5500 Onan Generator Install In Torque TQ321

kwt

I purchased a Torque TQ321 recently that has the "Generator Prep Pkg". I have (2) questions that I am unsure and want to see if anyone has done a similar install

1. What is the proper way to get the unit in the trailer in the first place? The opening is 20" and the generator unit is 16", does not give you any room to maneuver into position

2. The junction box furnished by Heartland has black wire/pink wire/white wire/ground. The generator has black/black and tan/(2)white/green. I suspect you would hook the black to black/ black-tan to pink/(2) whites to white/green to ground, but that will give you 240 on the neutral is this correct?

Any assistance would be apprteciated

HornedToad

1. Take the sheet metal screws out of the bottom of the left side of the generator box and pull it aside. Place the generator on the tailgate of a truck and use a small 2X3 sheet of plywood to slide it in place w/o damaging the lip of the door opening. 2. The generator has two circuits a 20AMP and 30AMP both 120V, if I remember the 30AMP is the solid black and the 20AMP is the black w/ stripe. Your assumptions on the wiring are correct except two neutral wires do not give you 240V. I used the breakers on the generator to check the 20 / 30 AMP circuits were hooked up correctly, the AC is on the 20AMP and the 30AMP runs the house. PM if you want me to send pics or have any questions.

kwt

thanks for your reply. we will be giving it a go over the weekend. the gen came fm Houston as a matter of fact everything is bigger and better in Texas

HornedToad

Good luck this weekend... it will be easier than it looks. One thing you may want to consider is lining the box with an automotive type soundproofer like Dynamat ( I used the cheaper asphalt based brand ) You will know it makes a difference when you wack the box with your knuckles.... before and after!!! I felt like I was on Bourbon Street last night at the Harry Connick Jr concert in Midland.