Tire Chains?

HornedToad

Woke up to roads covered in an inch of ice and I've gotta get the wife to the office, it's payday for the sub's. I haven't used my tire chains in over ten years and I need a reminder from the folks up north, with a 4X4... Is the best set up one chain on the right rear and the other on the left front???

rod_s

I work in the natural gas industry in Pennsylvania which requires chains often. I prefer to run chains on both front tires in 4 wheel drive. Make sure you keep the chains tight as they can and will cut brake lines if they come off. Also avoid hard stops as the back of the truck will pass the front quickly. Good luck.

HornedToad

Both on the front it is.

I hope they fit... if I remember the late 90's F150 I brought them for had 17' tires like the dually.
At least I get to put'em on at home with a floor jack instead of on the side of the road.

THANKS for the advice!!!

rod_s

The floor jack is a definite advantage. I'm usually in a mud hole or a snow bank somewhere putting on the iron. In the early days it would take 45 minutes to put a set on. I've got it down to 12-15 minutes. Amazing what experience does.

HornedToad

With 4WD and Helen freakin out if I went over 20MPH, I probably could have made it without the chains. I should have put them on that white Honda that slammed on his brakes at the stop sign and almost slid into me!!!

I'm heading home to hibernate until the sun comes out, I think that's supposed to be by Monday.
You guy's up north can keep this clear/white stuff, please quit sending down our way.

Phatkd

On my GMC 2500HD, the passenger side rear tire does the pushing (If you don't have posi) and the front drivers side does the pulling. If I find the conditions harsh enough for chains (Which are very rare) I put them on all 4 and "X" strap them with a winch tie down on the exterior of the tire face.

I haven't needed to put them on in several years though,..and we get some pretty nasty weather up here.

Glad to hear you made it home okay. It's always fun to watch people after the first big snowfall, or after freezing rain..lol

jnbhobe

If I had to go any distance I would put them on the rear. I used to put them on the front of my off road plow truck, but I haven't used them in years, now days I run summer tires in the summer and studded snow tires on all four wheels in the winter. That's the latest from Lake Effect Snow Country on the shores of Lake ERIE!!

PUG

Pug
Read your manual. Seems to me mine says to put on front only for some reason. I just go with four wheel and take my time.

Birchwood

If you have 2 sets of chains put them on the rear and the rear will steer the vehicle.I have used chains often in our field operations with the feds in Canada.The rear drive train on all vehicles is stronger than the front(transfer case).If it was my own personal vehicle I would never install chains on the front 4 wheel drive system.If the 4 wheel drive is off and chains would be required for steering then that's fine.

whp4262

I haven't used chains since I had one break and tear up my fender several years ago. Even when I lived in Colorado and Minnesota I got by with 4WD and no chains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk