Water Pump Question

Buckeye

Finally figured out how to use the water pump to suck anti-freeze thru the system and it worked like a charm. My question is if I never plan to use my water pump to pump fresh water is there any reason I can't just leave the valves in the same position? Second question- If I pump ant-freeze thru the valves for my washer hook-up and do not currently have a washer in my RV, do I have to do this every time I winterize ?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you leave the valve in the winterize position, you will not get fresh water from your hose hookup.
I winterize my washer hookups every year. The reason for that is if I don't clear the anti-freeze from the lines, every time I use water it will suck a little of the left over anti freeze from those lines.
I plan to eliminate those supply lines along with the drain line so that I will not have to winterize that portion of the system.

Peace
Dave

Buckeye

Thanks-good idea for the washer lines. Your saying that if I leave the valve on the pump in the winterize position I will not get water from city water/hose connection?

aatauses

You may also consider disconnecting the water lines to the washer if you never plan to use them. If it is like ours there is a "T" and you can just disconnect there and put a plug in that line.
al
currently in Surprise, AZ

brianharrison

Thanks-good idea for the washer lines. Your saying that if I leave the valve on the pump in the winterize position I will not get water from city water/hose connection?

You should get water from the city hook up - as it ties in downstream of the water pump discharge.

You will not get water from the water tank using your pump - both the suction line from the water tank and the winterize hose pick up are on the suction side of the pump. The winterize valve selects either the water tank line or the winterize hose.

Hope this helps,
Brian

Buckeye

Thanks-that is what I thought. I do not plan to use the fresh water tank so I am going to leave the valve in the bypass position.( not the easiest valve to reach anyway.) Any thoughts on using air instead of anti-freeze to winterize ?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Not sure exactly how your valve arrangement works but you may also be bypassing your water heater in the "winterize" mode.

Buckeye

I believe the bypass on the water pump only allows the pump to take water from the fresh water tank or the anti-freeze line so I should be Ok. I guess I will find out for sure when I head down to SC on Feb 1. Thanks again for all the help.

mobilcastle

Why not just put shutoff valves in the lines and leave them?
If you leave the valve in the winterize position, you will not get fresh water from your hose hookup.
I winterize my washer hookups every year. The reason for that is if I don't clear the anti-freeze from the lines, every time I use water it will suck a little of the left over anti freeze from those lines.
I plan to eliminate those supply lines along with the drain line so that I will not have to winterize that portion of the system.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Shut off valves would be a great thing to add.
The reason I thought about eliminating the plumbing is so I could get rid of that box raceway just inside of the basement door.
That box takes up a lot of entryway space......and it hurts my head.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We wanted to add cut-offs for the washer lines, but the lines headed to the washer also go to our bathroom sink. Therefore, we would have to terminate just after the T for the sink. This was unfortunately in a location very hard to get to, between the water heater and UDC and up against the outside wall.

To add them later down the line in our case would have created a length of pipe that would be susceptible to freezing, so then we still have to winterize (run antifreeze through it), thereby nullifying having the cut-offs in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

The reason I thought about eliminating the plumbing is so I could get rid of that box raceway just inside of the basement door.

Peace
Dave

I removed mine years ago, one less reason for my head to hurt.

mobilcastle

I understand now-I have been there more than once!:cool:

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't mean to hyjack, but where should you put cut-offs? Our line to the washer Ts to go to the bathroom sink. Wouldn't the cut-off valve need to be just past the T? If too far down the line from that, water could be trapped in that section and not flushed during winterizing, right? The point of adding the cut-off is to avoid having to winterize that water line.

mobilcastle

If I read your post right-yes just past the T. If you use air to blow out the lines it should clear out. If you antifreeze it will mix with any water left in the line. I use air and then antifreeze to winterize. I have never had a problem and it get cold here in OH. One if these days I won't need to winterize!!