Extra Light Over the Dinette

We noticed on a friend's BH that there wasn't a lot of light over the dinette when we were playing cards. The only light above the table is a 12 volt ceiling fixture. When our BH 3670 RL arrived the first mod we made was adding a 12 volt two bulb fixture (just like the rest of the lights in the ceiling) to the space under the cabinet that is over the dinette table. This light is much closer to the table surface. We easily tapped into the wires for the light on the ceiling and ran our wiring down the inside of the overhead cabinet to our new light. The two lights work independently of each other. You can use either one or both at the same time. There is now plenty of light for meals or table games.
This mod should be a part of all new Heartland RVs.

Netem

Great idea, I have always wondered why they don't put 12 volt lights in the slides.

fishn2dmax

Netem,
Did you mean to say 120 volt light fixtures in the slides? :)
On my Sundance and all the others I looked at there are 12 Volt lights in the slides. Above the couch are the recessed 12 Volt lights and above the dinette is the single fixture 12 volt light.

jpmorgan37

Talking about the recessed lights. I was buying the replacement bulbs at Walmart for about $4.00 each. I got on Ebay and bought 10 for $11.00 including shipping. FWIW.

pickuphunt

Light over Dinette

Did it. Lowered the existing 12v light over the dinette to expose the wiring and the hole in the ceiling. In our unit, the wiring is next to a wood support running towards the cabinets. I took a piece of stiff wire (cloths hanger was available) and gently pushed the wire in the ceiling cavity toward the outside wall to in sure there was room to run two wires over the cabinets. I then drilled a hole in the ceiling just inside the cabinet and 'even' with the existing whole in the ceiling. I then could see the wire I used to check the cavity in the ceiling. I took a length of electrical wire long enough to provide two wires back to the existing ceiling hole and enough to the back of the cabinet, down the back side and forward to a hole I drilled in the bottom of the cabinet ( you could use less wire if you routed the wire straight down to the bottom of the cabinet) Now use electrical tape to attach the new wires to the 'stiff' wire and pull the wire back through the ceiling and to the existing hole above the dinette.
I purchased a two bulb unit just like the ones in the ceiling our our unit. Connect the two new wires to the new light. Now, if you want to two lights,(existing ceiling and the one under the cabinet) to work separately you need to cut the wire ahead of the push button switch and connect a wire from the new light, the 'hot' wire from the ceiling and the wire to the push switch together. Connect the other wire from the new light to the white wires (ground). Re-install the existing ceiling light and the new light above the cabinet. WFM (Worked For Me)