North Trail 32 RLTS 2014.

Delaine and Lindy

Hello Heartlanders, I'm Lindy of Delaine and Lindy, we retired from RVing and sold the Mobile Suites, back in the spring. And really didn't think we will return. But, Delaine doesn't like to pack a suit case! About a month ago we bought a Forest River, small light weight travel trailer. We also sold our home in Tennessee and moved to LA, thats Lower Alabama, Foley to be exact.. We also have a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, and we learned real quick, I need a little more Truck, so I called my Dealership and ordered a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500, gas burner had many Diesels from a Freighliner sports chassis, and 5 Chevy 3500HD's. Think we will go with the gas engine, 6.0 Vortec, it was ordered today, be April time frame for deliver..

And now the rest of the story, Delaine got on the Apple and we bought a 2014 North Trail 32 RLTS. My question is, anyone have any Pro's or Con's.. We have had 6 5th wheels, Keystones, Landmark, 2 Mobile Suites etc, so we aren't rookies, but are rookies with a travel trailer. We went 500 miles today with the Forest River 26 TBUD. No problems but, I just think a 2500 (3/4 ton) will suit our needs better. For those who know us, know that we go West each summer for 3 months or more.. Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, Wyoming, etc.

Would like comments.. Thanks, and yes a Big Hello to our friend Jim B. were ever you are...

jimtoo

Welcome back to the family. Seems as thou once you get the RV bug,,,you just can't get rid of it.

Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There are a bunch of us Heartland owners in Colorado . . .

Be sure to give us a shout out when you are here!

Or come by the Colorado Heartland Owners Rally in Colorado Springs the weekend after Memorial Day.

priorguy

Just have a good hitch setup as travel trailers tend to buck and sway more the fivers. You have plenty of truck as I pull with a half ton gasser. You just have to get used to the lesser headroom than in a fiver. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Weight distributing hitch a must-have . . .

Just have a good hitch setup as travel trailers tend to buck and sway more the fivers. You have plenty of truck as I pull with a half ton gasser. You just have to get used to the lesser headroom than in a fiver. Good luck.

I pull my trailer with a Dodge Ram 1500 4 x 4, and it does OK, but when going up the mountain it huffs and puffs.

I plan on getting a 2500 in a year or two as my truck is a 1996 and has 162,000 miles on it and still has the original motor and tranny on it, so it is getting tired.

When the time comes for me to have to drop a lot of money in it, it will probably be the time to trade it in on a new one.

As it is right now, the 4-wheel drive quit working . . . it is a somewhat simple fix (vacuum leak) . . . but expensive to get done (and I'm not much of an auto mechanic)!

My regular mechanic diagnosed the problem, but he said he doesn't do tranny or 4-wheel drive issues.

And all the tranny shops want to do is replace everything (transfer case and tranny) for around $3500 . . . not fix the vacuum leak.

I was recently told of a local 4 x 4 shop that might do the fix . . . gonna contact them soon!

I love my truck, though . . . wish I could drive it forever!

As for the hitch . . . get a weight distributing setup and sway bar!

When we bought our first TT 13 years ago I pulled it once without the WD setup . . . took the truck and trailer in the following week and had it installed (a Reese setup)!

And have not regretted it one bit!

And when we traded the old trailer in for our new Trail Runner, I just had them take it off of the old trailer and install it on the new one.

NewCamperTruck-P9110306.jpg Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg

Delaine and Lindy

Re: Weight distributing hitch a must-have . . .

Thanks for the responses. As for the hitch set, I bought there new Equalizer four point, anti-sway, weight distribution system. And so far it works great. No sway, and no chain to hook up... It's suppose to be the newest Equalizer system... (Pricey). But as for the 2013 Chevy, well it does a fine job at 60 mph, but 70 mph the fuel mileage is horrible, 5.6 mpg. At 60 the mileage is 9.3. It has the 5.3 and now has 17,000 miles on the clock, we used it this past summer, while in Southern Colorado, and we lease a apartment in Red River, New Mexico. Just didn't really like the hotels and the price was somewhat expensive... And Delaine doesn't like packing a suit case...

The 2013 Forestriver (Salem T-Bud) has electic jack on the front. What are your thoughts on the manuel vs. electric jack?

But we have pulled the Rockies to many times, and the Chevy 1500 want work there. As I said I ordered a 2015 Chevy 2500 Vortec HO. Want be built to some time Jan./Feb time frame.. But we want go West until late July.... I highly recommend the Equalizer Weight control, anti-sway system....

priorguy

Electric jack is a must for hooking a WD hitch with all the up and down. You got a Cadillac hitch so you should be fine. I bought me truck new and use it mostly as a family station wagon. Trailer towing is secondary, but it handles the light weight North Trail with ease. I'm well below on all weights and get about 15mpg towing do far in mild hills at posted speed limit. The truck and trailer both do exactly as I need them too right now. I see an HD diesel in my future but there will be fiver behind it. For right now my truck and trailer cost less together the the truck or trailer of the future alone. There again I have a friend in different financial circumstances rolling down the road truck and trailer for what some people spend on tires.

As long as you're happy and healthy, more power to each person out there. Someone has to buy the new stuff and others the used. It keeps the economy going, sales people in commissions, and the factories running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

What should a person expect to pay for a electric front jack?

I used the Barker VIP 3500 on two different trailers with no problems. I used it on my Edge, and then put it on my North Trail. It looks like they are running around 200 bucks now, but if you do a diligent search of the web you may find one cheaper. I just did a cursory search and here is an ebay link that was returned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/380768893613?lpid=82

priorguy

I purchased the cheaper one on the bottom of the link above. It was $135 ups to my door Canadian. Worked well on my fun finder and is now on the front of a friends 80's prowler (fleet wood). I put one in the deal on north trail and the dealer installed a husky 4500. Way more then I need but works well.