ATF: North Country - black water tank cleaning

poosu

I would like to know how the black water tank cleaning system on my 2010 North Country 27 bhs works. All I know is there is a garden hose attachment on the side of the coach. When you hook a hose to it, more stuff does come out of the tank. Is this a rotating device internal to the tank? Do I need to buy a rotating wand to clean the tank from the top annually?

Garypowell

I do not know your model specifically but in general these systems are just a straight pipe with holes in them. When pressurized they spray water. Not sure of the pattern. But to my knowledge there are no moving parts.

You'd have to look in your basement where the pipe goes down into the tank to know if a wand of some kind would be helpful. Again I have normally seen these wands consist of a pipe with a sprayer on the end. If your toilet drain pipe angles at some point this straight part of the sprayer component might not be able to actually get into the tank. On my 3010 this is the case.

The main "trick" we have is at the end of each trip (like Wednesday is the end of a 2 month trip) just before we leave I pull the rig up on blocks on the door side. This tilts the black tank towards its drain and I clean the tank in that position...one more time. I feel this helps get even more stuff out. Then put a few gallons in with a treatment and then it sits for 2 - 3 months with no problems. Normally put some of the disinfectant the toilet and P traps too.

poosu

Thanks for the quick response. My tank is a straight shot under the toilet so that is easy. I'll meditate on the rotating wand. We have not stored ours with any fluid in it. We are in Florida also so winterizing is not an issue.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My normal routine is to flush, close the valve, refill the tank, close the valve and repeat until the water runs clean. It will take several times to do this. If you dont have one...get the clear plastic adapter so you can see if the water is running clean. A word or two of caution. Never walk away while you doing this, never leave the black valve open when camping and never put high water pressure to the flusher. When your done, put several gallons of water in the tank with some Dawn dish soap and chemical of your choice. BTW, I would invest in the Voltera gate valve and install it on the main sewer outlet. If you dont have one.....bad things can happen if the black water tank valve sticks open.....DONT ASK.

poosu

Good suggestions. Does the Voltera gate valve replace the existing valve or is it downstream?
Thanks
poosu

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Valterra valve is simply attached to the sewer outlet by twisting it onto the end of it. You then use the existing cap to close it off when the hose is off. Make sure you buy the one with the "bayonet" fittings. I think there is one that is designed to be permanently glued onto a pipe without the studs. That won't work in this application.

Personally, since we don' t move the rig much, I replaced the sewer cap with one that has the garden hose fitting on it. I have a hose valve on it and can drain the small amount of water in the pipe via that before removing the cap. On site, I use the Valterra valve on the end of my clear flush adapter.

So far (5 years), my main valve hasn't leaked or stuck open. Our previous TT was another story from Day 1.