Which Wireless Lan card in a new Laptop is best

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I'm looking at replacing my Laptop. Dell only supplies an 802.11/n card another machine I'm looking at has an 802.11 b/g/n card. With only the 'n', would I run into problems in campgrounds because of network speed issues? Your input is appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The 'n' is the fastest and longest range of the bunch.
Normally the cards are backward compatible as in the b/g/n you are looking at.
If the Dell is the one that really interests you, give Dell a call and double check on the rating of their card.

Peace
Dave

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm looking at replacing my Laptop. Dell only supplies an 802.11/n card another machine I'm looking at has an 802.11 b/g/n card. With only the 'n', would I run into problems in campgrounds because of network speed issues? Your input is appreciated.

You will be fine with the n but you will not get full speed rating out of the n protocol unless the wireless access point you are connecting to also broadcasts in n.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertThumper

A Linksys, Netgear or D-link USB network cards will work for what you want to do. If the N is configured where you are trying to connect then you will benefit the N speed. Otherwise your standard G will be fine and all new network cards come with all the 802.11 requirements built in the card for you.

stevenssr

I know it's not exactly what you were asking but have you considered turning your cell phone into a hotspot vs a wireless card? This is a very flexible solution because we always have our cell phones with us. You can log in many devices and users. This way I have a wireless network in my Big Country just like at home. I use my iPhone, but I believe most smart phones are capable of doing this.