Highpointe Microwave/Convection Oven Model EC942KIW

Quilter

Full Memeber
I am not very happy with this Micro/Conv oven. I tried baking biscuits in the convection oven following the instructions and temp provided by the manual. They took forever to bake and never got brown. I then checked the temperature and even though I chose 425 degrees the oven only was at 325 degrees after it was preheated. 100 degrees too cool is not acceptable. Has any one else had this problem? Is it worth trying to get the unit replaced? Also, does anyone have a contact number or email address for the company?

Betsy Hubbell:mad:
2014 Heartland Big Horn 3610 bought in August 2013 at Camping World
Almost Fulltimer

This is my first post like this so if I haven't given enough information, please let me know.

Garypowell

Betsy,

we never used the oven in any of our rigs and decided to remove it for weight and storage reasons and replace it with an Induction cooktop. But prior to doing that we decided to have a bake off between it and our Frigidare micro/convection oven.

Baking cookies seemed the the right way to do it but bith batches turned out terrible so I purchased oven thermometer and found both 50 degrees colder than displayed. We called (Frigidare) and were told service was possible for the convection but decided after simply adding 50 deg to our cook temp all was well.

So we just left it as is and when we bake add 50 deg. The oven did come out and this is our first trip with the Induction cooktop and we love it!

OK now to answer your question....I think 100 deg is too much. If we had been that far off I think we would have had service come out. I hope you are still under warranty. If not I would invest the service money in a new unit that you like and see how it does and get back under warranty.

Quilter

Full Memeber
I am not very happy with this Micro/Conv oven. I tried baking biscuits in the convection oven following the instructions and temp provided by the manual. They took forever to bake and never got brown. I then checked the temperature and even though I chose 425 degrees the oven only was at 325 degrees after it was preheated. 100 degrees too cool is not acceptable. Has any one else had this problem? Is it worth trying to get the unit replaced? Also, does anyone have a contact number or email address for the company?

• I persevered long enough and just had a new High Pointe Micro/Conv oven installed. The tech tested it and said according to his probe that it heated to the correct temp (I had him test it at 425). I preheated it to 425 with an oven thermometer on the wire rack required for the convection oven and it didn't even register 375. I think they should be required to test the oven with a home oven thermometer not their probe. Also, have a friend who also has a High Pointe ( she has another brand of 5th wheel) which is a 2013 and she is having the same problems with the oven not reaching the correct temp. Also, on another forum there are nothing but complaints. I didn't read any posts that actually liked this brand. I tried to get Heartland to let me have a different brand of oven but was told they couldn't guarantee it would fit the hole for the oven and since I had fought a long battle to get a replacement, I took the High Pointe. Hope I am not really disappointed.
  • I think High Pointe must have given all the RV manufacturers in Indiana a really good deal and they went for the lowest price instead of quality. Unfortunately, I don't see any answer to this problem.

Betsy Hubbell:mad:
2014 Heartland Big Horn 3610 bought in August 2013 at Camping World
Almost Fulltimer

Last edited by a moderator:

Westwind

It's like get something that fits the hole - doesn't need to work competently just light up! We buy the product and it becomes our problem.

pegmikef

Yep, after reading this I went out and tested mine and at 425 degrees, the highest my thermometer showed was around 385. We can live with that because we don't use it that much and if we need hotter we'll use the gas oven. Knowing that there is a difference though is a big help since now we know we have to compensate for it and make more use of the thermometer.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
A thought - did you have the vent flap open on the outside of the coach? Some micro/convection oven has a safely factor that if it isn't vented for the hot air to get out, the thermostat will shut off for safety reasons.

A lot of other folks have replaced their units with a GE profile unit which is the same width. In our Big Country we had a standard Frigidare unit.

bdb2047

The wife was having same problem with micro/conv. I found the flap on vent was not opening all the way. Was not enough clearance for cut out thru wall. Adjusted flapper and cleared some edges so flap would open. It solved our problem.

Quilter

Full Memeber
Does the vent open automatically when the convection oven is being used or do you have to open it manually. I think we found the vent but can't figure out how to open it.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
No - the vent does not open automatically when the microwave/convection oven is in use. You have to go to the off side (side opposite the door) and release the flap latch. I have a long wand that I use to unlock the flap. Before you travel again, you must remember to lock the latch back down again so the vent cover will not be blown off as you travel down the road.