Generator won't run

cabells

I have a Onan 5500 generator in my 2010 3010 cyclone trailer. We have had no problems in the past, but this past camping trip over thanksgiving, my generator quit running. Tried priming it again, it ran for about 1 1/2 hours then quit, then it wouldn't start at all. We drained the bowl, no gas, pulled off fuel line and hit the prime button and gas flowed out. We pulled off carbarator, cleaned the float, ran carb cleaner through everything. Started it up it ran great for the rest of the day and evening. Started it up the next morning, ran for about an hour and quit again, now it will only run for a couple of minutes before dying. Anybody have any hints, suggestions, similar issues?

Brian

DesertThumper

It look like you got the fuel check good. Is it still pumping fuel? If it is, how about spark? If fuel is still an issue, check all fuel lines and blow it out. Check the jets, they may need to be blown out and clogged.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
How much gas is in the tank? I found that mine is very sensitive to level as there appears to not be a "sump" that the gas pools in. Depending on how the rig sits I may have gas to run several hours or not enough to get it started when it's low.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Same thing happened to mine. It was the gas cap. Decided to stop venting. The fuel pump would pull a vacuum that it could not over come. Usually took over an hour of running for the problem to occur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

cabells

Thank you everybody for the advice. The oil was full, had that problem once before, but took care of it. Mother fuel tank is over half full. A few months before I drained the tank, dropped it and had to fix the sender, the gas gauge was not registering anything. So I drained it, fixed it, and refueled it. I will check the spark plugs and the gas cap. Any other possible solutions please let me know. Thanks again.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Next time it dies go open that gas cap. If you hear a rush of air while opening it then you found the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD