Installing Onan Generator from Class A into a Heartland Big Country

We just sold our Class A Monaco and purchased our very first fifth wheel. It is a 2011 Big Country and we love it! It does not have a generator but is prepped for one apparently. We do boon dock alot so a generator is a must for us. We got our hands on a used Onan Marquis 7000 and wondered if you can install this in a Fifth wheel? If so, is it something we can do or we should have professionally done? Any advice or "how-to's" would be much appreciated!!! If we cannot use this one what generator(s) would you recommend?

Gary & Crystal
2011 Heartland Big Country 38'
2010 Chevy Silverado Duramax Crew
B&W Companion

Speedy

If I was to attempt this project the first thing I would do is beef up the generator compartment to handle the weight and vibration of that unit. I don't have a gen set in our BC but I have had lots of trouble keeping the front bulkhead attached to the generator box. It has pulled loose three times resulting in a sagging generator box. I have used larger screws as the old ones puller out, to new holes and new larger screws. What worked best for me was 1/4" rivets and removing the heavier from the generator box.

danemayer

Hi MalibuGary,

There are several considerations:

1. Fuel type: if the generator runs on propane, you can share the existing propane supply with the generator. If diesel or gasoline, there's no fuel cell and no likely location to add one.
  2. Generator Prep Option: if the Big Country came with the Gen Prep option, some of the hard work is done. The generator prep option includes some of the "plumbing and wiring" to support the Onan 5500. One major item is the automatic transfer switch that switches between shore power input and generator input so you only have one power source in use at a time and you don't backfeed power into the pedestal.

If you're not sure whether your BC has this option, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They should be able to tell you how the coach was equipped.
  3. Size of the generator: the Onan 5500 barely fits and it a tough install. If the 7000 is physically larger, it may not fit at all.
  4. Difficulty of install: would be very tough for most of us to do this install. If you've done stuff like this and have the right tools, maybe you'll be ok. Give serious thought to having an Onan service location do the install.

HornedToad

I installed an Onan 5500 into a toy hauler with the prep package and it was fairly easy, I did have help from some friends that had mechanical experience.

A check of the specs on the Onan site @

http://power.cummins.com/onanpowerW...inkName=RV Generator Set Specification Sheets

list the 7000 as 11 lbs heavier and the same dimensions as the 5500 model, so it should fit. I think the real issue is your trailer is probably 50AMP (a 30A house circuit and a 20A circuit dedicated to the AC) which matches up to the breakers on the 5500. The 7000 model is two 30A circuits and for that reason I would consult a qualified technician. Lower to higher should be OK... like plugging a two prong 15A cord into a 3 prong 20A socket, but you better check with an electrician that knows for sure!!!

PS The hardest part of the install was getting it into the generator box. I had to unscrew one side of the bottom of the box and pull it aside and then slide the generator into the box off the tailgate of a pickup using a 3X4 sheet of plywood as a ramp. Then you'll be able to beef up the fasteners as previously suggested.

Northern Virginia
I'm a little late to this thread but I 'fitted' a commercial onan 6500 into our Landmark. I did have to modify the mounting base and make provisions for using 6 gallon marine gas tanks using hydraulic quick connects.

The two biggest things I learned from my install are: 1) The generator is very heavy and awkward to install. You will need some strong help or access to either a forklift or tractor with a fork attachment. You'll also need some rigging to get it into the compartment. 2) If it is gasoline, you want to make sure you have a quick connect hose that will attach to the marine tank outside of the camper. As gas tanks vent to the atmosphere, you have to be sure the tanks are safely vented.

PM me for more info or pics.

John