Computers

muskeke

Northern Dancer
Hi,

I would really like to hear about any advise or experience others have had with operating a lap top computer while RVing.

I have had some good advise from different people, but would like to hear from others before I go out and invest in another computer setup.

The work I do requires me to stay in touch with the regional and national offices as much as possible, in case of emergencies. Having a lap top in the RV would cover this.

So let's hear your experiences, best lap top, service provider, saving money, etc.

Sharron

BigBlue

BigBlue
Sharron
I am using a Toshiba Qosmio laptop with an aircard for connection to Cingular unlimited Data Service. So far we've only been in two locations that we haven't been able to connect to the internet (Mitchell, SD and Silver Bay, MN). When we have connection it's a little faster than 56 K service on a land line so I'm satisfiec with itl. I'm sure out west we'll run into more locations we can't get service but that's to be expected.
In the truck I have an old HP laptop I use with a Garmin 60CS for mapping. I use Microsoft Streets & trips. So far it works out great.
If you have specific questions, I'd be glad to answer them if I can.
Jim

phranc

We use a HP and connect with either Wi-Fi when available or Mobil offic connection software .This uses the cell phone as a modem and is slower than molasses. The phone deal is better than nothing but not much. Once in a while Verizon will be able to connect at their 'national express ' speed .this is much faster but you need to be in a pure digital area .. If you need fast reliable connection many have had sucess with satellite ie: Datastorm..
The down side is it's pricey..
Good luck