PDA

View Full Version : Ram 3500 Factory Air Suspension

emm4273610re
11-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Has anyone see or heard about the new Ram 3500 factory rear air suspension for 2014? Dealer says late availability, didn't know if anyone heard anything different ?

alex00
11-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Has anyone see or heard about the new Ram 3500 factory rear air suspension for 2014? Dealer says late availability, didn't know if anyone heard anything different ?

Desert thumper posted this link in the thread about the fifth wheel prep package http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?&id=14487&mid=71. It looks like late first early second quarter of 2014 availability.

I'm waiting for this before I order too. There is still no word on price. My big fear is that it will be way more expensive than going with aftermarket bags. If that's the case I'll have waited for nothing since all the other options I want are available.

Sure would be nice to have the factory system with the softer unloaded ride though.

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk for campfires 4

hoefler
11-30-2013, 09:05 AM
This link indicates an April production date. http://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-chrysler.aspx

emm4273610re
11-30-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys. That looks helpful. I too hope it's worth the wait, might even let something else go if favor of the air suspension. I have aftermarket bags now and really like them.

rgwilliams69
11-30-2013, 09:58 AM
It's a mystery to me why all the major heavy duty trucks don't come with built in air ride and even engine tuners (for heavy tow, gas mileage, max torque, etc.) as at least an option. If they after-market guys can do it then it could be done as a standard/add-on. I'm a Ford guy and haven't heard if Ford will be doing anything like this anytime soon, but it would be at nice to at least have the option - although I agree with some comments on this thread that it would probably be more expensive than just putting them on yourself after purchase. Unfortunate.

porthole
11-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Ram has a couple of interesting versions of air coming out next year.
From a full air ride like the Kelderman to a hybrid like the firestone Tech R4 (which I have and DO NOT recommend).

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/2014-heavy-duty.html

Hoping Ford has this in mind for the new DRW coming in 2015

alex00
11-30-2013, 12:55 PM
This link indicates an April production date. http://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-chrysler.aspx

I wonder how far in advance of the build date they will allow orders. Hopefully if it truly is April we should get pricing and ordering info soon. Thanks for the link.

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk for campfires 4

emm4273610re
12-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Sent an e mail to the two people that are in one of those links, heard back from Nick @ Chrysler. He informed me that it will be available 2nd quarter, March / April. He said to keep in touch with my local dealer and to keep an eye on the Ram.com build your own web site. When it becomes available we should be able to select it. I hope this helps those of you waiting also. Kind of disappointing having to wait half of a year. Order in April 2 to 3 months to arrive in July just in time prior to the new 2015's come out in August / September.

mattpopp
12-01-2013, 10:31 AM
When I found out a few months back about the 5 link air bags for the 3500 Dodge. It really made me regret buying a Ford. After owning this Ford, Dodges, and GM pickups. I have realized that Dodge is who sets the standard for towing. Now they are setting the standard for comfort loaded and empty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

porthole
12-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Now they are setting the standard for comfort loaded and empty.

Only took them 50 years

Bob&Patty
12-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Now..now Duane, be nice. Now we will see if Dodge trucks out sell Ford and GM trucks. I just cant wrap my head around the fact that someone would want to push 38-39K#'s down the highway with a 1tn pickup truck. Just the fact that they now can have a payload of 30K is scary to me. Thats more than 53' Great Dane refer weighs empty. The new Dodge 3500 truck has to have a curb weight of over 8K and probably closer to 9K full of fuel, people and other stuff. Doing some rough math, a 5er trailer loaded up to 30K would have a pin weight close to....well lets say 6K at 20%. Dude, thats alot of pin weight. I hope the trans and brakes will hold up to those weights. I wonder what size tires and wheels Dodge is using? The truck would have to have giant brake rotors and 4-6 piston calipers to stop the beast. If the trailer brakes failed on a downhill drive....you would be in DOO-DOO up to you eyebrows. The pix in another thread with Chevy bent in half would be a fender bender in comparison. Personally I hope this works well for Dodge owners....but it ain't going to be me. IMHO, you are even pushing the limits of a MDT at close to 20 "TONS".

Still JMHO

porthole
12-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Now..now Duane, be nice.

I am Bob :rolleyes:

I worked at several Chrysler Plymouth Dodge dealerships in the late 70's, 80's to the mid 90's, most of them multi franchise.
At least during that time frame the Dodge trucks were a distant third in ride quality

driver311
12-05-2013, 06:06 PM
just traded trucks. got a new 2014 2500. have an appointment monday to get air ride installed at kelderman. the new truck has coils so install is simple. the coils ride so much better than the old leafs.

Westwind
12-05-2013, 06:35 PM
The problem is when you buy a truck you really don't know how much it's going to squat when you hitch up your FW. My short bed GM 2500 did real well and is level with my FW while someone I met with a new Ford 2500 had to add airbags and we had the same trailer. I just worry about one more thing to go wrong and these new trucks do not need another item, they have enough.
But I have a buddy with a Dodge 1 ton dually and he said sometimes the empty ride is quite stiff. I guess that's a 1 ton.

priorguy
12-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Surprisingly dealers have varying prices for aftermarket parts and labour. I had to add my EBC after the fact, truck was on the lot. Prices ranged from $190 to almost $700 from the 10 ford dealers within an of me. I wound up $10 less installed and taxed then the option was if I ordered the truck. Meaning I didn't finance it either. Maybe the factory airbag could be a dealer installed option. Like my factory EBC I'm sure it's integrated into the dash controls and displays unlike an aftermarket install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

emm4273610re
12-07-2013, 10:28 AM
From what I have read the spring pack is changed to a single leaf with the air bag, very similar to a heavy tractor. Making it hard and expensive for a dealer to install I would think. I was considering waiting for the factory for a couple of reasons, have a aftermarket system now and do like it, did not see a listing for 2014's yet either.

mattpopp
12-08-2013, 12:42 PM
The problem is when you buy a truck you really don't know how much it's going to squat when you hitch up your FW. My short bed GM 2500 did real well and is level with my FW while someone I met with a new Ford 2500 had to add airbags and we had the same trailer. I just worry about one more thing to go wrong and these new trucks do not need another item, they have enough.
But I have a buddy with a Dodge 1 ton dually and he said sometimes the empty ride is quite stiff. I guess that's a 1 ton.

Its not new technology and its quit simple. The airbag setup is proven with 100's of millions of miles to back it. Most every semi on the road has it under them. This in my opinion is the smartest move that any of the big three has produced since the first diesel was put in a light duty pickup.

wiredawgchief
12-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Thought I would add an observation...3500s are not 1 ton trucks anymore and haven't been for a long time. My former 1 ton 2002 3500 as rated to carry over 4Klbs in the bed, not 2K lbs (1 ton). My current 1.5 ton 4500 is rated to carry almost 7Klbs in the bed. My 3/4 ton 2003 2500 is rated to carry 2K in the bed. It is important to understand the real numbers as former name references to the truck series are way inaccurate nowadays.

Ron

alex00
12-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Thought I would add an observation...3500s are not 1 ton trucks anymore and haven't been for a long time. My former 1 ton 2002 3500 as rated to carry over 4Klbs in the bed, not 2K lbs (1 ton). My current 1.5 ton 4500 is rated to carry almost 7Klbs in the bed. My 3/4 ton 2003 2500 is rated to carry 2K in the bed. It is important to understand the real numbers as former name references to the truck series are way inaccurate nowadays.

Ron
The 3500 I just ordered is rated to carry 5500 pounds in the bed. I will hereby refer to it as a deuce and a half. :cool:

kkamshop
12-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Deuce and a half, I like it, just hope it is faster than the original Deuce and a half.

DesertThumper
12-10-2013, 12:59 AM
Here is another piece of information I received from Nick at Chrysler who is involved to some degree with the air suspension deployment for the 2014 Dually models. The air suspension can only be installed at the factory level due to various wiring harnesses for inter-connecting to the air suspension equipment including behind the dash work. So it will not be available for dealers to sell or install as an option. Nick said it would cost extensive time and labor and to be installed during each custom truck build order only.

GeoFish
01-28-2014, 08:06 AM
I am not claiming to be an expert, but I have heard storiesabout air bags failing.
If you have an aftermarket system you still have yourfactory springs.
This came out of the Ram 2014 brochure;

The engineeringemployed by Ram 3500
SRW and DRW models is specific to
the task: a single leaf spring replaces
the multi-leaf spring, with air springs
mounted on top of the axle; additional
links on each side of the rear axle allow
the air springs and leaf springs to work
in tandem for load carrying

So now you only have one leaf spring.
If an air bag fails it tow time.
I am ordering a new Ram 3500 this week and I do not want a systemthat could leave me stranded.

GeoFish

danemayer
01-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Hi GeoFish,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and thanks for contributing to the discussion.

dave10a
01-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Air bags is a great option and are not prone to failure. If the air spring does fail there is no safety risk because of built in safety stops. If there were a risk many 18 wheelers, buses and motor homes would be pulled of the road. I think GM and Ford will adopt air bags because they make sense and their time has come. This will turn out to be another example as to why competition is a good thing.

emm4273610re
01-28-2014, 01:29 PM
People didn't want power windows and locks 20 years ago either.....:rolleyes:

ramdually4100king
01-28-2014, 02:50 PM
People didn't want power windows and locks 20 years ago either.....:rolleyes:

Power windows will do you no good when you are upside down in an irrigation ditch (I will take roll up windows any day). Same with air suspension it will do you no good when you have a leak and are stopped on the side of the road while I blow buy you with leaf springs (though it is a rougher ride).

dave10a
01-29-2014, 10:10 AM
I could still drive my motor home if the air bags failed and I suspect the same will be true for small truck air springs installed by the mfg. BTY my TrialAir hitch allows me to pull the trailer without air pressure as well. I fail to see why people could possible be against something that is beneficial like air springs.

porthole
01-29-2014, 11:24 AM
My truck has the firestone kit which is very similar to the Dodge system. And from looking at the Dodge sites, it sure looks like Sanluis Rassani & firestone were involved in the development.

I can tell that with my truck, an air bag failure does not mean you have to be towed, But the ride does suck.

mattpopp
02-06-2014, 01:16 PM
I could find all kinds of things to worry about.

I am concerned that my air filled tires will begin to leak leading to a blowout causing me to veer across the road hitting a bus full of children. So for that reason I have switched to solid rubber tires. Now I am concerned that my headlights will fail me so I have added an additional 20 lights to my pickup.

It seems silly for the reasons given why the air bags are a bad idea. Look at the success that every semi has had. Now think how many you have seem parked with the chassis sitting on the axles because the bags failed??

This is the best deal from Dodge since a Diesel engine was first put in a pickup.

Ultraclassic
02-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Not sure what the deal is with Firestone air bags and why there is no mention of Air Lift air bags? We just installed Air Lift 5000 with the built in solid dampner and love them. Concerning air bag failure with Air Lift there really is not a concern if the bag fails the enternal solid dampner will remedy the problem. Until Firestone incorporates this in their air bag, (dampner) we will stick to Air Lift. As far as Ram 3500 trucks riding stiff when empty, yes they do its a 1ton for crying out loud. Honestly,I would be concerned a bit if a 1 ton suspension in any truck was a soft ride. Glad Ram is going to offer air bags at the factory. For the diy folks after market is another great option and they are not hard to install. When we ordered our air bags we also ordered the air compressor with the wireless control and air gauge, we sent that back to the factory, decided to use our portable compressor.

emm4273610re
02-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Heard from my local dealer that the factory rear air suspension is now available, cost is 1,600. for those who are waiting just thought I would pass on the news !! :)

porthole
02-27-2014, 08:48 PM
Heard from my local dealer that the factory rear air suspension is now available, cost is 1,600. for those who are waiting just thought I would pass on the news !! :)

That aftermarket version of that kit is around $2300. Good price on the option.

This page has been updated. Air suspension is slated for April 4th.

http://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-chrysler.aspx

Interesting reading on that link, a 3.0 Inline 4 and 3.0 V-6 diesels are listed

hoefler
02-28-2014, 07:09 AM

Which truck?? I had heard the 2500 could be ordered and possibly the 3500 SRW, but not the dually.

emm4273610re
02-28-2014, 07:14 AM
Sorry I forgot to mention it is for the 3500 Dually . The 2500 has been available for a short time now according to my dealer.

scottyb
02-28-2014, 08:40 AM
That aftermarket version of that kit is around $2300. Good price on the option.

This page has been updated. Air suspension is slated for April 4th.

http://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-chrysler.aspx

Interesting reading on that link, a 3.0 Inline 4 and 3.0 V-6 diesels are listed

That's interesting that the 3.0L V6 in the 1500 is not scheduled to begin production until 5/1. The salesmen are saying that they will be on the lots any day. Sounds like they meant any day in August.

driver311
02-28-2014, 09:43 AM
air ride to 2500 only for now . 4/1 for 3500
1600 for 2500

kelgerman 1400 and not controlled through the radio. i have it and it is great

loudounrv
03-30-2014, 11:59 PM
So does this mean after 4/1 you can order a 3500 with the air suspension? My dealer doesn't know anything about this option, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. We went through the options for a special order and they never asked me if I was interested in the air suspension.

If I'm understanding this thread correctly, it sounds like this would be a nice option to have for TV, right?

alex00
03-31-2014, 12:33 AM
So does this mean after 4/1 you can order a 3500 with the air suspension? My dealer doesn't know anything about this option, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can. We went through the options for a special order and they never asked me if I was interested in the air suspension.

If I'm understanding this thread correctly, it sounds like this would be a nice option to have for TV, right?

We are pretty close to the order point. They should be starting production in about a week. I understand it's going to be about a $1600 option. They use one leaf spring and rely on the air to carry all the load. It is supposed to be a very soft ride. Having put just over 1200 miles on my 14 3500 I am impressed with the ride. It is plenty soft. I got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger in December on an order. I'm sure the new suspension will be nice but I'm not sure about $1600 nice...

I added firestone airbags and an on board it compressor for half the cost of the factory option. I have a smidgen more functionality but unknown ride quality difference.

loudounrv
03-31-2014, 01:40 AM
We are pretty close to the order point. They should be starting production in about a week. I understand it's going to be about a $1600 option. They use one leaf spring and rely on the air to carry all the load. It is supposed to be a very soft ride. Having put just over 1200 miles on my 14 3500 I am impressed with the ride. It is plenty soft. I got tired of waiting and pulled the trigger in December on an order. I'm sure the new suspension will be nice but I'm not sure about $1600 nice...

I added firestone airbags and an on board it compressor for half the cost of the factory option. I have a smidgen more functionality but unknown ride quality difference.

Thanks for the additional info, Alex00. If the firestone product offers a little more functionality for less cost, are there any benefits that the factory option might offer to make it worthy of comparison? Or do you think I'd be better off with the firestone option? In the next few weeks I hope to place an order for 3500 DRW Diesel and I'm shopping for trailers in the same weight and size class as the Cyclone 4000. Congratulations on your purchases, by the way! If you're picking up your trailer this Sunday, I'm sure this weekend can't get here quick enough! Good luck!

alex00
03-31-2014, 11:40 AM
The way I see it, if the factory option was available, I probably would have done it. I really just didn't want to wait anymore. The added functionality is that I can use my on board air for air tools and filling tires. You can add on-board air for $350, or find a way to tap the air tank in the Ram OEM system for a few bucks. The big promise on the OEM air is the ride. Coming from my '05 3500 I expected a harsh ride in the '14 3500. That is not the case. The ride is still truck like, but very smooth. The advantage to the OEM system is that it will automatically air the bags to compensate for load. I don't know if there will be a user over ride to the height setting, though.

I don't know that the firestone system is an apples to apple comparison. $800 gets you all the parts (tank, compressor, bags, fittings, etc) but that was a self install. If you pay to have it done add $500. Now you are really close to the OEM price, with the addition of warranty. This is a long way of saying that I'd probably order the OEM air, and find a way to tap it for an air chuck. However, I have no complaints about the aftermarket system.

Thanks for the additional info, Alex00. If the firestone product offers a little more functionality for less cost, are there any benefits that the factory option might offer to make it worthy of comparison? Or do you think I'd be better off with the firestone option? In the next few weeks I hope to place an order for 3500 DRW Diesel and I'm shopping for trailers in the same weight and size class as the Cyclone 4000. Congratulations on your purchases, by the way! If you're picking up your trailer this Sunday, I'm sure this weekend can't get here quick enough! Good luck!

hoefler
04-01-2014, 06:43 AM
They had changed the production date to mid May the last time I checked. I just checked again today, they have removed the restriction all together. It looks like it should be available to order now.

gpshemi
04-01-2014, 11:55 AM
I can't find that information anywhere...

alex00
04-01-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm beginning to think the air suspension will be a 2015 option. They shut down production in July to retool the factory, so even if they started cranking them out today they get a three month run of air suspension.

hoefler
04-02-2014, 06:13 AM
http://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-chrysler.aspx This web site has all the Chrysler production/restriction info.

gpshemi
04-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Yes...but I don't see where any of that translates to air suspension being moved out or a production start date.

Speedy
04-02-2014, 06:30 AM
So is the OEM air ride system on all four corners or just the back like most after market systems? Any increase in GVWR?

gpshemi
04-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Just the back for now.

gpshemi
04-14-2014, 07:28 AM
http://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-chrysler.aspx This web site has all the Chrysler production/restriction info.

Now I see it. It wasn't listed when I was looking before. I'm holding off till mid May