Residential Refrigerator Questions

Fonz46

I have agreed to purchase a 2014 Bighorn that we are very excited about. The rig has the Frigidaire 22.6 cubic ft residential refrigerator and we are looking for any comments or suggestions from you guys who have the same refrigerator. I also wondered if there are provisions to disable the auto defrost feature while running on the inverter as that feature pulls a lot of current. How well does the indoor ice and water dispenser work?

jbeletti

Re: Residential refrigeator

Hi Fonz,

Congrats on the Bighorn. Here's a link to all the manuals for the Frigidaire residential refer and related items. I looked through them and while I found lots of info on the Auto Defrost feature, I saw nothing on disabling it. I will be turning mine back on tonight ahead of a trip we're taking to Pigeon Forge, TN next week. If I see anything in the menu on the front panel, I'll let you know - but I'm thinking you can't disable it. Not sure what your use-case is (travel many days without AC power, boondock for more than a day etc.) - but I've had great success with mine thus far.

By the way, some of us who own and use the residential refer are supplying content for a *User Guide for this refer. The neat things about user written guides is that its "real world" from actual real user experiences. Combined with mfr manuals and you're in a pretty good place. When you get your unit, your experiences can also contribute to the residential refer user guide.

* Disclaimer: The User Guides are not a Heartland RVs document. Content is supplied by Heartland product owners and edited/produced by a Heartland product owner.

As for the in-door water and ice dispenser, it's great! I run a two-stage (sediment, then charcoal) whole house water filtration system in the utility area (behind "the wall"). Then there's a filter in the refer itself. We drink the water and use the ice - where I've never done so with past refers/ice makers.

Just picked up my 2014 Key Largo. The temps have turned cold, down to 16 last night. Now one of the reasons I bought this rig is because of its low temp rating. Earlier this evening water was running under the kitchen slide. I crawled under the rig to find the cause of this leakage and found a white valve? or pressure reg mounted on the frame. The line attached is the line to the residential fridge ice maker. The valve or pressure reg froze and broke. My question is what idiot would mount a small line that is not insulated on the outside of the frame? Be aware that any sustained temp below 32 would freeze and break this item.

danemayer

Be aware that any sustained temp below 32 would freeze and break this item.
Hi LuckyLargo,

The water systems throughout your RV need special treatment when temps fall below freezing. Refrigerator icemakers and water dispensers included. For example, on units where the refrigerator is in a slideout, the water feed line may be routed under the slide, exposed to outside air. It will freeze and break in freezing temps. This is true of the standard refrigerators, and if water is routed the same way, is true for residential refrigerators as well.

You'll also need to be concerned with the water pump, the 4-way valve, and the fresh tank drain (also exposed to outside air). If temps go below the mid-20s, you'll probably need protection for your holding tanks. Tank heating pads are part of the Yeti option.

For some tips on how to protect your water systems, take a look at our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

Hey Dan,

I believe the residential refrigerator is a new product to Heartland and what I have encountered is just an oversight. It is just when a RV is advertized as a 4 season, fulltime, 0 degree tested RV you don't expect these issues. This is how mine was set up. The water comes in the UDC to a manifold, a poly line just like for a residential ice maker is ran over 20 feet to the other end of the slideout. Remember that the fridge sits in the slide right next to the UDC. The line continues to a hole in the frame where it comes out and goes to a white part of some sort mounted on the outside of the frame rail. The line then continues back the full length of the slide to the fridge. I don't understand why such a long run was used with half of it outside the frame rails. I also don't understand why none of it is insulated. It is really a small matter to insulate the line and whatever the plastic part is connected to the line. I will look at rerouting the line as I can see no reason for it to run from one end of the slide and back again. This is something the factory should be made aware of. Anyone set up this way and using this unit fulltime four seasons will encounter this unless they winterize the unit which means you are not fulltime. Unless you just like drinking anti-freeze. lol

danemayer

You don't have to winterize the whole coach, just the icemaker/water dispenser feed line. There's a cutoff valve that keeps water from flowing, and the drain valve lets you evacuate the water after closing the cutoff. Mine has been shut off since the March rally in Santo, TX. I had de-winterized it before the rally, but during the rally temps dropped below freezing and I had to get the water out of the feed line and solenoid. I just left it shut off all summer and bought a bag of ice instead.

Obviously it could be re-engineered and protected from freezing. But it would take heat tape as well as insulation.

The larger problem is that 4 season means one thing in central Texas but quite another in North Dakota or in Canada.

We're on our way to Breckenridge, CO for an extended ski trip. 4 season for us has meant temps down to -30F. I've had to do a lot of extra things to be able to wake up with running water and not have freeze damage. I suppose Heartland could have done all those things as part of offering a 4 season RV, but the price would have been higher for everyone, including people who use their RVs from May through September, which is the majority.

So the trade off appears to be that we get a lower cost RV, but for the few of us who are going to operate in sub-freezing weather, we have to buy some options and do some modifications.

I did look into this further and found the valve under the sink. I will replace the outside plastic valve that broke with brass. It may freeze and have no water flow but it won't break like plastic. The pex line should be fine in that it can expand a great deal. I will also wrap the pipe and valve in some insulating tape. The pipe did not have a problem, it was the plastic valve that broke. Like I said, the design was not thought thru very well. Should be a cheap fix.

Don't misunderstand me, I love my Key Largo and if this is all that goes wrong I will take it all day long. I guess I got caught flat footed in that I have only had the rig a week and had not yet learned all of the little things.

I hope I never see -30, not just because of the RV but I hate cold. But you have to admit if you can't make 4 seasons in Texas something needs fixed. Something like that is easily and cheaply fixed at the factory. Those boys up in Indiana know about cold and I am sure if they relook that plastic valve they will see that it won't last 5 minutes out in the cold.

Stay warm Dan, hope to see you around the campfire soon and thanks for the info.

wdk450

Re: Residential refrigeator

Jim:
If you have access to the Model number, maybe you could call the Frigidare hot line (the number is usually posted inside the fridge) for a possible answer. Otherwise, if I didn't want the defrost possibility, I would get it cold before the trip and then disconnect its power during travel.

Hi Fonz,

Congrats on the Bighorn. Here's a link to all the manuals for the Frigidaire residential refer and related items. I looked through them and while I found lots of info on the Auto Defrost feature, I saw nothing on disabling it. I will be turning mine back on tonight ahead of a trip we're taking to Pigeon Forge, TN next week. If I see anything in the menu on the front panel, I'll let you know - but I'm thinking you can't disable it. Not sure what your use-case is (travel many days without AC power, boondock for more than a day etc.) - but I've had great success with mine thus far.

By the way, some of us who own and use the residential refer are supplying content for a *User Guide for this refer. The neat things about user written guides is that its "real world" from actual real user experiences. Combined with mfr manuals and you're in a pretty good place. When you get your unit, your experiences can also contribute to the residential refer user guide.

* Disclaimer: The User Guides are not a Heartland RVs document. Content is supplied by Heartland product owners and edited/produced by a Heartland product owner.

As for the in-door water and ice dispenser, it's great! I run a two-stage (sediment, then charcoal) whole house water filtration system in the utility area (behind "the wall"). Then there's a filter in the refer itself. We drink the water and use the ice - where I've never done so with past refers/ice makers.

Thanks for the info, first time setup on my new Big Horn
and nobody told me there was a valve under the
sink. Just wasted 2 hours. Nice to have the forum for us dummies.
Thanks

danemayer

Thanks for the info, first time setup on my new Big Horn
and nobody told me there was a valve under the
sink. Just wasted 2 hours. Nice to have the forum for us dummies.
Thanks

Hi rlparker115,

Congratulations on your new Bighorn and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm glad to hear that you were able to benefit from the information here. And no matter how experienced you are, there's always going to be a question another owner can help you with. Feel free to post any questions.

We also have some owner-written user guides you might find helpful. Here's a link.

Majestic

I went to to inspect my new Landmark at the dealer today, they hadn't noticed this valve hanging down yet.

i looked specifically for this because of this thread, great job folks.

This is the relief valve for the fridge. Shipped from the factory with ice in the ice maker and water in the line, now thawing out in the shop. This is an embarrassment, I can't understand how HL can charge me nearly $100k for this quality of workmanship. We left the dealer very disheartened today, what a let down. Yes the employees are human, where is the Management and quality control, no excuse for this. If my staff released this after quality control checks, they would be unemployed.

image.jpg

jbeletti

Gary,

I can't speak for the plant, but I can certainly pass your post onto them for review so they can consider their winter shipping process.

Please help me better understand the matter that had you leaving the dealer very disheartened.

What I am hearing is: Heartland pressurized the plumbing system with water, which included the ice maker line. Heartland did not drain the water from the ice maker line and/or put antifreeze in it before shipping the unit in the winter.

Was that an accurate representation of the matter?

Further - was there any damage that you've noticed?

I also have the Residential Refer. I have RV'd with it this season in freezing temps. I assume my refer water line has frozen where it's outside the frame, including the drain valve setup (what you have hanging down in your pic). Mine thawed on its own and was no worse for the wear. That's my experience only however.

Looking forward to hearing back from you and if you have suggestions on improving the setup, please pass those back to me here, especially if you end up modifying it.

Majestic

Jim

you are correct, they never blew out the fridge lines or emptied the ice maker, it was -38 when the unit arrived. The dealer is new to Landmark, pulled the unit into the shop the night before we got down there. The ice melted, pouring water all over the floor, under cabinets and the valve and lines under the slide were dripping water on the floor.

the plant winterized the unit but didn't blow out the fridge.

standard procedure should be to isolate the fridge after testing, charge the main system with glycol and blow the fridge dry and empty in ice

jbeletti

Thanks for the detail Gary.

When you say:

"ice melted, pouring water all over the floor, under cabinets and the valve and lines under the slide were dripping water on the floor"

By "floor", do you mean the shop floor at the dealership of the floor inside your RV? Just wanting to best understand this before I push it to Corporate.

I hope you have better luck than we have had with our Frigidaire residential refrigerator. The first one that was in the RV when we purchased it would not cool below 75 degrees. It never got out of the dealers because they discovered in the pre delivery inspection that the freon line was punctured by a screw. The service company said the refrigerator could not be repaired.

The dealer replaced it with a new refrigerator and tested it for 24 hrs and it seemed to be working fine. We took delivery on it and took it out several days later on a shakedown trip to a campground fairly close to home.

Within the first 24hrs we had two problems: the ice maker was not getting water and water was leading into the freezer and freezing into large chunks of ice. We turned off the ice maker and got all the ice out of the freezer. Then several hours later the refrigerator temp started going up while the freezer kept getting colder. We called the dealer but they were unable to find anyone to come out and service it...we were 40 miles from the dealership.

So, we went out and bought a large ice chest and we emptied out the refrigerator and freezer. The next day, i noticed that even though the readout said the refrigerator was 58 deg it felt very cold. We turned the whole thing off and then turned it back on.

The readings went back to 0 for the freezer and 38 for the refrigerator. It stayed that way all day so I put everything back in the refrigerator from the ice chest and it stayed at those readings until we went home 5 days later. It is currently back at the dealers and we haven't heard yet what they have found was causing the problem.

I'm wishing I could get a different brand refrigerator and I'm losing confidence in the Frigidaire and don't want to be stuck with problems in the future.

Carol Beckman
2015 Bighorn 3570 RS

Last edited:

wdk450

Jim B:
Here is a different idea to pass on to the planners at Heartland. You know Heartland moved away from the central vacuum cleaner system in favor of including a Dyson portable vacuum cleaner. Well, how about moving away from an inside the refrigerator icemaker with all of the pressurized plumbing that can freeze/leak and takes 4 hours for a tray of ice, in favor of including one of the tabletop icemakers that makes a few "cubes" every 12 minutes? Mine sits on the floor near my entrance. These have a water reservoir that can be easily emptied or filled.

A quick update. We just picked up our Bighorn from the dealer today with yet another brand new refrigerator. Apparently there have been many units with refrigerator problems relating to the slam latches that were installed during assembly by Heartland. This refrigerator does not have the slam latches. Hope that the 3rd time is a charm for us.

I have a residential fridge in my 2014 Bighorn 3875. The fridge is fine, but it appears that it a bit on the heavy side. The woodwork on the bottom of the slide is falling apart. I have had 2 technicians from different repair facilities,look at it. They both say it is a manufacturing issue. The trailer is parked in an RV resort.and the slide has only been pushed in and out on 2 occasions.
I had the repair company send a report to Heartland,and apparently they will not cover this. My 1 year warranty runs out at the end of February 2015.
I have had lots of problems with this unit.Heartland have honoured most of them. Some I have fixed myself.
Is there such a things as an arbitrator I can go to or is there a lemon law for RV's.

Jim.Allison

I would call heartland myself if I were you. What Heartland told your repair facility is that they would not pay that facility, not that it was not covered under warranty. Call Heartland and see what they say directly to you. I bet money that they will tell you where to take it for repairs and cover it, unless you have done something to cause the problem.

Call them and have your vin number with you when you do, they are good people and friendly. They will listen to your concerns and I be they hit the ceiling when you tell them who told you that the failure was not a warranty issue.

I have a residential fridge in my 2014 Bighorn 3875. The fridge is fine, but it appears that it a bit on the heavy side. The woodwork on the bottom of the slide is falling apart. I have had 2 technicians from different repair facilities,look at it. They both say it is a manufacturing issue. The trailer is parked in an RV resort.and the slide has only been pushed in and out on 2 occasions.
I had the repair company send a report to Heartland,and apparently they will not cover this. My 1 year warranty runs out at the end of February 2015.
I have had lots of problems with this unit.Heartland have honoured most of them. Some I have fixed myself.
Is there such a things as an arbitrator I can go to or is there a lemon law for RV's.