FX 23 Generator suggestions?

I bought a 2014 North Trail FX23 and have been researching generators that will meet our needs. I am estimating that we would put approximately 200 hours per year on it. Air conditioner will be used minimally. I am sure it will get use though. I am thinking we would have adequate power with a 4000 watt set up. I am wondering if there are any alternatives to a Honda or Yamaha as far as noise level and reliability. I don't think that 200 hours of operation per year would be a lot for the Honda or Yamaha, but can't seem to find any long term testing of other (cheaper/similar) generators. In particular, i would be interested to know if anyone is using a Kipor or similiar and how it is working for them.

GOTTOYS

I bought a 2014 North Trail FX23 and have been researching generators that will meet our needs. I am estimating that we would put approximately 200 hours per year on it. Air conditioner will be used minimally. I am sure it will get use though. I am thinking we would have adequate power with a 4000 watt set up. I am wondering if there are any alternatives to a Honda or Yamaha as far as noise level and reliability. I don't think that 200 hours of operation per year would be a lot for the Honda or Yamaha, but can't seem to find any long term testing of other (cheaper/similar) generators. In particular, i would be interested to know if anyone is using a Kipor or similiar and how it is working for them.
From everything I've seen....you will get what you pay for. I had a Honda 2,000 for 2 years. decided to part with it because I only used it a couple times and that was around my yard. I sold it for what I paid for it. Every year they usually have a deal for $50.00 off and if you buy it online there are places that don't charge shipping and no sales tax, at least for now. If you don't like it you won't lose any money on it. A single 4,000 watt is probably more than you need and they're pretty heavy to lug around. A pair of 2,000s or a single 3,000 will give you all you will need for power. JMHO..

B.O.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I use a Honda 2000 in the past and presently looking to sell it. Limited use and in great condition. If interested I can send pics, PM me. I also recommend the Honda, a 4000 unit is over kill.

HornedToad

One of my camping buddies has a Dometic 3000 watt generator. It's comparable to the Honda's at about 1/2 the cost.

jnbhobe

Nothing I've seen but Yamaha compares to a Honda, I use a 3K Honda and it will run 24/7 and not be loud enough to be heard. But you get what you pay for, we all know that.

porthole

Retired
Nothing I've seen but Yamaha compares to a Honda, I use a 3K Honda and it will run 24/7 and not be loud enough to be heard. But you get what you pay for, we all know that.

I'll second that.

Although pricey, the Honda 3000is will do what you want, efficiently and quietly.

But, any of the newer inverter style generators will do the same.

A regular contractor style generator will be noisy and will get on your nerves after awhile.
Especially when you are running a Honda or Yammy and your neighbor has a unit that sounds like a 7.3 Ford.

For Hurricane Sandy my Honda 3000 supplied just about everything we needed at our house (except for heat ........) and TV, lights, fridge and freezer across the street for our neighbors, with minimal issues.

It ran for 328 hours straight, stopping only to check the oil in the mornings (used none for the 14 days)
It burned on average under 5 gallons a day, running non stop in the eco mode

FYI, the Honda weighs about 130 pounds before gas and oil.

Grey Ghost

I have two 2000 watt inverter generators from Champion and they work well together or separate. I usually use just one but when I need air I combine them. Work well and one third the price of a honda!:cool:

GOTTOYS

Re: the increase from 58db to 68db. Each 3 db represents a change of 2x. 58 to 68db = 10x louder. Decibels are a logarithmic representation of power. A 10 db increase ie: 58 to 68 will equal being twice as loud to the human ear...For what it's worth most National Park Service campgrounds have a maximum noise limit of 60 db from 50 feet. Yes, some of them do come around and measure noise output..Don

porthole

Retired
Before I got my 3000is I had the opportunity to try a few different gennys. Including Honda 1K and 2K's, we use them in the marine business.
Something else to consider.

The Honda 2k would run the AC on our TT, worked hard, but ran.
The 2K's, whether single or in tandem are louder for a given load then the 3K
2K's have a less then 1 gallon tank, 3K has a 3.4 gallon.

2K is 46 pounds
3K is 130 pounds

Convenience wise, the two 2K's would be easier to move around, overall weight though will be about the same once you add the parallel kit. That may be a concern to some.

The fuel issue can be made much easier with something like this kit, which will work with several different brands of the suitcase genny's
http://www.wisesales.com/bergs-dual-feed-extended-run-tank-for-honda.html

I didn't take notes, but IIRC the 3K in eco mode used less fuel then the two 2K's in eco.

Whatever genny you get, fuel supply becomes an issue if you don't want to be running out every day to get fuel.

Although the Cyclone has a 25 gallon on board tank I also use this portable tank to get fuel once we are setup.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/scepter-duramax-flo-n-go-14-gal-cap?cm_vc=-10005.
The pump leaves a little to be desired (hand pump) so I use a seperate hose and just gravity feed into the cyclone tank, leaving the tank in the bed of the truck.

2 of the Champions and parallel kit, fuel tank is about $1500
2 Honda's and the parallel kit are about $2400
1 Honda 3K is about $2000

My disclaimer is that I got my Honda 3K for reasons other then camping and there were no other similar option available at the time (parallel kits or other brands)

Phatkd

I have owned a Honda 1k, Honda 2k, Powerhouse 3100 and 2x Yamaha 2400is. My favourite so far has been the Yamaha 2400 series. they weigh in at about 60lbs or so I think?? It had enough power to run absolutely everything in my last camper with ease and very quiet and fuel efficient. I have done hours upon hours of research, and have owned the models above and ran them for long periods of time. I would stay away from the powerhouse. Although economical, they just lack the quality that I like. However you may be different.

If you are going to use a genny for your TT for the purposes that you have described, I would like to spend your money for you and get the all new Yamaha 2400is/hc

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/outdoor/products/modelhome/475/0/home.aspx

Phil Smith

Retired South Carolina Chapter Leader
I have owned a Honda 1k, Honda 2k, Powerhouse 3100 and 2x Yamaha 2400is. My favourite so far has been the Yamaha 2400 series. they weigh in at about 60lbs or so I think?? It had enough power to run absolutely everything in my last camper with ease and very quiet and fuel efficient. I have done hours upon hours of research, and have owned the models above and ran them for long periods of time. I would stay away from the powerhouse. Although economical, they just lack the quality that I like. However you may be different.

If you are going to use a genny for your TT for the purposes that you have described, I would like to spend your money for you and get the all new Yamaha 2400is/hc

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/outdoor/products/modelhome/475/0/home.aspx

I have the Yamaha 2400is/hc. I love the little generator but it will not run my 15,000btu A/C unit. I read reviews about it before purchasing it and it will run the 13,000 btu A/C units. I've been told to try starting the A/C unit fans first then turn on the compressor but will have to wait until spring to see if this works.

Phatkd

I have the Yamaha 2400is/hc. I love the little generator but it will not run my 15,000btu A/C unit. I read reviews about it before purchasing it and it will run the 13,000 btu A/C units. I've been told to try starting the A/C unit fans first then turn on the compressor but will have to wait until spring to see if this works.

Thanks for mentioning that. I forgot. It won't run my AC on my Bighorn, but everything and anything else on my BH it will.

I ran my 13,500 BTU AC on my last camper no problem at all, and even a TV and a couple of other small items when the AC was running. But I did have to start the AC and let the fan reach full speed before turning other items on if I recall.

I absolutely love my new 2400, but am considering the new Honda 3000 pull start which weighs just a little more than the Yammy 2400.

http://powerequipment.honda.ca/generators/inverter-series/eu3000ikc