Truck bed cover

Boozecamp

I want to purchases a bed cover for my truck that I can leave on the truck whether I'm towing the 5er or not. Sounds like its between a roll up vs. fold up. Don't want vinyl. Any suggestions? Don't want the pin assembly to interfere with the bed cover.

greg7140

I have been very happy with my Trifecta by Extang. It has been on my 2008 450 for 5 years now and have not had any issues with it. It is a tri-fold unit and if you have an 8' bed it works great to leave the hitch area open when folded up, but my coolers, gas cans, etc still are under the folded up cover.

There are a lot out there...I had a roll up with "rails" on my 2005 Silverado 2500 and twice I caught and damaged the rails on a sharp uneven turn with a 5th wheel...but...the 2500 was a short bed also so maybe that was part of it? The Trifecta doesn't use rails, can be put on and removed in less that 5 minutes without tools and has (at least when I bought mine) a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser...I like it...and will probably buy another one someday when I change trucks.

http://www.extang.com/docs/trifecta.html

MTPockets

I 'had' the Bak flip F4 on my 2012 F350 crew short bed. I really liked the F4 cover, so I bought one for my 2013 F350 DRW. (Short bed cover for sale 1/2 price) The Bak Flip had to be up against the rear of the short bed cab when towing. Long bed is no issue. I have the MorRyde also, and the corners would hit the cover when turning if I left the cover down. If you have the regular pin box which is narrower, I think it would clear.

Wmnmy

I have been very happy with my Trifecta by Extang. It has been on my 2008 450 for 5 years now and have not had any issues with it. It is a tri-fold unit and if you have an 8' bed it works great to leave the hitch area open when folded up, but my coolers, gas cans, etc still are under the folded up cover.

There are a lot out there...I had a roll up with "rails" on my 2005 Silverado 2500 and twice I caught and damaged the rails on a sharp uneven turn with a 5th wheel...but...the 2500 was a short bed also so maybe that was part of it? The Trifecta doesn't use rails, can be put on and removed in less that 5 minutes without tools and has (at least when I bought mine) a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser...I like it...and will probably buy another one someday when I change trucks.

http://www.extang.com/docs/trifecta.html

I second that the extang is great I have had mine in two trucks both short bed not in the wat when I tow and covers gennys from prying eyes .

rgwilliams69

On Ford Super Duty (F350) I've had both the Trifecta and BakFlip Fiber Max (have the Max now). For me it's the Max by a long shot. More expensive, but I love being able to have everything really locked down, looks great on the truck, and folds up completely out of the way, especially on the Long Bed Dually. They also have an add-on option called the BakBox, that basically puts a foldable tray toolbox hanging on the same rails at just behind the cab. It holds tons of stuff and stays dry, secure, and locked (when the cover is all the way down). If you need for some reason to use 100% of the bed the BakFlip rests up against the rear of the cab and the BakBox folds flat. Pretty ingenious combination. Good stuff. Never had to take it off no matter what I'm doing, which is a plus. I didn't like the Trifecta because I would have to take it off if I wanted to stack stuff in the front 1/3 of the bed, and of course although it locked you could run a knife right though it and that's that. People could probably still get in the BakFlip but at least they would have to work at it. ;)

Greg

Boozecamp

Thanks for the replies!!Another question: I bought the "Advanced Folding Cover - Classic" and I'm tring to install it. My question is: do I have to remove the bed rail covers before I install the folding cover?. Seems like I do, because the Bed Rail Cover has ridges along the length. The cover rails will mount and clamp down but not sure if the bed rail covers will cause me trouble later. I hate to remove those protective bed rail covers though.

jnbhobe

I never removed any of mine, the only problem I've had is the plastic is not smooth so every once in a while I have to put new double sided 3M tape down.

Boozecamp

I did a little grinding on the first rib and the rail seated nicely. I really like the folding cover, just wished the put another locking port on the rear of the unit.

jnbhobe

I had mine built with the old style latches that were hidden so I didn't need locks,and the front compartment has a fuel tank tool box combo I there.