Headed to mackinaw Michigan

diesel_doberman

May 2014, wife and I and inlaws will be taking out campers to mackinaw. We are from Cincinnati ohio. We are wondering where other campers have enjoyed staying up there. We looked at one camp ground on the lake. Camp recall the name and one we found on on the K.__ site.

On the way up we considered staying over in frankenmuth Michigan. Only found a jelly stone cMp site there.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Check out the Pine Ridge CG in Birch Run, which is just south of Frankenmuth. We did our shake-down stay there in 2009. Plenty of pull-through sites.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you stay in Birch Run, be sure to go for breakfast at Tony's on I-75.
You gotta love bacon if you go there.
Mmm, bacon.

Peace
Dave

readytohitheroad

Am a native of this area. There are several campgrounds, some private some state owned on US23 near Mackinaw Island. Also places to camp in St. Ignace which is on the North side of the Mackinaw Bridge. Be aware that even in July-August the weather can be very cool at the straits. Beautiful area!

Kbvols

We stayed at Mackinaw Mills this past summer it is a nice campground with lots of sites. They have big rig sites that are very spacious. Have stayed at the Jellystone in Frankenmuth it is decent campground sites are close they do have an indoor pool and spa which are nice. We like the closeness to downtown Frankenmuth ESP if we hit one of the micro brewery's. also would advise taking 23 north from Toledo to Flint much better roads than 75 thru Detroit.

The Straits State Park, North of Bridge @ St. Ignace is good. Located on The Straits, so you have great views of Bridge from Park. Only water & electric at camp sites with dump station available. Say Yes to The UP, YAH !

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I would agree that Pine Ridge would be preferable to Jellystone, although with Jellystone everything is within walking distance but sites are small. Mill Creek in the lower is, for the most part, a nice park with great views and we are considering it as a site for a future rally since they recently added a Rally area with larger sites.

JohnDar

Am a native of this area. There are several campgrounds, some private some state owned on US23 near Mackinaw Island. Also places to camp in St. Ignace which is on the North side of the Mackinaw Bridge. Be aware that even in July-August the weather can be very cool at the straits. Beautiful area!

We pull our rig to our seasonal site 30 miles south of Mackinac in early May. The May weather can be very unpredictable, and warm is not usually a term used in describing it. If conditions are right, lake effect snow isn't out of the question.

diesel_doberman

We read reviews on the pine ridge cg and there were none that were good. all talked about how rude people were. I also think we would prefer to stay hooked up and just walk to our distanation. Since it's just one night. I know once we get to mackinaw wife wants full hookup and we are hoping for chilly weather. I prefer cold over sweat anyday.

I know we are in a no travel with firewood zone. I was thinking of finding someone on craigslist to buy seasoned wood from. anyone do something different for that?

JohnDar

We read reviews on the pine ridge cg and there were none that were good. all talked about how rude people were. I also think we would prefer to stay hooked up and just walk to our distanation. Since it's just one night. I know once we get to mackinaw wife wants full hookup and we are hoping for chilly weather. I prefer cold over sweat anyday.

I know we are in a no travel with firewood zone. I was thinking of finding someone on craigslist to buy seasoned wood from. anyone do something different for that?

Did you open the link for additional reviews on the page? Not trying to sell the place, but the additional reviews are a mixed bag, with more favorable than not. When we stayed there for three nights, it was mid-April, 2009, cold and wet. I remember a sheet of ice flying off the main slide topper when I retracted the slide to leave (didn't have a supplemental support at that time). There were about 5 other rigs in there. I had no problem manuevering my rig (first time in a park) around the CG to our site. Staff was friendly, too.

As for firewood, there are usually locals selling it all over the place. Even grocery stores may have some.

Stayed at Pine Ridge this past Sept. for the first time. I thought it was a nice campground. Planning on going back next Sept. Thought the people were friendly.
In St. Ignace, about 2 1/2 miles West on US 2 and South on a Side road there is a Campground called Lakeshore Park Campground that isn't bad. Some sites have a view of Lake Michigan and the Straits. Sits up on a hill. I've been there also. Small campground.
Phone: 1-906-643-9522. Or 1-800-643-9522
The Straits State Park is Electric only hookup.
Hope this information may help.

Hockster