Slide Leak part 2

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I don't think it's the slide leaking. I stood and watched where the water was running. (no jokes about not enough sense to come in out of the rain..:) ) Anyway, the gutter where the roof rolls over has a seam in it and a low place right above where it's wet on the inside. Water is pouring down the wall on the outside there, so I think that may be it. There appears to be no water running any where near the slide seals.
Now... anyone have an idea for a temporary fix in the rain? Short of standing there with my finger over the hole? LOL

nscaler2

slide leak

Ray,
We had a leak in the rear of our 3055rl near the corner of the room. It was near the entertainment slide so for a while I thought it was the slide, but couldn't figue out where it was coming in the slide. Later, due to just a fluke, while cleaning window on the side near the back, I found a small gap in the gasket material that they squeez between the window frame and the side of the trailer. I watered it with a garden hose and immediately the carpet was wet inside. So, if there is a window near where your leak is, look all around the edge if its frame on the outside. If you have even the smallest hole or gap in the gasket, you have a leak. A little caulking fixed mine in about 5 minutes.

pickuphunt

We had a leak on our door side slide, found that the seal over the slide had stuck to the slide when the slide was put out, then when the slide came in the seal 'drooped' down allowing water to seep in. From now on before I close the slides, I check the upper seals to be sure they are in place. Note, our water leak happened with the slides in.

slmayor

OK, here's the latest update. I did determine that it's not the slide. There is a window above where its leaking, but the seam in the gutter and resulting dip in same is also above the window. Not sure which is leaking but I have removed 5 king size bath towels that were sopping wet and vacuumed up the remainder (several times today) with my carpet cleaner. This leads me to another couple questions where we could use some advice.
1. We bought off the dealer lot, trailer was delivered to them in March. We noticed the leak during the first rain a few days after we were home in the middle of October (but not as bad as now). Now I wonder how long it had been leaking and what kind of damage is in the walls and floors. Any one else had to deal with water issues as far as preventing/fixing damage? and how did you take care of them?
2. As far as I know the dealer will take care of fixing the leak, but how far would you go as to making sure you didn't have dry rot issues after the unit was out of warranty?
I want to make it perfectly clear, we still love our Bighorn and as far as I can tell will have no issues with the dealer, but that brings me to my third question, should I call the factory and ask for their advice?

We needed the rain badly, but I sure wish it would stop for a few hours...LOL
Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

jpmorgan37

Ray;

I would call Jim Fenner at 877-262-8032. Jim is the Customer Service Manager and he will advise you as what you should do.

John

slmayor

Thank you, John,
The sun is shining here today, so it will give me a chance to hopefully stop the leak, at least temporarily. As soon as it warms up a little, I'll go out with caulk and a ladder.
The thing that has me worried, is it was a LOT of water, not just some dampness. We had a roof leak in the 2nd class C when we had a bad snow. The roof was replaced without issue, but then 3 years later we had to rebuild the entire cabover as it had dry rot. So you can see where my concern is coming from.
Deb