Custom Aluminum roof access ladder

Phatkd

As some of you may know, my factory Attwood ladder busted on me while I was climbing up to sweep off the slide out tops.

Wondering if any of you out there have seen anyone (or perhaps have one of your own) with a custom fabricated welded aluminum ladder for their RV?

I am strongly considering having a local aluminum fab shop whip one up for my BH...

Thoughts?

GOTTOYS

I'd be curious to see how they build it and what it would co$t. I can't imagine it will be cheap but it would have to better than what's there now...Don

gebills

As a matter of fact Phatkd, my last trip up the ladder last week down in Red Bluff CA resulted in one busted rung while I was headed up to sweep the slid toppers before rolling them in for the winter. Regarding the idea of having a custom-build ladder welded up, that sounds like a good idea, in so much as the OE parts simply aren't designed to actually use as a climbing ladder. They do look nice hanging out there on the stern, but after a couple trips up and down, it quickly becomes apparent that the ladder is for looks, not for practical use. It seems that if I were going to the extent of having one built, I would probably have it constructed of round stainless tubing, maybe up to even 40-ga pipe, rather than aluminum. My thought process here is that the stainless assembly might be easier to polish, and to resist corroding easier than aluminum. I suppose that if there is not so much wet environment exposure to the aluminum, it could remain looking okay once polished. In designing a new custom built ladder, it seems that there should be a little more consideration given as to how the weight is supported from the top. The OE ladder design springs so much due to the poor design/material choice, that it simply can't support much more than my 10-year old grand-daughter. Since keeping a 5'er clean around the upper edges, all the way around the RV, it nearly demands that you carry a ladder to reach the top edges, meaning, you just about have to carry a 14+ foot ladder anyway. If it weren't for needing to climb up all the way around the RV, I would consider a custom built ladder also. Since it seems like I end up standing on the top platform of my 5-foot stepladder, maybe I would be smarter saving up for a Little Giant Super Ladder like many others claim to carry. I think your idea is reasonable, and no question about it; much safer. gebills.

MTPockets

I believe a better ladder is necessary as well. The reply I got from Atwood was that not enough people complained so the thousands of ladders they built are adequate. Well, how arrogant of them. Heartland service said there was nothing they could do unless there was actual breakage during warranty. I had problems from the start with breaking end caps and they are on-going, but I for one will not be silent on this until they - Atwood or Heartland - get it fixed. In the meantime, I did add two sets of stand offs, one size larger mounting screws. If I had one built I would consider stainless steel.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I carry one of those in my basement. Good for accessing the sides while cleaning but too short for getting on the roof safely. The OEM ladder hasn't given me any problems.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The OEM ladder hasn't given me any problems.
John, that's because you're of somewhat normal weight. Us larger :eek: folks won't even think about using the OEM ladder. I have a 6ft step that unfolds and extends to 11 ft and I can access the roof by going up the rear of the main slide.

Phatkd

Thanks for the feedback guys! Stainless vs. Aluminum might be getting into the $1000's in difference in price. I will call around and perhaps take the 5ver to a couple of local shop and see what they can come up with in terms of design and price.

Maybe they can even build me a bumper for the rig as well to sweeten up the deal for them.

Cheers!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yeah, there is that minor technicality. Some of the kids in the FD look shocked when they ask age.