Add a Vent in the 1/2 Bathroom

gunnere7

There should be a vent or small window added in the 1/2 bathroom on models with them. This is for obvious reasons. I am looking at a 3800 or 4100 and this would be a great addition.
Could one of the Ram Air vents be added into the wall of the unit in the 1/2 bath? Good question for AJ.

Mizmary

This is DEFINITELY a necessity. I will be following this. We have been trying to figure out a way to fix the venting issue...

oscar

Provided there is no framing in the way, getting a standard 14" vent in the roof over the 1/2 bath is relatively simple. Shouldn't take someone who knows what they're doing more than a few hours.

Provided there is no framing in the way, getting a standard 14" vent in the roof over the 1/2 bath is relatively simple. Shouldn't take someone who knows what they're doing more than a few hours.

On the 3800 the loft bed is over the rear 1/2 bath roof, so no roof vent can be installed. That was a deal breaker on that unit for me. Heartland needs to put a window in there like all the rest of the manufactures.

oscar

On the 3800 the loft bed is over the rear 1/2 bath roof, so no roof vent can be installed. That was a deal breaker on that unit for me. Heartland needs to put a window in there like all the rest of the manufactures.

Ah, yes that would make a vent a bit cumbersome. That said, installing a small window in the wall wouldn't be that hard either. Sabre saw, butyl tape and a screw driver….. (Provided there's no framing in the way…..)

Mizmary

After dealing with the washer dryer install, this is next on the honey-do list.

Our plan: Put a switch plate where the outlet is now in the 1/2 bath. Install the exhaust fan with light into the ceiling of the bathroom and build a box to contain and protect the ducting in the loft and have it exit out right next to the window at the top. We checked last night - with the condensation showing where the beams are we should be able to put a dryer duct vent just like the washer/dryer one right there. We will also put a small vent (or two hubby says) in the bottom of the bathroom door for proper flow. The fan we are looking at is at Home Depot and isn't terribly expensive. It doesn't move a high quantity of air.

Thinking about out how we use the loft (storage) and how uncomfortable it is to even get up there or stay up there this seems like a better use of space. I don't see anyone ever sleeping up there- it MAY at some point become a hideout or something for one of the kids- but I doubt it.

We we will post pics as we work on this one. And we will call Heartland - or email them - before we start to find out if anything else is in the way.

The fan will only run with a/c power with this setup- and we will lose the power outlet in there. Is there anyone out there that has attempted this yet? Is there anything obvious we are missing and should consider?

Mizmary

We did it. No framing was in the way. I created a post. The only thing left to do is finish framing in the fan box in the loft. The fan we purchased wasn't the quietest but it isn't loud. Cheap at Home Depot. The hardest part was all work between the loft floor and the bath ceiling because it was bolted under the wall. We lost some loft space - but I was happy to see it go, right along with the nasty "outhouse" smell in the rear bath. It is an AC fan so it won't work without shore power or generator - but still. Totally worth it!