ToyLok won't retract

tbearman

It was mounted at the factory under the rear right of the garage behind the spare. Cable extends all right, but won't retract. If I take it apart, is there anything I need to watch for (like flying springs)? It's just past the factory warranty, and I do have an extended Star warranty, but it'd be a lot less hassle all round if I can just fix it myself.

Thanks for any insights.

kkamshop

I took the one made by Reese apart. When I split it apart one side had all the working parts and the other side was just a cover.Does the cable feel like it still has tension on it? Its rather basic once you get it apart.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It may not be worth the hassle, especially if you claim it on your extended warranty.
They can be purchased new from Walmart for just under $40. LOOK HERE.
And there may be only two screws holding it on.

Peace
Dave

kkamshop

If the cable still has tension and retracts partway try cleaning the cable and applying a coating of armorall to the plastic cable coating

aatauses

This may be an afterthought and maybe you have tried this. When we pull ours out you will hear a clicking sound then silent then a clicking sound again. Ours will only retract when we hear the clicking sound, just give it a quick jerk during the clicking and it will retract. If you try it when it is pulling out, but silent ours will not retract.
al
currently in Surprise, AZ

I had ordered 2 of them from the factory when I ordered my Big Country.
They both went bad the first year, pulled them out and would not retract.
Heartland replaced them both and one of the replacements went bad the first time I pulled it out, would not retract.
I took the second one off my rig.
I would not recommend these things to anyone.
Great idea, but very poor quality product.
Buy a good bike cable lock instead.

Hockster

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
When I ordered my BH, I paid for a "ToyLok" brand cable lock (suggested list was around $100+ dollars.) The rig arrived without it and I pointed this out to the dealer and they said they would correct it. After a week they installed the lock.
I didn't find out until 2 years later (I hadn't crawled under to look at it), that the dealer pulled a fast one on me and installed a Reese brand cable lock which can be purchased at Walmart for $40. I didn't see the difference in quality until I picked up an actual ToyLok Brand in my friends garage and it weighed about three times as much as the Reese.
I had a similar problem with the Reese cable lock freezing up. First the bolts holding it to the frame were squeezing the weak plastic case and causing it to bind. I loosened them a bit which helped. While the cable was pulled out, I was able to spray some WD40 into the opening and worked the cable back and forth a bit. It now seems to be functioning normally.
Trace