Winter Heating Problem - Solved

Greengas

So, I've been reading all about ways to keep the underbelly of an RV heated during cold winter weather. I've read about folks who just use a space heater, others swear by an incandestent bulb. But for me, the propane heater has always been the best. The problem has always been, getting the tanks filled. These 40lb tanks are not light. Well, since we keep our rig at the Air Force Academy FAMCAMP for the 5 winter months (Nov - Mar) I finally bit the bullet and solved my problem. The photos below show our rig at its winter home, and on the side of the rig is the BIG propane tank we arranged for. I figure with using the rig on weekends, etc., for the next few months, I won't have to worry about running out of propane and the basement will stay warm using the propane heater, just as it was designed to (oh and the yeti package).

Winter Spot 1 (Copy).JPG
Winter Spot 2.jpg

pegmikef

So, I've been reading all about ways to keep the underbelly of an RV heated during cold winter weather. I've read about folks who just use a space heater, others swear by an incandestent bulb. But for me, the propane heater has always been the best. The problem has always been, getting the tanks filled. These 40lb tanks are not light. Well, since we keep our rig at the Air Force Academy FAMCAMP for the 5 winter months (Nov - Mar) I finally bit the bullet and solved my problem. The photos below show our rig at its winter home, and on the side of the rig is the BIG propane tank we arranged for. I figure with using the rig on weekends, etc., for the next few months, I won't have to worry about running out of propane and the basement will stay warm using the propane heater, just as it was designed to (oh and the yeti package).

View attachment 27673
View attachment 27674

Ronn, they let you stay at that FAM Camp for five months? I thought most of them had some kind of time limit, like the one at Goodfellow AFB, here is something like two weeks or maybe thirty days.

danemayer

Hi Ronn,

It's no doubt warmer there than in Breckenridge, but we went through about 10 gallons/week last January with thermostat at 72. If that's a 100 gallon tank, you might want to keep an eye on the level in the tank as the winter progresses.

Greengas

Ronn, they let you stay at that FAM Camp for five months? I thought most of them had some kind of time limit, like the one at Goodfellow AFB, here is something like two weeks or maybe thirty days.

Its a special winter rate. They have over 200 spaces and most don't get used over the winter. So, its only 35 per month to store the rig on a full hookup site and then 18 per day if you want to use it. This is our third winter here.

pegmikef

Its a special winter rate. They have over 200 spaces and most don't get used over the winter. So, its only 35 per month to store the rig on a full hookup site and then 18 per day if you want to use it. This is our third winter here.

That's a super deal. Thanks for the info.