ATF: Landmark - Winterize residential refrigerator

travlingman

How do you winterize a residential refidgerator? I asked in appliance forum and no definite answer given there. Do you use air, or anti-freeze, or can you use either choice? Since it has water dispenser and ice maker do you have to follow a procedure for each?

K

karykatz

We have made winterization easy for the Residential refer option. All floor plans have a shut off valve to the water supply line (most floor plans are located under the island) and a drain valve for the icemaker water line under the slide room. When winterizing, shut the water line off and drain the water line. After this is done do your normal winterizing. I hope this helps.

travlingman

I found both of the valves you speak of. So all I do is close the inside water valve under cabinet, then open valve outside by the wheel to let it drain? Don't have to blow out with air or add antifreeze? You are right, that is real easy.

Majestic

Travelingman, did you find it that easy and it worked. We realize now that it is not. The line from the valve to the fridge doesn't drain, freezes and splits. The line still needs blowing out.

travlingman

Travelingman, did you find it that easy and it worked. We realize now that it is not. The line from the valve to the fridge doesn't drain, freezes and splits. The line still needs blowing out.

I just went out and pressurized the system with air and I didn't have a leak. But, when I winterized I went ahead and blew it out with air just to be sure. I noticed when winterizing that when I opened the valve that it didn't appear that water came out from the fridge.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just went out and pressurized the system with air and I didn't have a leak. But, when I winterized I went ahead and blew it out with air just to be sure. I noticed when winterizing that when I opened the valve that it didn't appear that water came out from the fridge.
In order for anything to come out of the fridge, you will have to activate a solenoid for your water dispenser and/or icemaker.
That will open the valve and allow air/water to pass through.

Peace
Dave

travlingman

In order for anything to come out of the fridge, you will have to activate a solenoid for your water dispenser and/or icemaker.
That will open the valve and allow air/water to pass through.

Peace
Dave

The valve I am talking about is the one under the slide that you open to drain water out of line. Using air, I used the water dispenser inside to make sure water was out of line. I had opened valve underneath before using the air, and didn't think that water had came out from line leading to fridge from the valve.

travlingman

Update. Went on our first trip this year, and yes, the line to the fridge had busted. I didn't find this with the air check, don't know why. But I did when I turned the water on to the fridge. Will use air to winterize it this year and not follow the reccommended procdure of just opening valve.

danemayer

A couple of us examined the residential refrigerator plumbing recently and tested various ways of winterizing. The results are included in the Residential Refrigerator Guide. It takes some specific steps with compressed air to get all the water out.

travlingman

Thanks for all the work put into that. Got mine back from dealer yesterday, going to try and run some water through it before we leave Friday and see if it works. Looks like the factory method of opening valve only isn't working.