MY Weber "Q" Vapor locked/froze up!!!

wingfoot

This is a first..The other night I was getting ready to do a little grilling on my gas Weber grill...hooked up my small portable tank, lit the grill up...everything seemed to be working fine..After about a ten-minute heat up, the grill went out. The grill regulator was very cold and damp. I relighted only to have a very small amount of flame and finally went out. I changed to a disposable cartridge..and after a while everything seemed to be "OK"...
Here are my concerns. I had just had the portable tank filled (first use after refill). Did I get water in tank when refilled? Is it possible to have a "vapor lock"? The scary thing is, I had one of my 5r tanks filled by the same people. If I got contaminated propane in my tanks, this could be a real problem.
For additional info: Ambient temperature was 60*, humidity 85...

Thanks for any info,
Larry

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about vapor lock, but it is important to open the valve on your tank slowly.
I had a similar problem years ago. I was told by the LP guy to open the valve slowly.
I now do that and have had no more trouble.

Peace
Dave

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Larry,
With regard to the cold and wet feel, I had a propane campfire running on high for several hours. The temp and humidity were similar to what you described.
When I shut it off, the bottom half of the 20# canister was completely wet, frosted over and frozen to the ground. It surprised me because it really wasn't that cold outside at the time.

I also agree with Dave, the new fangled tank valves will shut down if they are turned on and flow too quickly. I think they are sensing that there may be a leak IMHO. Trace

Last edited:

Randy

Founding Georgia Chapter Leader (Ret)
Larry, just for your information the tank is not the problem. Your grill burns the propane as a vapor. The tank is full of a liquid. As the propane is used the liquid
boils off as a vapor and the liquid can get well below the freezing point. As it drops in temperature the pressure in the tank also drops. Warming the tank with hot water
would have increased the pressure and you could keep on grilling. Propane has the same properties as most freons.
Randy, Santha and the Poodles

wingfoot

Thanks...I'll try what you guys suggested...
It has never happened to me before, but there is always the first time...

DonnyB007

This is a first..The other night I was getting ready to do a little grilling on my gas Weber grill...hooked up my small portable tank, lit the grill up...everything seemed to be working fine..After about a ten-minute heat up, the grill went out. The grill regulator was very cold and damp. I relighted only to have a very small amount of flame and finally went out. I changed to a disposable cartridge..and after a while everything seemed to be "OK"...
Here are my concerns. I had just had the portable tank filled (first use after refill). Did I get water in tank when refilled? Is it possible to have a "vapor lock"? The scary thing is, I had one of my 5r tanks filled by the same people. If I got contaminated propane in my tanks, this could be a real problem.
For additional info: Ambient temperature was 60*, humidity 85...

Thanks for any info,
Larry

With the Weber BBQ it is really important that once you hook up your tank to the BBQ you MUST wait at least one full minute for the regulator to adjust to the new pressure. The colder it is out the more you should wait. So in the winter, wait a full 5 minutes BEFoRE you go to turn it on and light your BBQ.