re: cold weather camping

rustyone

re: cold weather camping

I know there has been questions asked about camping in cold weather. Well we just put our 2008 3055RL through a pretty good test. On our way to Florida from upper Michigan, we stop in northern Ohio to spend x-mas. While we were here the temps. were in the low 20's with a wind blowing a steady 40MPH with gusts over 60MPH. I can say that the horn was a rockin, but were comfortable inside. With the digital thermostat set at 68 degrees and a small cube heater and the fireplace set to it highest setting we were very comfortable. The furnace would cycle on for 10 minutes and off for 21 minutes. I think this was outstanding considering the conditions. Today it is about 29 degrees and the cube heater and fireplace are just about providing the majority of the heat. As you know wind is the enemy of any RV with slides. Even though the entertainment slide was actually moving on those high gusts, the weatherstrip did what it was designed to do and as I ran my hand around it it was not allowing excessive amounts of cold air in.

I impressed None !!!!!!

Rustyone

Princess Kathleen

We were in Champaign IL with the same winds but temps at 23 and chill at 3...we had to pull in the slides...our problem was frozen water...could not get water from the fresh tank to the pump...we do have heat strips...yep the south louisiana girl was warm and cozy inside, but dirty

pk

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Princess Kathleen said:
We were in Champaign IL with the same winds but temps at 23 and chill at 3...we had to pull in the slides...our problem was frozen water...could not get water from the fresh tank to the pump...we do have heat strips...yep the south louisiana girl was warm and cozy inside, but dirty

pk

We had the same problem last spring in WI early April. Temps in the teens, line between tank and pump must have had a tight spot that froze up. We were using a 5 Gal. bucket in the basement pumping water with the winterizing hose off the pump and a cube heater on low in the basement. Did this for almost a week:eek:.

nhunter

Why on earth would anyone WANT to experience snow. As we were outside at work the other day talking with a boilerhand from Australia wondering what made him move to Canada to work in the cold.

GaryB

I'm considering to buy the same 3055RL unit. Do you have the dual pane windows? If so, do you think they made a big difference in those conditions?

rustyone said:
I know there has been questions asked about camping in cold weather. Well we just put our 2008 3055RL through a pretty good test. On our way to Florida from upper Michigan, we stop in northern Ohio to spend x-mas. While we were here the temps. were in the low 20's with a wind blowing a steady 40MPH with gusts over 60MPH. I can say that the horn was a rockin, but were comfortable inside. With the digital thermostat set at 68 degrees and a small cube heater and the fireplace set to it highest setting we were very comfortable. The furnace would cycle on for 10 minutes and off for 21 minutes. I think this was outstanding considering the conditions. Today it is about 29 degrees and the cube heater and fireplace are just about providing the majority of the heat. As you know wind is the enemy of any RV with slides. Even though the entertainment slide was actually moving on those high gusts, the weatherstrip did what it was designed to do and as I ran my hand around it it was not allowing excessive amounts of cold air in.

I impressed None !!!!!!

Rustyone

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Haven't been in temps that cold yet...down to mid thirties, however, have noticed a major difference with dual pane windows. Much less cold/heat transfer thru windows, and very noticable improvement in sound dampening from the outside. Not sorry at all we added the upgrade!

ChopperBill

Looking outside at another SNOW storm! Getting out of here Sat. morning. Thank gawd the trailer is already parked in AZ! All we have to worry about is pulling the Polaris RZR down there. JP, 27 degrees? Put those wheels to work! Wheels, the best winterizer you can have!

Princess Kathleen

In reply to why I wanted to experience snow...it is because in south Louisiana we would just get a dusting about every 10 years. I wanted to see the real stuff falling, piled up, build a real snow person, and just look at the beauty of snow.....well in Nauvoo IL I experienced all....I still think it is cool.

PK

jpmorgan37

Bill;
Three cups of coffee and it's already up to 50. Supposed to hit 57 today, so I can live with that. Besides, the sun is shining and I don't have much to do today. Probably finish hooking up my EGT gauge.
John

I agree, I am very impressed with the insulation on the Bighorns.

We picked up our new 3400RL on Dec. 8th in Richmond IN. I stayed in the BH one night on the dealers lot to check it out and get a good nights sleep, before heading out for its new home in Arkansas.

The temperature got down to 4 degrees F that night. I left the fireplace on high and set the thermostat for the furnance to 70 degrees. I was really suprised how comfortable it was in the BH. I don't think I will be using the BH very much in the middle of the winter but it is nice to know that Heartland did a fine job of engineering these units to keep the cold out.

Jeff:)

J

Jim_1899

Camping in January in Missouri

I am waiting for my wife to finish packing some of her clothes, we just loaded up the truck with the food and will go to our Bighorn tonight to get it ready to leave tommorrow for Joplin Missouri to stay for a few nights. We are going to stay at the Red Barn Camp Ground. They have full hookups year round with Wifi and cable.

This last year I have not been able to take off for a full week but I will hopefully be ready to take off for three full weeks for our 30th anniversy in 2009.

Its been a while since I have logged on to the forum hope everyone is doing well I enjoy reading the comments and get to enjoy the experiences that you all have and learning from all the knowledge here.

Here is a link to our annual Christmas hike http://picasaweb.google.com/JimLeachJr

Happy 2008!

Jim & Crystal

jpmorgan37

Jim;

It's good to hear from you again and hope that this coming year is a great one for you. Enjoy Joplin.

John

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
PK
you could come to Vancover BC and we could give you, for free several 1000 gals of self shoveling snow (rain water). Just come on up. anytime (except July and August) Really anytime..... even we could ship you some if you pay the frieght...

rustyone

To answer the question about the thermo windows, I don't have them. We did all right in some pretty tough conditions with the standard issue windows. We did keep the night shade all the way down and I think this helped. When I did look out the windows they swere fairly dry. My other camper water would just run off the windows in cold weather.

As far as snow, the Horn is a smillin now!!!!! It was 85 deg, I in my shorts and sandles thing about poping the top on a cold one....what a difference a couple of days will make.

Like they say...........life is good!!!!!!

Rusyone

happyrover

Slides In

PK or others with Landmarks,
How do you pull the slides in and get around in the Landmark? With our slides in we can't get to the kitchen or living room areas. Just wondering what the secret is!
Mel & Nina (HappyRovers)

jpmorgan37

Mel & Nina

With our slides in, we can get into the refrigerator and bathroom. Because of the L in our kitchen, we are restricted from anything else. I will usually open the kitchen slide if we need access, but usually we have "lunch" already made up, so we open the 'fridge and get it and go eat at a picnic table or where ever.

John

seamo

Bob and Christina Seaman
Mel and Nina--How are you? We can't get into our living room yet we can reach on refrig, bathroom and bed. One day we slept in "Freedom' and didn't open our slides and I made coffee by crawling over our dining table. only wish I was younger.....