Extended warranties needed ??

I was filling out the warranty card on our new 3400RL today and noticed that several appliances have an option for an extented warranty. I think if I remember correctly that it was for the furnance and the hot water heater and refrig. The olevia tv also has this option. I usually pass on all extended warranty plans (vehicles, etc) but I am not familiar with the failure rates on any of the RV appliances as I am fairly new to the RV scene. Any recomendations as always will considered and appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff :rolleyes:

jpmorgan37

Jeff & Kristina;

Check the manufacturers warranty on each of your appliances because some of them come standard with a two or three year warranty, so look at each one carefully before you sign up for the extended service contract.

John

vangoes

Jeff & Kristinia
That decision is always a judgement call regardless. My fiver is the sixth ( I think) Rv that I have had and this one is the only one that I have had any of the systems/appliances fail. My microwave rolled craps three times in the first year; however, even if not under warranty they are cheap enough that paying for an extended warranty would not be justified. My last RV (a motorhome) was 8 years old and never had any problems. Sooo, I guess I really didn't help you much..............other than to say, the extended warranties are very expensive and in my experiences they would not have paid for themselves. Surely as I say this, with my luck when I pull out on Sunday something will no doubt prove me wrong!......Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the responses. Actually the two appliances that I guess I was most concerned about are the water heater and the furnance. They offer an extended warranty on each for $25.00. These units are fairly expensive to replace (about $600 ea.). We plan to use the BH quit regularly and didn't know about the longevity of the heaters. Like I said, I'm not a extended warr. type of guy but $25.00?? What the hey.
Any comments :confused:

boatdoc

In all our years of RV's never had a w/h or furnace go bad but for $25.00 each, like you say, what the heck. Wouldn't it be nice to pay that for a fridge extended contract!!!

Uncle Rog

Grab 'em all!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is not too late negotiate as long an extended warranty on ALL systems as long as you can......I fooled 'em and found out that the extended warranty was zero, unless it was not negotiated up front....
Have a great time with your rig................

ChopperBill

Extended warranties are a crap shoot. I have a better chance of getting my $1000 from Uncle Rog than making one pay off. ;)

GaryB

Does Heartland offer specific extended warranty options? Or are these extended warranties specific to the dealer selling the unit? If Heartland offers them, I'd like to look at the details in advance.

Thanks
Gary

jbeletti

Hi Gary,

Heartland does not offer extended warranties on the trailer or any components contained in it. If you send in the warranty cards that will come with your trailer for all the appliances and such, you will usually be offered extended warranties by those companies.

You can also purchase extended warranties for your trailer and systems from 3rd party insurers. Some people have reported good luck with some of them.

Jim

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
When we bought our BH the dealer offered us and extended warranty that, if unused over the term of the warranty, you get all your money back except a small adm. charge that I think was around $100. I thought that was OK and if you have a problem with something you way the repair cost versus the return. Again a crap shoot depending on the number of small items you decide to cover yourself...../Doug