What was Christmas like at your house

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Back in the early 1940's living on the farm my dad and I would give all the livestock extra bedding and a bit more feed on Christmas Eve. I would say merry Christmas to my dog and give him some extra food also. When Dad and I came to the house you could smell the roasted goose in the oven and the smell of fresh brew coffee. We had a very small christmas tree with one major package for each of us and maybe another one with some kind of clothes. The major package would have a toy that I realy wanted. I would play with that toy for weeks on end and I took very good care of my toys because thats all I got until next Christmas. I can remeber how good it felt to have mom and dad at my side that evening also. OH FOR THE GOOD OLD DAYS!! Thanks for taking the time to read my Christmas. I hope everyone has some momories like mine. Evans & Lana

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
That sounds like our home too. I am the youngest of three and one year it was a little poorer out than others so we only got a coaster sled for all three of us. When the name tags were put on it they were put on in order of age from front to back and I was in the back. Well my oldest sister being the oldest always sat in the front and steered and guess who had to ride in the back and push all the time. You can imagine how glad I was when she got too old for sledding. That was probably the worst of any Christmas so over all they were all good in the end. One year I was over seas and couldn't make it home until nearly Easter and when I walked into the living room there sat a Christmas tree that my mother had somehow kept alive so we could have Christmas together. Life is good, isn't it?

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Obscure Person, yes Life is good and thank God for our mothers and dads. I remember one year, I think I was around 19 years old Mom and Dad were both sick and in the hospital in November. I was still living at home and working so it was up to me to pay the bills and buy groceries. Although mom and dad went back to work a couple weeks before Christmas,of course their money was slim and the gifts were few. That Christmas taught me something that I guess I already new,its not the number of gifts or how much they cost,it is the amount of love that is behind each gift. I knew mom and dad struggled that year to give us anything but I knew how much love that had put into each gift. I remember that as being one of the best Christmas' ever.MERRY CHRISTMAS to everyone on this forum and to your families. Renee,Kala(our daughter),and I hope that this is the best Christmas ever for you.

christianson

I also grew up on a farm in southern Minnesota it seams like christmas back in the 40,s and 50,s christmas meant something now days it is getting to commercalized that we are losing the meaning even if times were tough they realy ment something Merry Christmas to all