 2,000. I think you can buy the tires at a local tire store for that and save the stock tires to put back on when you sell the rig or get a trade from the tire dealer.
My 3800 is to be built in 10 days. I was told the 7000 pound axles do not increase the gross vehicle weight of the trailer. If so what is he advantage of getting them? I am getting the stock tires and if we see a problem will upgrade at a local tire store.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Upgraded axles give you more safety room . Upgraded axles also includes bigger brakes and heavier springs. Stock axles are fine if you will never load the trailer up to or over the GVWR, not that you would intentionally overload. But with a dynamic load going down rough roads, I'd rather have more than enough margin for safety than "adequate".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taken

On a triple trailer the 7000 pound axle upgrade is just over $200.00. The goodyear tires are a little over 2,000. I think you can buy the tires at a local tire store for that and save the stock tires to put back on when you sell the rig or get a trade from the tire dealer.
My 3800 is to be built in 10 days. I was told the 7000 pound axles do not increase the gross vehicle weight of the trailer. If so what is he advantage of getting them? I am getting the stock tires and if we see a problem will upgrade at a local tire store.

Unfortunately, waiting to upgrade when see a problem with stock tires will significantly raise the likelihood that your RV will be damaged during the failure. Do a search and don't wait.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Unfortunately, waiting to upgrade when see a problem with stock tires will significantly raise the likelihood that your RV will be damaged during the failure. Do a search and don't wait.

The potential advantages to wait on tires until your get your RV is that you would know how the tires have been treated and how many miles are on the new (after delivery) tires. Unless your picking up from the factory there can be many variables that could damage the tires before you even get it delivered to you. Rough roads, road debris, potholes, excessive (over 65) speeds by delivery drivers, low tire pressure. Lack of dealer maintenance could also be an issue for an RV bought off the lot. Some of the damage would be able to be spotted such as cuts in the sidewall but internal damage may not show up until long after the damage occurred. Nor would number of miles and the speed or temperature of the tires ever be known.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The upgrade to G rated Goodyears at just a little over $2000 is actually a good price/value. New G614's will run you about $325 each (they are usually cheaper when ordered from someone like Simpletire.com). Then you have to get them balanced and mounted. If you include the time and hassle involved in making the changeover, I consider the upgrade price a good value for the money.

scottyb

If you include the time and hassle involved in making the changeover, I consider the upgrade price a good value for the money.

I don't completely agree. It took less than an hour for Discount Tire to mount, balance, and install mine on a Sat AM, with an appointment. At one point they had 6 guys working on it, because I was blocking a couple bays (per their instructions). I have warranty certificates and free rotating and balancing for the life of the tires, for about the same price as the upgrade. My 1st trip out was on brand new tires, which have always been under my control. I will be taking it in for the 3rd rotation before my next outing.

porthole

Retired

AT $200 I wouldn't hesitate at getting the 7K over the 6K.

At $2000 for six GY 614's a key point is what wheels are currently equipped from the factory?

If they are the standard wheels used in years past, you cannot mount GY G614's, or any 110 PSI tire. Previous rims were rated for only 80PSI.

In that case, the $2000 for the factory upgrade will be significantly less then the aftermarket price of tires AND wheels.

If you can't physically check the wheels, a "non-scientific" method is to count the spokes. 5 spokes are 80 psi, 8 spokes are 110 psi (typically).