Tow vehicle

tone100

Hi. I'm looking at a 2014 Elkridge 37 ultimate. My truck is a Chevy 3500 SRW crew cab with the Durhamax/Allison. My gvwr is 11,500. Rear axle is 7050. In the brochure the trailer has a gross weight of 15,500. I'm curious what the loaded pin weight is and if this is too much for my truck.

I weighed my truck with my wife and I and a full diesel tank.

8060lbs. I figure more like 8500 with the hitch and kids. Rear axle was 3260. Looks like I'll be fine but I want to check on here to see if I'm missing anything.

jimtoo

Hi tone100,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You can usually count on about 20-22% of the weight on the pin box. That amount is average. I think you would be good to go,, but others may not. This is link to good weight calculator.

Enjoy the forum and ask any questions you may have.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The year of your trunk will make a difference. SOOO, what year is it.....you did not say.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You are probably good, you can put your weights in to fifthwheetst.com and know for sure.

Welcome! We love our ElkRidge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tone100

Thanks for the replies. This is why I spent the extra $500 on a 1 ton truck.

I'll let you know what trailer I buy.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The 2013 will be more truck than you need. I would have look in my owners manual to see what the SRW ratings are... but my 1 ton DRW is rated at 22500# for a 5er and has a GCVW of 30500# cause its 4WD. What does your owners manual say it is?? A 2013 3/4 GM truck is rated at 17200 for a 5er.

tone100

I'm pretty sure its 17,000 lbs for a 5er. 24,500 gcwr.

I almost bought the trailer last night from McClains. The salesman promised to throw in a hitch and shook on it. Later he decided he couldn't do it so I walked.

Might be back to a sandpiper.

Dave49

tone100 don't be surprised if you get a call back from that salesman today. You walked out, he may see your serious enough to call back and say you have a deal. Or you might even later today if he don't call back for you to call him and give him one last chance. I've had them call me back with an even lower sale price. Hang in there, there is time.

Sumo

Speaking from the sales side, give him a week. And make sure you are getting a good hitch.
He needs your sale more than you need his trailer. Good luck.

Last edited:

tone100

I'm going to go with the Sandpiper. The salesman at McClains was real errogant and I prefer not to deal with someone like that. Besides he flat out lied. He had his chance. I do appreciate all your help.

jimtoo

Hi tone100,

Have you checked with Explore USA? They are Heartland dealers and have several locations. I have had nothing but good service from the location I have dealt with and I know lots of folks have had great service and deals with them. And I'm sure there are some that will say they had bad service,, but that's to be expected. I don't think they carry the Elkridge line but do have the Sundance line which has some models very close to what you were looking at.

Just would like you to become a Heartlander.

Jim M

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My last SOB was a Sandpiper. My current Heartland Bighorn has a much better build quality and alot better factory support.
There are a ton of dealers that sell trailers. Get the rig you want from another dealer, rather than letting one bad dealer experience dictate what you will end up buying. JMHO Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don't let a bad dealer experience steer you from the brand.

MCClains has a monopoly on ElkRidge in the DFW area, so look outside. A quick internet search shows dealers in Tyler and Kyle have this line, but you can buy anywhere the deal is best for you. Sometimes you can save more than the fuel to get there and back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk