My stupid trick for the year.

EandJ

Leaving Huntsville State Park yesterday, pulling into the dump station. The guy ahead of us comes running out (he was in our larger group) and said it was going to take him a while there - but if we pulled around to the other side, that direction was open.

This caught us a bit off guard as we were already starting to turn in. But we then backed up just enough to cut the wheels on my truck and pull forward back to the road. Went around the "block" and pulled in the other side. As we were dumping the tanks - my wife went around back and said "What happened!" Instant terrible feeling in your gut.......................

Apparently, when I backed up, I caught a gate that was open (parallel to the road). Missed it backing up, but when I pulled forward, the gate which consisted of basically a 4" steel tube just caught the edge of our trailer. The scrape on the side panel looks purely cosmetic - just needs a new decal. But the back - I'm pretty sure the entire panel is shot because of the crack a couple feet from the side. I am fixin to call my insurance agent, because I know the repairs will definately be more than my $500 deductible.

Anybody else done this? What was involved in the repairs? Does the trailer look right after the repairs? I know better than to back up without a spotter, but we were already thinking about when we got home, etc. and weren't paying attention. I mean - I only had to back up a few feet - right? And then you ruin your whole weekend. DOH!

Attachments

• IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 541
  • IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 456

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Leaving Huntsville State Park yesterday, pulling into the dump station. The guy ahead of us comes running out (he was in our larger group) and said it was going to take him a while there - but if we pulled around to the other side, that direction was open.

This caught us a bit off guard as we were already starting to turn in. But we then backed up just enough to cut the wheels on my truck and pull forward back to the road. Went around the "block" and pulled in the other side. As we were dumping the tanks - my wife went around back and said "What happened!" Instant terrible feeling in your gut.......................

Apparently, when I backed up, I caught a gate that was open (parallel to the road). Missed it backing up, but when I pulled forward, the gate which consisted of basically a 4" steel tube just caught the edge of our trailer. The scrape on the side panel looks purely cosmetic - just needs a new decal. But the back - I'm pretty sure the entire panel is shot because of the crack a couple feet from the side. I am fixin to call my insurance agent, because I know the repairs will definately be more than my $500 deductible.

Anybody else done this? What was involved in the repairs? Does the trailer look right after the repairs? I know better than to back up without a spotter, but we were already thinking about when we got home, etc. and weren't paying attention. I mean - I only had to back up a few feet - right? And then you ruin your whole weekend. DOH!

I see that you are from Texas. Don't know where you are now but there are a number of reliable Heartland RV Dealers in Texas that could handle that type of repair. I would recommend Baileys RV in Lufkin and RV Station in Cleveland Texas. There is also Explore RV in Canton and then you have Camping World in Katy and New Braunfels. Baileys did some body work on our previous Landmark and did a great job in a timely manner. I have never had work done at the others I mentioned but know they are Heartland Dealers. Good Luck and sorry for your Bo Bo

EandJ

We are in the Houston area. I am hoping to take it to Ron Hoover on the Katy Freeway. They are only about 25 miles from us. I know they are not a NorthTrail dealer, but they do carry Road Warrior and I think Big Horn and Elkridge. I've had warranty work done there and was pleased with the result, so I hope they will take us in.

whp4262

I had a lesson learned this last weekend as well. Found out that it's a really bad idea to retract the awning while the cargo door is open on my Cyclone. It twisted the door and awning out of shape and looked much worse than it was. Luckily once I got every thing realigned it doesn't appear to have caused any damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Eddie, I highly recommend the store that you've chosen. Joe French, the GM, has done a great job for another HL owner that I know. His shop is top notch.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ron Hoover on the Katy Frwy is where we bought our new Landmark. Say hello to Joe French for us.

HornedToad

EandJ,

A lot of my guest and fellow campers think I am downright rude when I refuse their advise or assistance.

I have a routine I follow when I load/hitch/walkaround/stop/backup/unload/dump/store, ect...
and almost anytime someone helps it causes problems.

I've tried that... it doesn't work... I don't do it any more.

Paul & Nan

I see that you are from Texas. Don't know where you are now but there are a number of reliable Heartland RV Dealers in Texas that could handle that type of repair. I would recommend Baileys RV in Lufkin and RV Station in Cleveland Texas. There is also Explore RV in Canton and then you have Camping World in Katy and New Braunfels. Baileys did some body work on our previous Landmark and did a great job in a timely manner. I have never had work done at the others I mentioned but know they are Heartland Dealers. Good Luck and sorry for your Bo Bo

We can also highly recommend Baileys RV in Lufkin. They are our closest Heartland dealer and are very honest and perform the work in a good and timely manner. Great folks there.

DonnyB007

If that was my trailer, I would definitely be fixing that damage myself. But hey, that's me and I have the right tools and I suppose know how IF I WERE AT HOME. It's always a different story when you are on the road and so many factors come into play. I'll bet if a dealer did repairs through insurance on that one, they would charge about 3000.00 plus and your insurance rates would go up accordingly. My insurance company has a rule, three claims and you are out. Anyway, best of luck with that.

whp4262

I'm glad my insurance company doesn't have a three strike policy. If they did my daughter would be walking to work.

EandJ

Well, dropped trailer off this morning on way to work at Ron Hoover. Adjuster is supposed to get there today or tomorrow. I used Ron Hoover for warranty work about 6 months ago and they fixed in 3 days what my selling dealer was unable to fix after having my trailer for six weeks. Hopefully get the same quality work this time on the repairs.

I told my wife I had some drywall screws and duct tape and could fix it in about 15 minutes. She didn't go for that idea - have no idea why. :confused:

Actually, I've repaired a few things on this one and a lot on our previous trailer - but they were not bodywork items. I know my limitations and if I want the fiberglass to look good - I'd better let somebody else do that. Plus I don't have the time now when I don't get off work till after dark.

EandJ

Well, we got our trailer back two weeks ago. They ended up replacing our whole back panel, plus assorted trim pieces and decals. Took them about 4 weeks - but a big part of that was waiting on the rear panel to arrive.

Ron Hoover did a great job - Derrick was our Service guy and the whole experience was about as painless as denting your trailer can be. Can't even tell that anything is different.

IMG_1291.JPGIMG_1290.JPGIMG_1289.JPG

I got my renewal on insurance and premium actually went down $15. :confused: Of course our homeowners insurance (same company) also renewed this month and it went up $300 a year.

Lesson learned - even if you are backing up 4-5 feet, ALWAYS have a spotter. We got lazy one time and I guarantee - it will never happen again.

priorguy

They should have replaced your yellowing outside shower at the sand time. I did it on my SOB for $35 and an hour of my time. New caulking and removing the old was the bigger job. Looked much better after.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looks like new again! You could also mask off the shower door and paint it. Or try cleaning with a Magic Eraser cleaning sponge, we've had good luck with them.

EandJ

Yeah - it does kind of stand out now that the rear is all nice and shiny otherwise. I'll try the Magic Eraser first - had good luck with those on a lot of other spots.

Hoosier Wolverine

I've successfully used the spray paint made especially for plastic to refresh all the yellowing plastics on my BH. I think it might be a rust oleum product,designed to bond with most plastics. I painted the molding around the entry-door window, the stove vent, outdoor shower, outdoor electrical receptical, battery vent and water-heater cover. For some reason these plastics seem to yellow as soon as they are produced. I reprinted mine a couple years ago and they remain white. Looking around in campgrounds this yellowing seems to be a universal problem.

priorguy

At the time I changed mine I had also pulled the hose to hard and snapped the fitting off. It was cheaper to buy the entire box then the fitting. Looked much nicer too.