Smart Light

olcoon

Last year at the National Rally in Gillette, WY, I purchased a Smart Light 1000 motion detector light & installed it after we left. It works well, & we are satisfied with it. Today, continuing my project of stripping the old caulk & re-caulking the 5er, I was stripping the caulk from around the light & my hand slipped & I hit the lens of one of the sensors. To my surprise, it disintegrated! Apparently the plastic it's made of had deteriorated & crystalized, I guess from UV. I looked at the other one & it was in the same condition. I called the company, Star Lights, & explained the situation, and they, without hesitation, asked my name & address & said they'd send me replacements. We really like the light & like it even more now!

Just thought I'd post this so anyone who has one of these can check their light to see if they have the same problem.

IMG_0447.jpgIMG_0448.jpg

Greengas

That Smart Light sounds great but it is hard to tell from the picture where you have it installed. Could you post another picture that shows where it is?

olcoon

We have an Elk Ridge, I just removed the original porch light, & replaced it with the Smart Light. An easy chore, but the holes didn't exactly match with the ones from the old light.

Ray, from what they told (and from looking at the light), at least the main lens will have to be removed & possibly the whole light. They are supposed to be including instructions with the new ones. Also sounded like there would be more screws to remove once the light is off the rig.

Theresau

We replaced the porch light with a black Smart Light - really like it - looks good too!!! We'll have to watch for any issues. The holes didn't line up as well but the old ones were hidden as the Smart Light is larger.

We have an Elk Ridge, I just removed the original porch light, & replaced it with the Smart Light. An easy chore, but the holes didn't exactly match with the ones from the old light.

Ray, from what they told (and from looking at the light), at least the main lens will have to be removed & possibly the whole light. They are supposed to be including instructions with the new ones. Also sounded like there would be more screws to remove once the light is off the rig.

jasons09cyclone

The guys and gals at Starlights are very helpful.. A few years ago I replaced the porch light over the front door and added another porch light over the rear door . It's been at lest 3 years now and haven't had any problems yet..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tomharg

I have the same problem in my 20 month-old Bighorn. Thanks to your post, I'll be calling StarLights on Monday!
Thanks!
Tom

GOTTOYS

Are you talking about those little white lenses on each side of the light? If so mine are broken also. How do you replace them?...Don

olcoon

I'm still waiting for the lens! I received a letter from them back in Nov., and at first I thought it was a letter letting me know that the shipment was enroute, however upon looking closer, there were 2 flat pieces of a "plastic" material taped to the letter. I didn't/couldn't call them right away because I had a more important, prior commitment…deer season. When I got home, I forgot about it, & finally called them a week or 2 ago, after several attempts. I finally got ahold of them & they said they are in the process of moving, is why I had a had a hard time getting ahold of them. I explained my situation & they said they'd get the correct ones to me. I'm still waiting, thinking about giving them another call to see if they've been sent.

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
We experienced the same breakdown of the Fresnel lenses over the motion detectors. It's an easy replacement; the flat lens wraps around the housing. Same good service from the folks at Smart Light.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here's a pic of the lens on the new Smartlight we are installing.
a6umema6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

Guess I should have made things a little clearer. I can't use the lens they sent me, as the ones in the light are different. See photos in post # 1, they are kind of a bubble shape, and I don't think they'll work. The person I talked to on the phone seemed to know what I was talking about. We'll see.