New Auxiliary Fuel Tank idea

Sumo

Re: New Auxiliary FuelTank idea

Nice looking tank. I have never used the trucks spare tire, But as soon as I replace my spare with a fuel tank I'll need the tire. LOL

Just my crazy luck.

jimtoo

I think there was one that came out about 10-12 years ago also... don't think it went over too good due to cost and what do you do with your spare? Still taking up bed space and and a spare tire is easier to steal than a fuel tank in the bed.

Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Nice looking tank. I have never used the trucks spare tire, But as soon as I replace my spare with a fuel tank I'll need the tire. LOL

Just my crazy luck.

I'm with 'ya on that one!

I've never once used the spare on my truck (1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4 x 4).

Matter of fact, I've never once once had a flat on this truck in the 160,000+ miles since day one!

The jack and tire iron are still under the back seat just as they were from the Dodge factory . . . I've never ever even touched them!

It (the spare, not the truck) still looks brand new new with all the little rubber nubs all over it and full of air.

It's almost time for another new set of four, though!

TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Interesting concept, but I've used my spare tire twice. Since I use my truck for more than just pulling the trailer, it would be a real nuisance to have it lying in the bed. And with the TransferFlow tank I replaced the OEM tank with, I've got 56 gallons of fuel.

porthole

Retired

Nice that it is available for those that could use it.

3 flats so far on this truck, and the first one flat when I picked it up at the dealer. So I won't be losing my spare.

$1600+ for the tank. I see that going mostly to the truck forum guys that buy these big diesel trucks then totally outfit them to be useless for work.

Still planning on a 45 gallon in the bed tank that "should" fit under my tool box, $450 for that and with the difference I should be able to buy about 300 gallons of diesel.

Reminds me of my first new vehicle. Working a Dodge dealership I bought a 1978 Dodge Powerwagon. The Dodge Ramcharger had the same frame as the 150 PU. The Ram also had a 36 gallon tank that mounted behind the axle in the spare tire well.

Didn't take long before I got all the pieces I needed to add that 36 gallon tank to my truck. Gave me about 60 gallons of gas. Even the filler neck was bolt in. Used solenoids and relays to switch tanks - gauge. I also installed a Holley electric fuel pump under the hood to allow me to "pump" the fuel if needed.

That pump turned out to be a really good idea during 79 oil crisis. My local station allowed me to park my truck at the pump overnight and be first in line. This in turn allowed to have some gasoline available for my family if needed, specifically letting my Dad get to work.