Option Questions on 2008 Big Horn

GaryB

Hi All:

I'm considering a 2008 Big Horn 3055RL and have a few questions about options:

1) Trail Air Pin Box: is this air-operated (as the brand name would suggest), or is it like the MohrRyde pinbox which doesn't use air and is virtually maintenace free? Is it an "extended" style?

2) Dual Pane Windows: are all windows dual pane? Can I still open all the same windows as with single-panes (incl. bedroom slide windows)? Do the dual panes have the same tint/UV inhibitor coating?

3) Ultra Leather Recliners (NOT euro chairs) - does anybody have these? Are they plush and comfortable like a LazyBoy? Is it difficult to close the slide with them in the rear?

4) Has anybody seen a heat pump option for a BigHorn?

5) High Gloss Gelcoat - I would REALLY like to ignore this option and save the $1500-$2000. Heck, I'll probably only wash my trailer 1-2 times/year anyway. Also, won't the plastic exterior parts yellow anyway? I'm not looking to win any prize for the shiniest RV; we'll just be part-time weekend campers and will be keeping it in covered storage the rest of the time. Am I nuts to avoid this option?

6) Is the convection microwave vented to the outside? If not, is this a problem? Is it large enough to cook a decent size dinner?

7) Is the "Tent in Vent" fix for A/C ducting still required on new units? Or was this due to some production issue that has since been resolved?

Thank you for the advice, and Happy upcoming New Years!
Gary

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I'll try and answer some of your questions:

1 - The Trailair IS air operated...has an airbag based on the amount of pin weight your unit has. The difference is the Moryde will help eliminate the "chucking" that some units encounter, the Trailair helps more with the bounce and the shock that is transferred to your unit, especially if you are towing with a MDT...lesson hard learned for us.

2 - Yes all windows are dual paned, when you take that option, and yes you can still open all windows as normal. Our dual panes have a very nice, dark tint and are UV inhibiting.

3 - Don't know about the chairs...we kept the original recliners (not Euros), and we really like them, very comfortable. If the leather ones are the same size as ours they fit just fine in the rear of the coach during transit.

4 - I have not seen a heat pump option for the Bighorn...but I might be wrong...someone else can chime in on this one.

5 - We really like the high-gloss gelcoat. We like the look of it better than the regular Filon siding...don't think it's something that is necessary to enjoy your coach...If you want to save the money, that would be one place to do it, I suppose.

6 - The convection/microwave is not vented outside, however, it has not been a problem and I use quite extensively. I really like the half-time option, and it will cook a very large meal very quickly, just like out of the regular oven with less heat.

7 - We have not experienced any problems with the distribution of the A/C, seems to work very well. However, I must add that we have the second air in the bedroom, and on really hot nights we do use that to compensate for the fact that heat will rise and make the bedroom warmer than the rest of the coach.

Hope this helps in your decision. Even though we've had some problems, some small and one very large one, we couldn't be happier with our Bighorn and with Heartland. Good Luck!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Well Gary guess I'll attempt some of the questions.

TrailAir pin box: contains air cushion that must be filled with air and the length of box is not extended if so not much longer than the regular one. Pleased with the function of mine.

Dual pane windows: opens the same as regular and tinted. Would buy again, helps with heat ,cold and road noise.

Gel Coat: Easier to keep looking good and should help against UV and such. The only plastic turning yellow on mine is the stove vent and going to paint with Krylon plastic paint. Will bet you wash more than you think... such a beautiful trailer that you will want to show off and be proud of.;)

Tent in the vent: my air venting was really good and probably not totally needed on ours. TimK's design is so simple tryed it anyway and was surprised how much airflow it did improve. Way to go Tim! Need some comments from the '08 owners on there systems........Ken

GaryB

Thanks for the Replies Thus Far.

Thanks for the Replies Thus Far! I'm also curious to hear if anybody has any knowledge of the "ultra leather recliner" upgrade (not euro chairs).

Gary

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
I haven't had leather chairs in a fifth wheel but I have had in homes,,, and some ultra leather stuff,,, its Hot in the summer and you can enjoy the sticking sensation when you wear shorts (or a skirt) and it is cold in the winter. Of course, this can be remedied in any season by putting a throw over them but that seems to kind of defeat the purpose?

ChopperBill

We have the leather Euro chairs in the trailer and they look real luxurious. Wife talked me into leather furniture in the stick home. Look real luxurious. Don't care what anyone says I HATE LEATHER!!. Cold and uncomfortable in the winter. I park my butt in 'em and get it nice and warm. Get up and fetch a beer and come back to an ice cube! Feel like **** in the summer. I cant see the infatuation with leather and never will! And some one tell me why it is more money for leather. There has to be a gazillion cows slaughtered every day and leather should be cheaper than dirt! Have cloth in the truck and if feels like heaven. Never will let anyone talk me into leather in a truck! Hey, did I tell you I HATE LEATHER?

jimtoo

Uhhhh... retired4fun, could you give me your opinion of leather chairs, I know you have one, somewhere.:D

jpmorgan37

I had two of the Ultra Leather recliners. They are extremely comfortable. That's the good. They are extremely heavy and hard to move. That's the bad. We ended up selling one and keeping one. I built a small desk and put it in the place where the missing one sat. This works well for us.

John

ct0218

Like John, we got rid of ours by donating them to the Salvation Army (tax deduction) and bought 2 LaZBoy fabric chairs which we like much better. I didn't have the problem with leather like CB did in the winter, but in the summer in hot and humid FL they were uncomfortable. I do miss the swivel that we had, but I do not miss trying to move those monsters around.

GaryB

I would really prefer just to replace the rear recliners with an aftermarket sofa (long story, but we have a small dog that likes to lie beside me all the time, but she would end up sitting on top of me if on a recliner :rolleyes: )

Anyway, is there enough depth in a rear living ("RL") model to put a aftermarket sofa and still be able to close the slideout? In other words, what is the dimension from the slideout to the rear wall? If it matters, I'm looking at a 3055RL BigHorn, but haven't settled on that yet. Unfortunately, I have no BigHorn dealer closeby to measure myself.

BTW #1 - how does everybody like the "Ultra Lube" hubs? Are they anything like the Dexter E-Z Lube ones (or is that SuperLube?)? I haven't seen the Nev-R-Lube axles available as an option, but was told it's good to pull the bearings and check them yearly anyway.

BTW #2 - to anybody with the hide-a-bed air mattress, does the air feature eliminate that feeling of the frame rails under the mattress? I am a heavy guy (275 lbs), and since we have a toddler and maybe one more in the future, I may need to sleep there myself. Just wondering if the air feature adds alot of comfort for this type of application.

Thanks
Gary

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mooooo!!

Well tan my hide Chopper, no leather, its un american to think that way. Some poor old cow gave its all for you. SON, them new shoes sure look good on YOU!! What are they made of, alligator or snake?? Oh, vinal you say, well I used to raise them little criters. Hard to poke holes in for the laces, they are too wiggly. I did find out tho, if you hit them with a leather cowboy boot, them little criters stop wiggin':eek: . You take care now, Ya hear. Kmart and wal-mart has lots of non-leather stuff. BillyBob and Patty:) :) :eek: the cat

ct0218

On my Landmark the sofa can go either in the slide or the rear, but I'm not sure about the Bighorn. You might be able to order it with a sofa in lieu of chairs, or just order a matching sofa. I would think it would be the same. I have the Never-Lube, so I can't help you there.

ChopperBill

Gary, the sofa will not allow the slides to close if you put it in the rear. You can swap out the furniture after you are set up. We tried it and it really makes the living room feel small so we moved everything back immediately after the switch.

soilmovers

I can't help you with the area measurement for the sofa because we are home with our rig parked on a jobsite.
We did move the sofa bed to the rear but it will not clear the slides. It isn't a problem for me to move it back since we move about every two or three months. I like it in this new arrangement.
To make it roomier, I took one recliner and two dining chairs to the house. It works for us and I enjoy the space. Turning the dining table was suggested by other members and it is a great idea.
The air mattress is wonderful. Not your typical sleeper sofa, very comfortable. I tried different sheets and found the knit (t-shirt) fitted sheet works great.
Cindy

Paul & Nan

FWIW--In our 06 BH 3500RL our sofa fits fine in the rear--it came with sofa in slideout-two crappy recliners that were changed out for Lazyboys. The new arrangement works better, we can recline and see TV/fireplace in opposing slide. Nan

GaryB

Thanks all for the advice. Sounds like the depth of the rear recliner area may vary based on which BH model (not deep enough for sofa in 3055, but deep enough in 3500). Then again, maybe the sofas themselves varied in depth. Anyway, I will measure this dimension once I find a unit to look at.

jbeletti

I am uncertain of when, but Heartland did change the depth of the rear cap area at some point.

Same with the new Landmarks - the rear caps are no longer deep enough to fit the depth of the sofa and bring the slides in.

FWIW - in our 2005 Landmark, the rear sofa came positioned in the rear cap. We did change it one season and put the sofa in the slide and recliners in the rear cap. That lasted about 1 weekend. Different strokes for different folks.

Like Paul and Nan, we also replaced our factory supplied swivel/rocker/recliners with La-Z-Boy recliners. Went with the Recline-A-Way type that can fully recline and only be a couple inches out from the rear wall. Smaller, lighter but no rocker/swivel.

Jim