chunk out of tread knob

Ladiver

OK, I know I need to post a pic and I will tomorrow. I was having difficulties airing up one of my tires. As I pushed in on the valve stem, I noticed it was leaking. I figured it was probably a bad valve stem and I would take it in to be replaced. After I removed the tire, I noticed about half of one of the knobs of tread had been sheered off. The knob is pretty much in the middle of the tire and there is no other apparent damage.

Is the knob sheer normal? Is it safe to drive on? What could cause a knob to sheer off? Could that have been the same cause of the leaking valve stem?

Thanks,

Jeff

kowAlski631

What brand of tire?

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If they are TOWMAX tires, bite the bullet, replace them with higher quality tire immediately.

kowAlski631

Amen. That was my next reply. Don't just replace that one, do them all. You won't regret it.

Paul & Martha

kowAlski631

My goodness. If they're still under warranty, I'd contact the source of purchase.

Paul & Martha

Ladiver

I will definitely be calling them this morning. We are leaving for San Diego today, so thankfully I have a spare, just in case. These tires are only a few months old and have about 500-700 miles on them.
IMAG0392.jpg IMAG0393.jpg

brianharrison

To me it looks like a cut from something you may have run over while turning a corner or backing into parking spot while the tires were scrubbing sideways.

It looks like less than half the tread depth, therefore I would be comfortable continuing to drive on this tire - I do not think it has compromised the tire's integrity.

My thoughts, but it does not hurt to check with the tire warranty.�

Brian

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Possible you hit some kind of road debris that sheared that chunk off. Looks like some kind of mark above and to the right of it, as well. If your spare is also a new G614, put it on and take the damaged tire to your tire dealer for examination. Not saying the tire didn't have a defect to start with, but with all the crap on the roads, who knows? I've dodged flying 4-way lug wrenches, extension ladders sliding down the freeway, and all kinds of other junk.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jeff,
I had this happen on my factory Sailun G rated tires in several spots. Tread chunks torn out about half way down.
I took it to a reputable tire shop and the owner said it was most likely from sharp turns scrubbing on a rough surface, or gravel.
He stated that since it was only down about half of the tread depth is was not an urgent matter. (He didn't try to sell me tires)
He also said they see semi trailer tires with chunks missing that are driven another 50K miles with no problems. I ran those tires another 10K miles with no issues.
I have since changed them out to G614's. I wouldn't panic about it, just change it when you have a chance. Trace

olcoon

but with all the crap on the roads, who knows? I've dodged flying 4-way lug wrenches, extension ladders sliding down the freeway, and all kinds of other junk.

Don't want to de-rail your thread, but I've just got to insert this. Years ago I was at the local Western Auto getting some truck parts & their tire guy came into the store with the latest trophy he'd gotten out of a flat tire. It was a plumb bob that had gone into the tire from the blunt end! From the looks of the sharp end, it had been in the tire for a lot of miles, as it was rounded off, as if someone had taken a grinder to it. To top things off vehicle owner said he'd had a slow leak for a while & had just decided to get it taken care of!!!

jimtoo

Don't want to de-rail your thread, but I've just got to insert this. Years ago I was at the local Western Auto getting some truck parts & their tire guy came into the store with the latest trophy he'd gotten out of a flat tire. It was a plumb bob that had gone into the tire from the blunt end! From the looks of the sharp end, it had been in the tire for a lot of miles, as it was rounded off, as if someone had taken a grinder to it. To top things off vehicle owner said he'd had a slow leak for a while & had just decided to get it taken care of!!!

Well,,,,, I expect to see you at George West Storyfest, the Storytelling Capital of Texas next year! :):cool: You will be a winner... don't know what, but you will win something. :)

Jim M

olcoon

I'd settle for a corn dog!!! I'm sure you saw this on Facebook, but in case you didn't….
While deer hunting this year I was in my tree stand chewing bubble gum. When it lost it's flavor & started getting stiff, I spit it out. Sometime later a deer came ditty bopping down the trail & stopped at the gum sniffing it. Then it picked it up in it's lips chewed it a couple of times, & continued down the trail chewing my ABC gum (Already Been Chewed)!!! Now the question is….can a deer blow a bubble? Later I got to pondering on that, dilemma, and another question came up…if the deer swallowed the gum, and the gum made it to the end of it's digestive tract, and the deer passed gas, could it blow a bubble then? Inquiring minds just gotta know!!!

jimtoo

I'd settle for a corn dog!!! I'm sure you saw this on Facebook, but in case you didn't….
While deer hunting this year I was in my tree stand chewing bubble gum. When it lost it's flavor & started getting stiff, I spit it out. Sometime later a deer came ditty bopping down the trail & stopped at the gum sniffing it. Then it picked it up in it's lips chewed it a couple of times, & continued down the trail chewing my ABC gum (Already Been Chewed)!!! Now the question is….can a deer blow a bubble? Later I got to pondering on that, dilemma, and another question came up…if the deer swallowed the gum, and the gum made it to the end of it's digestive tract, and the deer passed gas, could it blow a bubble then? Inquiring minds just gotta know!!!

All you had to do was walk behind it for a little while,, then your question would have been answered. :)

whp4262

Ladiver, I've had chunks like that cut on my tires before, usually from a sharp rock etc. if it doesn't cut into the belt area it usually doesn't cause any problems. This was a common problem on the tag axle tires on my class A. Probably because they would skid in tight turns and I often went to unpaved camp grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wdk450

Over the past 15 years or so, I have always opted for the "road hazard" replacement insurance when buying tires. One time I bought a set of 4 tires for my old Dodge bubble top van from Montgomery Ward's auto center. When I had a road hazard problem, I went to them with the paperwork for a replacement. At that time they no longer had that size tire in stock. They refunded me the price of ALL 4 TIRES that I had bought, although only one of them was bad. No wonder Montgomery Ward went out of business!!

ParkIt

All you had to do was walk behind it for a little while,, then your question would have been answered. :)

Roy, you need a hobby or something.

Peace
Dave

Well timed interlude there guys, though I will tell my deer hunter friends in your neck of the woods to not be alarmed if they have a deer running around blowing bubbles with gum ;)

Over the past 15 years or so, I have always opted for the "road hazard" replacement insurance when buying tires. One time I bought a set of 4 tires for my old Dodge bubble top van from Montgomery Ward's auto center. When I had a road hazard problem, I went to them with the paperwork for a replacement. At that time they no longer had that size tire in stock. They refunded me the price of ALL 4 TIRES that I had bought, although only one of them was bad. No wonder Montgomery Ward went out of business!!
That has always been a standard with me for decades, some batches hold up and some don't. There was an incident with a 1½" long wood screw stuck in one of the tag axle tires for years...since it didn't leak I just left it that way until it was time to get new tread after another 30,000K miles or so. No one asked any questions and they replaced the tag tires for free.

As far as tires go on the 5th wheels it baffles me on which tires are holding up and which aren't. When I see posts about tire failures before 7k miles and someone responds "that's normal" it kinda makes my head spin since tires I put on anything get at least 30k minimum before they show any wear or issues, the same seems to be the case with this unit as well. They have about 6500 miles on them and don't look much worse for the wear at all. That being said, the chunk out of the tire can be a rock that hit the tread just right in the exact conditions that rarely happen all at once. If you have warranty replacement then go for it, otherwise I wouldn't stress on it much until its time to start thinking about new tires all the way round.