Cabinet hinges

Snowbirds

Has anyone had any trouble with the hinges seperating from the overhead cabinet doors? We have a 2014 Bighorn 3585 and have had 2 hinges seperate from the doors in 2 months. The hinge is mounted to the door with plastic inserts and the inserts are pulling from the wood. There has been no adhesive on any of the inserts. For a quick fix, I glued them back together and used a larger screw so it would expand the insert more. My dealer said all the hinges may have to be glued to stop the problem...

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
We've had 2 pop out so far. I put a couple of drops of super glue on the plastic insert and jab them back into the holes. Let it cure overnight before using again and no more issue. Pretty minor aggravation, but a quick and simple fix. (I also unscrew the strut and reattach the next day, makes it easier to re-seat the screws).

Lobovista

We are three weeks into a six week trip up the east side of the country. We have had at least 1 hinge come out every day we have been on the road. Closet doors, overhead cabinets and lower storage cabinets. These hinges should have been glued at the factory. Our unit is an 2011 Elk Ridge.

barbmora

I have a 2013 Gateway and I've just had a hinges separate from the cabinet also. I will try this as soon as we get back home. Thanks for the info.

bsuds

We have a 2011 Big Country and I had to do my overhead cabinets last fall. Took them all down and glued the inserts. I think this should have been done at the factory but it wasn't too hard to fix once the problem showed itself.

donr827

I had the same problem on my 2013, build March 2012. So far I have glued 4 hinges. I used Gorilla Glue and use a clamp until glue dried. You would think that they would have corrected this problem by now.Don

JanAndBill

Yup, same here. Take the doors down, hinges off, and pull the insert out if not already out. Put a little Gorilla Glue in the hole, then use a clamp with blocks of wood on each side of the door to protect the finish and force the insert down in the hole till it bottoms out. You don't need a lot pressure. I tried a hammer and block but insert just bounced when it got close and wouldn't go in the last little bit.

It's amazing to see how far back posts go on this and other sites about the cabinet door hinges. I can't understand why Heartland hasn't modified what is obviously a design flaw. We bought a North Trail 32BUDS in May 2014. On the walk through at purchase, one hinge popped out. They said they would fix it before we hooked up to it. Pretty sure they didn't since we went straight from the dealer to a campground and that same cabinet hinge popped out again. Another one also popped out that weekend. Since then, all of the cabinets with raise up doors have had the same problem. I'm afraid to open them now! We have it parked for the summer at a campground and haven't taken the time to take it back to the dealer so I think we will try the gorilla glue fix. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

ww_big_al

I am having the same problem. 2014, 26LRSS Heartland. From what I can see, the are drilling the hinge pockets to shallow so the hinge will not seat down all the way. Also, I believe the spring struts are to strong for the hinge. I haven't tried gluing them in yet but that is next. I don't trust the dealer or Heartland to fix this correctly.

I would like to see the factory response to this thread.

danemayer

I am having the same problem. 2014, 26LRSS Heartland. From what I can see, the are drilling the hinge pockets to shallow so the hinge will not seat down all the way. Also, I believe the spring struts are to strong for the hinge. I haven't tried gluing them in yet but that is next. I don't trust the dealer or Heartland to fix this correctly.

I would like to see the factory response to this thread.
Hi ww_big_al,

Welcome to the posting side of forum membership.

The factory doesn't monitor all areas of the forum and probably won't see this post. When they do get involved in specific problems, they usually do so one-on-one.

OBX_Raineys

Not a Bighorn owner, but I have a similar issue on our new Sundance. Dropped it off at the dealer to have it fixed since it's only 3 months old.

glr482

The problem is the force exerted by the hold open spring actually pulls the inserts out as the door swings through its arc. I've done four doors now on our 2014 Bighorn 3010 RE using JB Kwik two part epoxy. A little smeared around the hole in the door with a toothpick and then around the insert itself. Press the insert back in the hole as far as it goes. Wipe off any excess with a paper towel. Five minutes later, back on the hinge and good to go! No clamping, blocks, or long waits. None I've fixed have come apart since. Just make sure you do both sides, not just the side where the hold open is.

Gary Robinson
2014 Bighorn 3010RE
1999 F250 Crew Cab 7.3 real diesel!

JanAndBill

Gorilla glue works also. Also when you put the inserts back in, I would suggest using a block of wood on each side of the door and a C-clamp to squeeze the inserts in till they bottom out in the hole. Otherwise they stand slightly proud of the door surface. When you tighten down the hinge it pulls into the insert, not the surface of the door.

pegmikef

What JanAndBill said plus I also used a little larger wood screws which expanded the insert a little for a tighter fit. Just be careful with the screw length. I probably fixed six doors when I had my 26LRSS, but I never had to fix one a second time.