Q's about 2014 Savannah with RV Surge Guard Protection option

MrRvGypsy

Look at a recent delivered 2014.5 Savannah with TRC RV Surge Guard Prtoection option installed according to build sheet. Neither saleman's nor dealer tech find unit to point it out nor was there any remote display unit to find in the rv's controls area. The Magnum inverter and Onan generator controls were found but the the surge protection display.
Does anyone know where the unit is installed and if the remote display is not standard can it be added.
Thank you in advance for all replies.
PS I think we found our retirement fifthwheel. Wife loves it and I was surprisingly very impressed with build quality.

danemayer

Hi MrRVGypsy,

The Landmark Full-timers Package includes a Surge Protector that's built into the transfer switch that comes with Generator Prep.
Full-Timer Package (Generator Prep Required)

• Tire Pressure Monitoring System
  • Complete Coach Surge Protector
  • 1¼" Accessory Receiver

jbeletti

There is no local or remote display with the TRC Automatic Transfer Switch with Surge Guard Protection.

MrRvGypsy

The salesman specifically showed me this website and said it had one of these http://trci.net/products/surge-guard/hardwires-portables/50a-hardwire-plus surge protection devices installed but he was not able to point it out.
I know what sales people will do, but I want technical details of the system Heartland uses, what are it's specs and how does it function. Maybe I'll have to call the factory. Hopefully they are prepared to provide details to a technical oriented type person as myself.

ON EDIT!

Thanks Jim for some of the details that it's part of the transfer switch assembly. After further research it is apparent that the salesman's info was not quite accurate.:confused:
It must be this unit from TRC which has basic power protection
http://trci.net/products/surge-guard/transfer-switches/50a-hardwires

Too bad it's not this unit as this unit has remote display capabilities and additional power protection functions.
http://trci.net/products/surge-guard/transfer-switches/50a-plus-hardwire-rvc

I will assume it must be located behind the battery box in the front compartment as I could see the generator AC connection box peeking out from behind the battery box.

GlenStMary

The transfer switch/surge protector is located behind the storage bay's back wall. On my unit there were four srews holding that wall panel in. We had our unit fail about two months after taking delivery of the coach. We found that the water pump had leaked a little water from a loose fitting and created a puddle on the floor where unfortunately the transfer switch/surge protector had been installed. That apparently was all it took to cause the unit to fail. When we had the new switch installed the mechanics put the new switch up on the shelf, far away from any water or anything that could damage the unit. You may want to look into moving your switch if necessary to avoid what we went through

Greengas

Don't confuse a transfer switch has a surge suppressor built into it with a full EMS. The EMS is the one that has all the bells and whistles and a remote display. Two very different items.